How's my outfit look...??

Steff

Lord I am so bored today... :lol:

Brown Discussed Wardrobe During Katrina

WASHINGTON - Newly-released e-mails show former FEMA director Michael Brown discussing his wardrobe during the crisis caused by Hurricane Katrina.

A House panel has released 23 pages of internal e-mail offering additional evidence of a confused and distracted government response to Katrina, particularly from Brown, the former head of Federal Emergency Management Agency, at critical moments after the storm hit.

The e-mails show that Brown, who had been planning to step down from his post when the storm hit, was preoccupied with his image on television even as one of the first FEMA officials to arrive in New Orleans, Marty Bahamonde, was reporting a crisis situation of increasing chaos to FEMA officials.

"My eyes must certainly be deceiving me. You look fabulous — and I'm not talking the makeup," writes Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of public affairs to Brown on 7:10 a.m. local time on Aug. 29.

"I got it at Nordstroms," Brown writes back. "Are you proud of me? Can I quit now? Can I go home?" An hour later, Brown adds: "If you'll look at my lovely FEMA attire, you'll really vomit. I am a fashion god."

A week later, Brown's aide, Sharon Worthy, reminds him to pay heed to his image on TV. "In this crises and on TV you just need to look more hardworking ... ROLL UP THE SLEEVES!" Worthy wrote, noting that even President Bush "rolled his sleeves to just below the elbow."

Some lawmakers immediately decried the e-mails.

The e-mails "depict a leader who seemed overwhelmed and rarely made key decisions," said U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-La. He criticized Brown for addressing "superficial subjects — such as Mr. Brown's appearance or reputation — rather than the pressing response needs of Louisiana and Mississippi."

Jeez Louise. This morning when I saw the lines “I got it at Nordstrom’s… I quit now. Can I go home” superimposed over Brown’s face on the front page of the online Tribune, I thought it was some headline writer’s ironic take on Brown’s words. But now I see Brown actually said that (and more!). He sounds like a teenager.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Thank Goodness that we can trust the Bush Administration to put quality people in positions of authority.

When Bush called him "Brownie" on National Television I knew that guy was high maintenance :lol:

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
I had a feeling things were going to go south for this guy quick when he was so defiant and laying blame on everyone but himself during his public shaming errr investigative probe into his actions.

I had a feeling things were going to go south for this guy when President Bush said he was doing a heck of a job.

I saw that and started laughing. How many other qualified people has the government hired and placed in important positions? And I know Bush isn't the first President to have a loser in such a position, but this is clearly over the top.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I saw that and started laughing. How many other qualified people has the government hired and placed in important positions? And I know Bush isn't the first President to have a loser in such a position, but this is clearly over the top.

Tex, you're from CHICAGO--land of pork barrelling. Do you really wonder how often this happens? I thought we all KNEW. :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)

Bush was a moron for putting a guy like this in charge of FEMA. If you want to put someone in charge of something as a favor you put him/her in a position where they cant hurt anyone not somewhere like FEMA where millions of people potentially could be depending on you.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Bush was a moron for putting a guy like this in charge of FEMA.  If you want to put someone in charge of something as a favor you put him/her in a position where they cant hurt anyone not somewhere like FEMA where millions of people potentially could be depending on you.

That is unless they give you a bunch of campaign contributions. Then you give them a night at the White House, or a pardon, or a good word with the SEC, or some nuclear technology...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
In something this big there is much more than just 1 person to blame.....

Yup. His boss, Chertoff...and his boss, GWB could all stand some blame. Also, the guy who he replaced at FEMA - Joe Allbaugh, the guy who has now turned into a super lobbyist...the Senators who confirmed him in 27 minutes, the Republicans who would have called the Democrats "Obstructionists" if they tried to slow down his nomination, and of course, the Arabian Horse Traders association, for not teaching him about how to manage a disaster.