Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
& KW almost gave JG & PK for Randy Johnson 2 years ago only to have AZ GM say wasnt enough to deal for....

Randy Johnson was the big factor in that deal when he said he wanted to go to somewhere he could win right away, aka New York.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
I just have to post it for my assurance.  These rumors are starting to scare me.  I really want PK back.

As do I...for about a week now I've had my heart set on having the 2nd best 3-4 combo in the big leagues, and that just doesn't work without PK.

We lose PK, and offensively I think we're right where we were last year, and that's assuming that Thome stays healthy.

Konerko + Rowand + Everett (and a whiff of Thomas) ~ Thome + Anderson in his 1st year + Gload or some combination of cheap Free agents and moved people, in my opinion.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
As do I...for about a week now I've had my heart set on having the 2nd best 3-4 combo in the big leagues, and that just doesn't work without PK.

We lose PK, and offensively I think we're right where we were last year, and that's assuming that Thome stays healthy.

Konerko + Rowand + Everett (and a whiff of Thomas) ~ Thome + Anderson in his 1st year + Gload or some combination of cheap Free agents and moved people, in my opinion.

Yep. Until Konerko is officialy signed, he's my biggest concern. I still don't want to see Frank play in another uniform, ever. However, I'd much rather see the Sox have Kong-Thome rather than Thomas-Thome.

If Konerko ends up gone, then I'll start campaigning for Frank again.

I'd love to see a Konerko deal, but the Sox are going to have to match the highest offer in order to keep him.

I just don't see any type of discount happening.

Go ahead with the 5/65 offer, JR.

Get it done.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
George Offman did say that Konerko is leaning heavily toward returning to the Sox.

If I didn't know better, I would think that someone recently told Offman that PK is coming back. He thought a decision would be made before Friday. He also said that Thome talked to him on the phone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
If I didn't know better, I would think that someone recently told Offman that PK is coming back.  He thought a decision would be made before Friday.  He also said that Thome talked to him on the phone.

Offman said that he thought a decision would be made before Friday? Anyways, at this point I don't think anyone knows what the hell is going on, to be honest.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
If I didn't know better, I would think that someone recently told Offman that PK is coming back.  He thought a decision would be made before Friday.  He also said that Thome talked to him on the phone.

I though that was a very interesting update from Offman. We could see a Konerko signing sometime soon by the way he said it. I'm thinking Thome made a good impression on Konerko and could sway him toward comming back.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
I though that was a very interesting update from Offman. We could see a Konerko signing sometime soon by the way he said it. I'm thinking Thome made a good impression on Konerko and could sway him toward comming back.

It is Offman

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
so should we all buy champagne and pour it all over our selves again if paulie signs..

not that it makes us a lock for a repeat but it makes it a lock that we get to see our coveted 3/4 combo =D

Nothing makes us a lock and you know that, especially given injuries...but if PK resigns, the world champs will have done more to improve themselves than any other team in baseball this year.

BMac into the 5th starter spot

Jenks starting the season as closer

Hermanson hopefully as a setup man if healthy enough

Long relief - El Duque

Bench - hopefully rid ourselves of Timo

DH - swap Everett for Thome

CF - Anderson in for Rowand

The only one which doesn't look like a significant upgrade over last year on paper is Anderson in for Rowand, but that's only because Anderson's younger...he's almost certainly got a bigger upside - faster, more power, could hit for same average as ARow, better throwing arm.

If you put Thome in that lineup for Everett...you've basically fixed some of the biggest problems we had all last year - no big left handed bat, no bat to support Konerko, nobody drawing walks, nobody who can play 1b and give PK a break.

Without PK signing, we're in probably worse shape than last year - we have Thome, but it's not a great idea for him to play the field every day, we don't have a good bat to put next to him, and we're still missing a lot of OBP.

Apparently

According to a source close to the situation, the Angels have made Paul Konerko an offer of close to 65 million for five years, and he's expected to make a decision on the contract sometime this week. The Chicago White Sox free agent first baseman, who helped lead the team to the World Series title, is due in town today or Tuesday to meet with Angel officials and look around the area for possible housing. More details as they become available........

http://1bignasty.com/jblog/columns.html

Apparently this guy is very reliable and broke several sport stories first like Shaq signing to the Lakers, Magic Johnson coming back, Angels getting Kendry Morales, and the Vlad signing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:33 PM)
The only one which doesn't look like a significant upgrade over last year on paper is Anderson in for Rowand, but that's only because Anderson's younger...he's almost certainly got a bigger upside - faster, more power, could hit for same average as ARow, better throwing arm.

Because Rowand didn't have that great of an offensive year it becomes easier for Anderson to put up similar numbers. I'm not sure Anderson would put up the same numbers that Rowand did in 2004, but who knows if Aaron will produce those again either. Rowand's defense will be hard to replace, but I keep hearing from different media sources and this and other boards that the White Sox organization is high on Anderson's defense.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
So what now? What if he's right and PK is gone? What's a backup plan?

Only Kenny knows. Nomar is a possibility, Troy Glaus maybe, Sammy Sosa, who knows but KW has a backup plan in case he does bolt and I have full confidence in him to find a very good replacement.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
So what now? What if he's right and PK is gone? What's a backup plan?

He didn't say anything about PK being gone. He said the Angels offered 5/65 and PK was going to make a decision on if he wanted to take that this week.

And that was on Sunday.

Edited by jphat007