Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
tom dorr on 670.

What a trip. I went to school with Dore. I’ll never forget it as long as I live. Our first grade teacher at St. John Vianny, Mrs. Kalenowski, used to mark Dore’s growth on the wall. The kid grew an inch a month. His parents bought a house in Franklin Park when he was a freshman so that he could transfer to East Leyden, which had a better basketball program than West Leyden.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
I hope your right Jordan! We need him back.

I heard on a local talk show this weekend that he's leaning toward the Angels. Yikes. Apparently they don't want any of Manny's troubles and are ready to throw some serious cash at Paulie, one of those offers he can't refuse. Anyone else hear this?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
I heard on a local talk show this weekend that he's leaning toward the Angels. Yikes. Apparently they don't want any of Manny's troubles and are ready to throw some serious cash at Paulie, one of those offers he can't refuse. Anyone else hear this?

They are probably refering to Bob Kalpisch's article

Minaya's real prize, of course, was Delgado and the effect he would have on the rest of the lineup, not to mention the payroll. The GM said he was able to take on an additional $41 million over the next three years by trading Mike Cameron to the Padres, the only team that didn't ask the Mets to absorb some of his $7 million salary. With that increased flexibility, Minaya didn't need to think twice about acquiring Delgado - not that he ever would, especially with Paul Konerko getting closer to signing with the Angels

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Pauly has every right to test his market value. But as a Sox fan- I would like it if once- JUST ONCE one of our high talented free agents actually remain on our team. Colon left for the warm weather and more money. Ordonez left for more years and more money. NOW I hope Pauly doesn't follow suit. Is there such thing as loyalty any more? We will soon found out by the end of next week.

:pray: Please stay Pauly! If you don't- then KW will have to make more trades and we don't want to lose anymore of our chamionship roster!

Buster Olney was on Mike & Mike saying Anaheim is tried of the Manny drama and is waiting in the weeds on Kong....Olney seems to think Anaheim will offer Paulie more moeny than the Sox are willing to offer...hench he will end up with the Angels...TIFWIW though being that is Olney....

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Buster Olney was on Mike & Mike saying Anaheim is tried of the Manny drama and is waiting in the weeds on Kong....Olney seems to think Anaheim will offer Paulie more moeny than the Sox are willing to offer...hench he will end up with the Angels...TIFWIW though being that is Olney....

Someone told me they heard (yeah, yeah I know) on Comcast Sports Net that Ana. had already offered Pauly 4-5 years at 75 mil.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
Someone told me they heard (yeah, yeah I know) on Comcast Sports Net that Ana. had already offered Pauly 4-5 years at 75 mil.

Well which is it. 4 years or 5? That is a big difference. 15 million a year or 18.75?

If it is 15 I think we will match it. If it is 18.75 you can kiss him goodbye. 15 is bordering on overpaying for Paulie. 18.75 is way overpaying for him.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Well which is it. 4 years or 5? That is a big difference. 15 million a year or 18.75?

If it is 15 I think we will match it. If it is 18.75 you can kiss him goodbye. 15 is bordering on overpaying for Paulie. 18.75 is way overpaying for him.

He's being overpayed in both cases.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
He's being overpayed in both cases.

agreed.....in 5 years i guarantee konerko will not be worth 15 million a year....in fact in 2 years konerko wont be worth 15 million a year. Kenny has done a great job at not overpayign players. in kennys history he has not signed one player to a truly bad contract. its just stupid to pay a guy like konerko superstar money for 5 years when in fact he has only been a "superstar" for 1-2 years in his 8 year career. It seems he has reached his peak now at the age of 28 and 29, which is expected, but a good projection says when he hits 31, he will regress to hitting .280 with 25 homers, hardly worth 15 million when you could have a prospect like anderson hitting .260 and 20 homers for 1 million by that time

Edited by daa84

If Paulie does bolt than there was more to it than just money. You can think of it 2 ways, that he was a big reason the Sox won the WS, which he was, but also the Sox and Ozzie put him in a position to produce those numbers. He would not have done that batting 3rd or 5th. Just a thought.

He was floundering with LA and Cincy when the Sox picked him up and gave him a shot. He doesn't owe anyone anything and I know it is a business but hell, Chipper Jones just restructured his deal from $17 million to $11 million for 2006. He is putting his team in front of himself.

