Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

Well if we lose Kong. But gain a guy like overbay/tracy/huff at 1st and have Dye DH, and then put Anderson in RF I dont see how we are so worse off than we are today. Konerko got hot in the second half and had a great playoff series. But I think that saving our money for the pitching in the long run makes more sense.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BMac41 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Why do we need Brian Giles?

Let's see, solid LH bat that would look great in our lineup.

Cheaper than PK and will require less years.

Shift Dye to 1B, let Giles play RF and then you have Anderson or a platoon at DH.

Works for me.

Hes worth what he is worth, hes worth what others like him are getting. If some team cough cough tigers wants to extremely overpaythen goodbye. KW knows what hes worth and will do whats best for the team. Paulie is simply not worth 6-7 years @ 80-100 mil. Hes not vlad, arod, ajones, etc. Hes worth garett andersen type money, 4/48. If someone wants to go maggs on him then goodbye.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Hes worth what he is worth, hes worth what others like him are getting.  If some team cough cough tigers wants to extremely overpaythen goodbye.  KW knows what hes worth and will do whats best for the team.  Paulie is simply not worth 6-7 years @ 80-100 mil.  Hes not vlad, arod, ajones, etc.  Hes worth garett andersen type money, 4/48.  If someone wants to go maggs on him then goodbye.

You said it...The guy's batting average does not warrant that kind of money...and how many teams get f***ed by these long term contracts...see Albert Belle.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't believe the hometown discount is a myth at all.  Players have done it.  People do it all the time in other careers, even high-paid, highly competitive ones ones like corporate CEOs.

Money is something to everyone, and everything to some.  I just don't know if Konerko is one of those who it means everything to, today.

Then are chances go down even more. Born in Rhode Island, high school in Arizona. I guess getting closer to Phoenix or RI would be the "home town discount".

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
You said it...The guy's batting average does not warrant that kind of money...and how many teams get f***ed by these long term contracts...see Albert Belle.

Ahh.. the universal example. :rolly

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:18 AM)
Let's see, solid LH bat that would look great in our lineup.

Cheaper than PK and will require less years.

Shift Dye to 1B, let Giles play RF and then you have Anderson or a platoon at DH.

Works for me.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the fact that he is 35 in January. I would rather get the Overbay/Tracy/Huff and keep relatively young.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Then are chances go down even more. Born in Rhode Island, high school in Arizona. I guess getting closer to Phoenix or RI would be the "home town discount".

That may be very true. He's a tough read. Not sure where is heart would take him, or if it would take him at all.

The only way I would give Konerko anymore than 5 years, and really I think that is too long, is if those last couple years are based on performance the previous years. If he hit .220 with 12 homers, I would need the option to void the contract. That isn't going to happen. Paulie is going to have to accept a discounted contract to stay here I believe. Its still not out of the question he wouldn't despite what his father said. If he leaves the Sox will get someone decent to replace him.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
Not too many deals that pan out beyond 5 years work out for the team.  You wind up with an albatross of a contract towards the end of the deal. 

So when does KW contact the Brewers GM for Overbay or the Dbacks GM for Tracy or Huff from the Drays.

RE: Sammy Sosa

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Ahh.. the universal example.  :rolly

Doesn't AB have all the offensive Sox season records that Frank doesn't? IIRC he had a monster year in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Ahh.. the universal example.  :rolly

He f***ed the Orioles pretty hard...they finally have come out of his salary 'cloud'. It amazes me how these teams throw years and money out the window, and then 2 years later want to get rid of these guys...Boston wants Manny out...Texas gets rid of A-Rod...Griffey is killing the Reds...it goes on and on. I say save the money, if it gets crazy, and look to continue to have good pitching and defense...plus we have Rogowski.

Come to think of it, Can anyone on the team, with the exception of Cotts, be considered a hometown guy? I never really paid attention, but it seems most make their primary residence elsewhere.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
He f***ed the Orioles pretty hard...they finally have come out of his salary 'cloud'. 

He didn't f*** anyone. Peter wanted him, Peter called him, Peter pursued him, and Peter got him. They came out of the cloud before the 04 season, and insurance was paying 70+% of the contract anyway.

Well if we save the money, at least we can look at a long term deal for Contreras and Garland this offseason.

Then you'll also save for the future for a new deal for Buehrle, who has next year plus an option year left.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
He didn't f*** anyone. Peter wanted him, Peter called him, Peter pursued him, and Peter got him. They came out of the cloud before the 04 season, and insurance was paying 70+% of the contract anyway.

YOu're right...these teams f*** themselves...I say get all the money you can...and whether or not they were f***ed or not...they certainly used it as a crutch.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)

Exactly, the player never f***s anyone.

They don't force a team to sign or offer a deal.

The team is responsible for the contract, not the player.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Come to think of it, Can anyone on the team, with the exception of Cotts, be considered a hometown guy? I never really paid attention, but it seems most make their primary residence elsewhere.

Frank's moving back full time. He'll be the only one here full time aside from Oz Jr who goes to college here, that I am aware of.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Well if we save the money, at least we can look at a long term deal for Contreras and Garland this offseason.

Then you'll also save for the future for a new deal for Buehrle, who has next year plus an option year left.

How old do you think Contreras really is? There is no way he's anywhere near the 32 that is on his baseball card. But I agree, with the others.