Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(easyw @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
PK should get 3 years at $50 million. Anything longer or for more money is just not worth it. Long term big money deals always turn out to be bad for the team.

If he won't take $16.5 million/year, with a 3-year guarantee, then he's not worth it. Let him go to NY and endure the media circus..

Put Dye at first, put Anderson in right, give Garland some more cash and let the chips fall where they may.

This is one of the more insane things I've seen people think should be offered to Paul.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PK should get 3 years at $50 million. Anything longer or for more money is just not worth it. Long term big money deals always turn out to be bad for the team.

If he won't take $16.5 million/year, with a 3-year guarantee, then he's not worth it. Let him go to NY and endure the media circus..

Put Dye at first, put Anderson in right, give Garland some more cash and let the chips fall where they may.

You are f***ing insane. There is absolutely no way you give Paul Konerko $16.67M a year. That's $3.67M too much, that money could be used in much better ways than Konerko.

Give me some of that magical drug, Paulie is not even worth 4 years at that price even though he will get it. With that money, the Sox could get Billy Wagner and Brian Giles.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
I guess Jermaine Dye wasn't the highest of high profile players, but there were a few teams after him and he took less to sign with the Sox because he liked the make-up of the team.

Also Freddy probably took less than his market value to stay with the Sox, i know the Ozzie factor is the reason for that, but he seems to fit.

Freddy signed his deal in the middle of 2004, before the Free agency period hit. I think the contract that set the tone for that period was Kris Benson's deal, which was signed in November. After that, there was a pretty decent jump in what pitchers were asking for based on his deal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 04:24 AM)
You are f***ing insane. There is absolutely no way you give Paul Konerko $16.67M a year. That's $3.67M too much, that money could be used in much better ways than Konerko.

I think what Easyw was trying to get across in his post is that money isn't the biggest factor, but the extra years are. He should still be a 120-135 OPS+ player for the next two years, but beyond that, it gets iffy.

But, even I wouldn't go that high.

I want to see what happens with Matsui and the Yankees, so I'm following that closely. There's pretty much only two bats who can replace what Konerko did for us last year, and that's Konerko, and Giles. While Matsui isn't quite the caliber hitter of either of those guys (well -- Win Shares has Matsui being a better hitter than Konerko, but I'm not sure if it's right to compare a LF'er to a 1B-man), he's just a notch below.

Just about one day more till the ball starts rolling... again.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Santana and Sheets both took smaller contracts than what they could of got in the open market.  Santana at the begining of his contract year and Sheets in the middle of it.

Freddie Garcia also took less than he could have received on the open market.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5070298

"Free-agent first baseman Paul Konerko would like a full no-trade clause from the team that signs him, but two of his most interested suitors, the White Sox and Angels, frown on such provisions. The Angels gave right fielder Vladimir Guerrero, shortstop Orlando Cabrera and right-hander Bartolo Colon extremely limited no-trade protection in their free-agent deals."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5070298

"Free-agent first baseman Paul Konerko would like a full no-trade clause from the team that signs him, but two of his most interested suitors, the White Sox and Angels, frown on such provisions. The Angels gave right fielder Vladimir Guerrero, shortstop Orlando Cabrera and right-hander Bartolo Colon extremely limited no-trade protection in their free-agent deals."

The sox would probably be the only team in a position to offer PK a no trade clause. If he's the team leader they say he is, then putting in that clause wouldn't and shouldn't be an issue. That clause will also help lower the money and may be enough to overcome another teams offer of say 5 or 6 years

I say a 4 yr deal for $50 mill with a no trade clause, is more than fair.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
The sox would probably be the only team in a position to offer PK a no trade clause. If he's the team leader they say he is, then putting in that clause wouldn't and shouldn't be an issue. That clause will also help lower the money and may be enough to overcome another teams offer of say 5 or 6 years

I say a 4 yr deal for $50 mill with a no trade clause, is more than fair.

I actually think if the Dodgers are desperate enough, and you don't know what McCourt's feeling right now, they could offer him 5 years with a no trade clause. They really worry me now when it comes to Paulie.

I still think he's gonna end up with around a 65/5 deal from somewhere though. Matsui's contract is probably set the market for him, and he'll definitely want more salary wise.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
I actually think if the Dodgers are desperate enough, and you don't know what McCourt's feeling right now, they could offer him 5 years with a no trade clause. They really worry me now when it comes to Paulie.

