Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

How is PK a better defender than Maggs?

1B is arguably the easiest position to play and Konerko is an above average defender at that position.

Magglio on the other hand plays a much more important position and plays it above average as well. Magglio had and has a plus arm which is damn important for an outfielder.

Considering their respective positions and the way they play them, defensively Maggs>>>>Konerko.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is they offered Maggz that contract b4 his injury. And while he was with the Sox Magglio was never known to be a cancer more so a quiet leader.... Also how is Konerko's defense better? I mean sure in his little zone he is good and he is awesome at scooping balls from the dirt but his range is horrible.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
How is PK a better defender than Maggs?

1B is arguably the easiest position to play and Konerko is an above average defender at that position.

Magglio on the other hand plays a much more important position and plays it above average as well. Magglio had and has a plus arm which is damn important for an outfielder.

Considering their respective positions and the way they play them, defensively Maggs>>>>Konerko.

Read my posts again: RELATIVELY. Of course RF is a more athletically challenging position to play. If you read my posts, you'll see that I specifically said that Maggs is clearly a better athlete.

But none of that matters to a team. What Maggs or PK do defensively only matters relative to other players AT THEOR POSITION. In that battle, PK is better among 1B's defensively than Maggs is among RF's.

and why would you leave out Konerko's lousy 2003.... Thats like saying it didnt happen... well guess what it did...... Thats like people who say lets look at Orton's stats not counting the Cincy game.

And Maggz is definitely a better hitter by a ton... the only thing Konerko does better is hit HR's....

Here we go with the numbers again. If both Mags and Kong are faced with a runner on second and nobody out ........ who is going to force the ball to the right side for the benefit of the team. Just go back 2 years and the preceding several and compare our stats to the Twins. This year we got smart. This year 2 of our stalwart hitters were moved to other cities.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
and why would you leave out Konerko's lousy 2003.... Thats like saying it didnt happen... well guess what it did...... Thats like people who say lets look at Orton's stats not counting the Cincy game.

And Maggz is definitely a better hitter by a ton... the only thing Konerko does better is hit HR's....

I also left out Maggs' injury years. I was trying to make the stats more meaningful by removing years from BOTH players that were aberrant. Basic stats stuff. But I can see the argument not to do that.

However you want to look at it, if an unknown-health Maggs is worth 5/70, then a healthy PK is sure as heck worth 5/60-65.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Here we go with the numbers again.  If both Mags and Kong are faced with a runner on second and nobody out ........ who is going to force the ball to the right side for the benefit of the team.  Just go back 2 years and the preceding several and compare our stats to the Twins.  This year we got smart.  This year 2 of our stalwart hitters were moved to other cities.

Maggs would more than likely come through in that situation while Konerko popped out to short.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
If you gimme a healthy Maggz vs Konerko in that situation.... id take Maggz in a heartbeat.

I think they both have the ability to go the other way. Perhaps Maggs is more suited to inside out the ball. But I think Maggs would be more reluctant to make it happen. I think he is more interested in his own personal numbers. Everyone talks about Konerko being a double play machine, but I seem to remember Maggs rolling his hands over way too often in that situation when he could have gone the other way. I like Konerko's heart more, as a team player. And this is what eventually got us to the promised land.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
They offered 5 years to Maggz b4 his injury..... and b4 that injury Maggz was a much better player than Konerko.

FWIW they didn't pull that offer from the table with Maggs immediately after his injury. As a matter of a fact Ozzie met with Magglio after the season ended to reiterate the offer and to try to get him to take it.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
Here we go with the numbers again.  If both Mags and Kong are faced with a runner on second and nobody out ........ who is going to force the ball to the right side for the benefit of the team.  Just go back 2 years and the preceding several and compare our stats to the Twins.  This year we got smart.  This year 2 of our stalwart hitters were moved to other cities.

Oh, so Magglio is evil too?

Okay, let me add that to my list... Valentin... Lee... Ordonez.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Oh, so Magglio is evil too?

Okay, let me add that to my list...  Valentin...  Lee...  Ordonez.

I have great respect for both Jose and Carlos, Maggs I no longer have any respect for off the field. That being said Maggs is a better player then Paul, not even that close imo.

Uh Oh;

" The Dodgers and Angels have joined the chase of free-agent first baseman Paul Konerko, both seeking a middle-of-the-order bat, and both having spoken to Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, during these meetings."

Granted that KW's intial offer of 4 yrs. / $50M is just that, an opening salvo.

At the same time, how much of a "limit" does that opening offer set? Let's imagine--for the sake of argument--that someone else comes in at 5 or even 6 years at $60+M, will the Sox have set the threshold so "low" that they can't go that high?

Quick questin: When was the last time a high profiled player took less money to stay w/ his previous team? I know it doesn't happen often, but Pauly seems like the kind of guy to take less money to stay w/ us. Just a hunch. I know money talks unfortanately, but being a defending champion talks much louder IMO. And if Pauly walks and heads to a new team- he can't be considered a 'defending champion'.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Quick questin: When was the last time a high profiled player took less money to stay w/ his previous team? I know it doesn't happen often, but Pauly seems like the kind of guy to take less money to stay w/ us. Just a hunch. I know money talks unfortanately, but being a defending champion talks much louder IMO. And if Pauly walks and heads to a new team- he can't be considered a 'defending champion'.

I don't know about staying with his previous team, but it's been said repeatedly that Sheffield took less money to become a Yankee.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
No shock there.

Right now the Dodgers are a mess though, with no manager and no GM. I was hoping they would try to upgrade at one of the corner outfield spots, but it doesn't suprise me they're going after Konerko. He'd be a real GOOD fit there.

QUOTE(Big Hurt Way Back @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
I heard on ESPN that the White Sox have offered a 4 year 52 million contract to Paulie.  I don't know if that is jsut speculation. I think for that price of 13 mil a year Paulie will stay.

That sounds like a very fair offer. But the only thing that scares me- is the length of the deal. He'll probably want a longer deal.

PK should get 3 years at $50 million. Anything longer or for more money is just not worth it. Long term big money deals always turn out to be bad for the team.

If he won't take $16.5 million/year, with a 3-year guarantee, then he's not worth it. Let him go to NY and endure the media circus..

Put Dye at first, put Anderson in right, give Garland some more cash and let the chips fall where they may.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)

I guess Jermaine Dye wasn't the highest of high profile players, but there were a few teams after him and he took less to sign with the Sox because he liked the make-up of the team.

Also Freddy probably took less than his market value to stay with the Sox, i know the Ozzie factor is the reason for that, but he seems to fit.