Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

We mustn't forget that Thome shares an agent with Konerko. They both have Craig Landis. I don't think he would allow one of his clients to take money from another client. So, there is still a chance Paulie will sign because Landis made sure the Sox were still bidders before the Thome trade was done.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Wow, wow, wow. :headshake

That article is ridiculous. I can't ever see Konerko getting booed in Chicago. Even if he took a little bit more money some place else I couldn't see him ever getting booed. He helped bring us a MLB World Championship. How can you possibly boo that?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
I can't blame Konerko one iota for testing the waters to see what his value is.  And let's say the Angels do offer him $15M per for 5 years and the Sox offer $13 per for 4 with an option on the 5th year, I don't think Paulie's a bad guy for taking the Angels offer.  The difference in guaranteed money is $23M.  Does anyone really expect a guy to leave that much money on the table for the sake of loyalty? 

It's a business, too.  Just like when Kenny Williams couldn't consider the 'loyalty' issue when he traded Rowand.

I would never blame a player for taking the money. But how many on this board lit into Ordonez for taking $75 million from Detroit, and lit into him for hiring Boras, who is well known for getting his clients maximum dollars, when the White Sox offered him $60 million and he turned it down?

I think the Sox are making a mistake putting a deadline on Konerko re-signing, unless they really wouldn't be all that upset he refuses their offer.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
That article is ridiculous. I can't ever see Konerko getting booed in Chicago. Even if he took a little bit more money some place else I couldn't see him ever getting booed. He helped bring us a MLB World Championship. How can you possibly boo that?

He would never get booed here unless he decided to bad mouth the organization upon on his departure *cough cough*

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
He would never get booed here unless he decided to bad mouth the organization upon on his departure  *cough cough*

I agree. The only way Paulie gets booed at USCF is if he signs with the Sox, and stinks up the joint his last couple years of the contract.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
I would never blame a player for taking the money. But how many on this board lit into Ordonez for taking $75 million from Detroit, and lit into him for hiring Boras, who is well known for getting his clients maximum dollars, when the White Sox offered him $60 million and he turned it down?

I think the Sox are making a mistake putting a deadline on Konerko re-signing, unless they really wouldn't be all that upset he refuses their offer.

I think the Ordonez backlash was almost all from his lying to the team and calling the organization and its leaders liars, and cheats essentially. To me it seemed like the monetary amount didn't matter, but his dirty dealings are what pissed off people the most. No one complains about Robin Ventura taking more money from the Mets do they? I think if Ordonez hadn't tried to get down and dirty with the Sox, not many would have faulted him for taking that much more money.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
I think the Ordonez backlash was almost all from his lying to the team and calling the organization and its leaders liars, and cheats essentially.

Bingo. People have to understand the business part of baseball and that's just part of the game. I started to hate maggs because he became a complete asshole.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
I think the Ordonez backlash was almost all from his lying to the team and calling the organization and its leaders liars, and cheats essentially.  To me it seemed like the monetary amount didn't matter, but his dirty dealings are what pissed off people the most.  No one complains about Robin Ventura taking more money from the Mets do they?  I think if Ordonez hadn't tried to get down and dirty with the Sox, not many would have faulted him for taking that much more money.

Ventura got lowballed by Schueler. He made him an offer that wasn't close to what he was being offered elsewhere. I agree, Ordonez was ripped for his comments, but he also was called greedy. People should bow to him. If he re-signed with the Sox, the wait would be up to 89 years now.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
We mustn't forget that Thome shares an agent with Konerko.  They both have Craig Landis.  I don't think he would allow one of his clients to take money from another client.  So, there is still a chance Paulie will sign because Landis made sure the Sox were still bidders before the Thome trade was done.

I'm pretty sure Thome's agent is Pat Rooney not Landis.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Yes, I wouldn't expect Konerko to leave that much on the table either.

But let's say that the Angels and Chisox come up like $4 million apart?  What would you say then?  Like we offer $12 million over 4 and the Angels offer $13 million over 4?  I think that Konerko would actually be better off taking the Chicago deal - he'd have far better options for endorsements in the city where he won a ring than he would in Anaheim, where Scoscia and Guerrero have already dug in their nails.  Especially without a Sosa on the north side any more.

I'd say that there are other things a man has to take into consideration. If it was that important for PK to be near his home, then so be it. The Angels are a good organization. There are a lot more circumstances that a guy has to consider than just public perception.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Ventura got lowballed by Schueler. He made him an offer that wasn't close to what he was being offered elsewhere. I agree, Ordonez was ripped for his comments, but he also was called greedy. People should bow to him. If he re-signed with the Sox, the wait would be up to 89 years now.

I know for me the greed comments came out of his negotitating tactics. If he had been honest about things, and still wanted more money fine, but when you resort to playing dirty, the labels will get stuck on you, fair or not.

And honestly I am glad Ordonez was gone after the way he acted. Plus his money being gone made room for Contreras and Garcia to be aquired. I'd call them pretty important to our success.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

I don't think he was low balled ( :lol: ). The Sox made a fair offer, the Mets made him the highest paid third baseman at the time. I think the Sox turned out right because I don't think Ventura ever played like it. That being said he is one of my top three favorite Sox players of all time.

The thing that really pissed me off about Ordonez was that I felt like he was lying to me.

Magglio Ordonez said repeatedly that he wanted to stay with the White Sox throughout 2004. However, when the time came that the Sox could actually have made a decision on him...he refused to give the Sox any access to him.