I still think he's gonna end up with around a 65/5 deal from somewhere though. Matsui's contract is probably set the market for him, and he'll definitely want more salary wise.

I think 5 years will scare NL clubs away as the DH option makes sense in Paul's case ina couple of years as well as to get him days off.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

The sox could go 5 yrs w/ a no-trade, as they have the DH in case of an injury. The dodgers could as well. If an offer was the same, it would be in PK's court--play close to home with the team that drafted him or play with the sox?

I think the no-trade clause could be key. If Vlad didn't get one with the angels, how would that look with Pk getting one? With the angels deep in prospects--with Morales [who they're paying big bucks to] and Kotchman at 1b, why guarantee 5 yrs a slow power hitting slugger who has less than a .280 career avg?

Saw this on ESPN's Daily Quickie...don't know what his sources are, but this could be a good thing.

Konerko Gets Deal?

Four years, $52 million is reportedly Chicago's preemptive offer to the would-be free-agent (via Daily Southtown).

The ALCS MVP wants five years, but that $13M/year price seems pretty generous. At least Chicago is making an attempt.

(Keep dreaming, Red Sox fans. Reportedly, he has no interest in coming to Boston. That makes the next item even more intriguing ...)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:26 PM)
Sorry if this is elsewhere, KW leaning toward Gload as plan B ??

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox10.html

No big suprise here... We all know Kenny likes to swing for the fences.

Rumors circulating at the general managers' meetings have the Sox in the trade market for the Philadelphia Phillies' Jim Thome or the Florida Marlins' Carlos Delgado. But for either of those plans to come to fruition, the current team would have to pick up a hefty chunk of the remaining salary.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
FWIW, ESPN 1000 is saying via Levine that the Sox may be interested in Helton from the Rockies... anyone know hiw contract status?

He has a mammoth contract.

'06 - $16.6M

'07 - $16.6M

'08 - $16.6M

'09 - $16.6M

'10 - $16.6M

'11 - $19.1M

'12 - Team Option - $23M, $4.6M buyout

+ has ability to void deal after 2007 and become a Free Agent, if he notifies the team of his decision by Nov. 15, 2006

+ COMPLETE NO-TRADE CLAUSE

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
He has a mammoth contract.

'06 - $16.6M

'07 - $16.6M

'08 - $16.6M

'09 - $16.6M

'10 - $16.6M

'11 - $19.1M

'12 - Team Option - $23M, $4.6M buyout

+ has ability to void deal after 2007 and become a Free Agent, if he notifies the team of his decision by Nov. 15, 2006

+ COMPLETE NO-TRADE CLAUSE

giant contract, but they could get him cheap in terms of prospects. plus colorado im sure would eat some of it. id do it in a heart beat if the sox can get col to pay a hefty chunk. The guys a flat obp machine. had a dip in power last year, but his doubles were still high, so much of it can return. ive never seen a guy rake as much as he does and get talked about so little. granted coors has alot to do with it prolly, his numbers in this decade are pujols like

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
giant contract, but they could get him cheap in terms of prospects. plus colorado im sure would eat some of it. id do it in a heart beat if the sox can get col to pay a hefty chunk. The guys a flat obp machine. had a dip in power last year, but his doubles were still high, so much of it can return. ive never seen a guy rake as much as he does and get talked about so little. granted coors has alot to do with it prolly, his numbers in this decade are pujols like

huge contract, i imagine for it to make sense the Rockies would have to take more than what PK ends up signing for.

If it works out financially and PK walks, I'm OK with Helton. Delgado or Helton would be really interesting for me (even Matsui?) because the ball jumps out of the Cell, and it seems to jump out the most to right center, so a power hitting lefty hitting 3rd or 4th was always intriguing to me.

lol, on a side note, it seems that Mike Murphy (huge Cubs fan and original bleacher bum) is obsessed with the Sox this offseason. I tune into his show once in awhile and he always talks about PK and what the Sox will or won't do. Between this and some of my friends, the true Cubs fans are taking the Sox championship pretty hard. poor them...

a lot of them like to think, hope, that the Sox will let PK walk, let Gload play 1st and then trade Contreras or B-Mac for a bag of balls...

Personally I feel the Sox will end up around 90m in payroll, just have no clue on how that's going to shake out though

Edited by SoxFan562004