The bottom line is if Paulie wants more money than the reported 4yr/$52 million then he is not the type of guy the Sox want on the team. I figure there is some flex room with the numbers, but I don't see the Sox going up in guaranteed years, maybe a 5th year team option with buyout.

daa84, he is actually 29 going on 30 (born March 1976), but I don't think Paulie is going to get that bad that quick, he is only turning 30, so there won't be a drop off until 33 or 34. He can also move to DH in a couple of years which will help out a lot. Playing half your games in The Cell will also help his numbers.

Edited by WinninUgly

There are still basically zero rumors out here on the west coast about Anaheim having offered Konerko anything substantial other than some brief talk about a 4 year, $40 million offer a few weeks ago. So if the Angels have made a big push...no one out here knows anything about it...and I find it really odd that the Chicago people would know more about offers from Anaheim to PK than the media in LA.

If KW was serious when he said he wanted this to be over by the end of the winter meetings...it's officially crunch time now though.

Oh, and I believe that the Chipper Jones restructuring was good for both Chipper and the team...Chipper would take less money per year, but in exchange he'd get an option year turned into a guaranteed year at a lower price, and since Atlanta almost certainly would not have picked up the option...he gets extra money that way.

I can't blame Konerko one iota for testing the waters to see what his value is. And let's say the Angels do offer him $15M per for 5 years and the Sox offer $13 per for 4 with an option on the 5th year, I don't think Paulie's a bad guy for taking the Angels offer. The difference in guaranteed money is $23M. Does anyone really expect a guy to leave that much money on the table for the sake of loyalty?

It's a business, too. Just like when Kenny Williams couldn't consider the 'loyalty' issue when he traded Rowand.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
I can't blame Konerko one iota for testing the waters to see what his value is.  And let's say the Angels do offer him $15M per for 5 years and the Sox offer $13 per for 4 with an option on the 5th year, I don't think Paulie's a bad guy for taking the Angels offer.   The difference in guaranteed money is $23M.  Does anyone really expect a guy to leave that much money on the table for the sake of loyalty? 

It's a business, too.  Just like when Kenny Williams couldn't consider the 'loyalty' issue when he traded Rowand.

It is also common sense.

What is easier for the White Sox to replace right now? A solid defensive outfielder that will hit .270 - .300 with 13-20 HRs and 60-70 RBIs? Or a left handed power bat that could hit 40 HRs and 120 RBI? Since the Sox have been after a left handed power bat since ...... forever... I am going with that one.

Not only was it business, but common sense. I don't care what prospects were involved. I don't care that Rowand was a stooge. Thome is a good clubhouse guy as well and I am sure he will fit right in.

This argument that it is a bad trade is so ridiculous. I will miss Rowand as much as anyone because he seemed like such a class act and a great guy. But come on, give me a break already.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
I can't blame Konerko one iota for testing the waters to see what his value is.  And let's say the Angels do offer him $15M per for 5 years and the Sox offer $13 per for 4 with an option on the 5th year, I don't think Paulie's a bad guy for taking the Angels offer.  The difference in guaranteed money is $23M.  Does anyone really expect a guy to leave that much money on the table for the sake of loyalty? 

It's a business, too.  Just like when Kenny Williams couldn't consider the 'loyalty' issue when he traded Rowand.

Yes, I wouldn't expect Konerko to leave that much on the table either.

But let's say that the Angels and Chisox come up like $4 million apart? What would you say then? Like we offer $12 million over 4 and the Angels offer $13 million over 4? I think that Konerko would actually be better off taking the Chicago deal - he'd have far better options for endorsements in the city where he won a ring than he would in Anaheim, where Scoscia and Guerrero have already dug in their nails. Especially without a Sosa on the north side any more.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
This article paints a negative picture on our hopes to re-sign Konerko:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap28.html

This dude is an ass.

Only a few soft-headed fans -- who believed Rowand was the spirit of the Sox' championship season, who were charmed by his devoutly expressed desire to stay in Chicago and who bought into the nonsense teams like to spread about locker-room ''chemistry'' -- were upset to see him go.

I guess he figures you can't be upset to see Rowand go, but still like the trade?