Ordonez refused to be examined or work out for anyone until after the arbitration deadline had come and gone. Since he would have made around $14 million in 05 had he gone to arbitration, the Sox couldn't have possibly offered him arbitration without at least getting a look at his knee.

It was that moment that he proved to me he was lying to me every other time he said he wanted to come back - that meant he didn't even want to receive an offer from the Sox, even if it turned out to be the best offer he got.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Someone told me they heard (yeah, yeah I know) on Comcast Sports Net that Ana. had already offered Pauly 4-5 years at 75 mil.

Not true. if that had been offered it would be in one of the papers here or on the radio.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Not true.  if that had been offered it would be in one of the papers here or on the radio.

I've been amazed at how little talk there seems to have been regarding Konerko out here, or any FA's for that matter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
I've been amazed at how little talk there seems to have been regarding Konerko out here, or any FA's for that matter.

Ya. The Dodgers are too concerned with finding a new manager (and they should be). I think they are going to hire Grady Little (that would be a good hire, imo). I thought he got the shaft in Boston.

The Angels front has been very quiet. They need to find at least one more starting pitcher. The word is that Colon will be healthy, but some within the organization think its risky to count on him.

They also will need another reliever (unless they plan on leaving Escobar in the pen). If thats the case than I think they need two more starters.

Washburn is gone and Byrd is a FA (I swore they signed him to a two year deal but I guess not, although I think the Angels would like Byrd back for another year).

Hell I haven't even heard them mention Paul Konerko out here in some time (at least in any seriousness or with news involved). Fans will call in and suggest the name, but as of now there haven't been any reports of talks with the Angels (not for about 2 weeks and it sounds like you've heard the same balta).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
The Angels also need a catcher unless they want the backup Molina to fill that role...and probably an upgrade at DH after last year.

A lot of people are hinting that the Angels are going to go with Jose Molina. All I can say is that they are nuts if they think Jose can do it. Jose freaking blows. A ton of Angel fans keep telling me that he's there best catcher and that he's actually better than Bengie but thats so far from the truth its not even funny.

I follow the Angels 2nd to only the Sox and they are going to find themselves in a lot of trouble if they aren't active on the trade front. They have quite a few holes to fill and part of me feels they should go after a few solid players as opposed to another super star (like Manny). Of course if they can do both, than I would have no problem with that.

As long as that one superstar isn't named Paul Konerko.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
I don't think he was low balled ( :lol: ). The Sox made a fair offer, the Mets made him the highest paid third baseman at the time. I think the  Sox turned out right because I don't think Ventura ever played like it. That being said he is one of my top three favorite Sox players of all time.

The Sox offer to Ventura was insulting.

I think the only good explanation for why the Angels seem to be silent is that they have to be seriously spending time on Manny. They have so many other holes that they need to fill and the money to fill them that I find it quite surprising that they're still quiet.

Hopefully the fact that they're being quiet will give KW the time he needs to get something done with PK.

One thing about the Angels...when they write deals with people, the deals they write seem like smart deals at the time, unlike some of the stuff we've seen lately. Even the Finley deal, which blew up in their faces, looked good at the time it was written.

I don't see the Angels giving Konerko an obscene deal, because I don't see the Angels giving anyone an "Obscene" deal. They seem like they know what they're doing. And furthermore, they still have youth on the way up which can play 1b, and plugging in a young guy there would help them free up money to spend on other spots. They did it with Percival, Glaus, etc, I find it hard to imagine them doing the exact opposite with PK.

I tend to disagree with you. I thought they gave rather foolish deals to both Finley and Cabrerra. I hated both moves at the time and I think they would regret both (the Finley one more so). That said Cabrerra is as advertised defensively and he's best friends with Vladdy.

I am not a fan of Bill Stoneman.

Since you are out in Cali... just wondering what you have heard about Konerko?

I would believe that if Anaheim was serious about Paulie, that they would be trying to get him to come visit this week. I think the next two days will tell us where Paul Konerko will be playing the rest of his career.

Why would Paulie want to move to an entirely different clubhouse where he would have to meet new people and get acclumated? He should just stay here where he has friends. The Sox need to simply match any angels offer and I believe he will be a White Sox player for the next 4-5 years. I really think he is using the Angels to drive up the price for himself with the Sox, or I could be completely wrong and he is using the Sox.

I am looking at it this way........."no news is good news!" in regards to konerko. If his name isn't being mentioned then that is good. So far real quiet on the konerko front, there hasn;t been anything reallly mentioned about him since about a week after the world series. So hopefully this works out.

White Sox free-agent slugger Paul Konerko has spoken a couple of times by phone to his high school coach, Jerry Dawson, since the World Series ended.

"I know that he loves Chicago and he loves the people," Dawson said Monday from Scottsdale, Ariz. "All things being equal, or close to equal, I know that he would prefer to stay in Chicago."

Dawson said he has not specifically brought up the topic of Konerko's free-agent options—"I would never do that." But he knows "Paul will make a smart decision. He is not your normal athlete."

Konerko's former high school hitting coach, Mark Miller, and Dawson sat in the left-field bleachers at U.S. Cellular Field when Konerko blasted a grand slam against Houston in Game 2 of the World Series.

"We were about 30 feet away from where the ball landed. It was an awesome experience," Dawson said. "I got goose bumps when I heard the fans chanting Paul's name."