just wondering

sec159row2

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
will there be an investigation into who leaked information about secret CIA prisons around the world...  or is it OK to leak info that  stains the bush administration?

There would only be an investigation where there was a law that was broken.

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act is a law that refers specifically to 1 type of leak; leaking the name of a CIA agent under cover.

If you can point me at a law that would cover this circumstance, then yes there should be an investigation. Although, usually there aren't laws regarding leaks that point out that the CIA is doing something damn near illegal.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Oh, that's nice.  Beautiful.  So whenever it fits an agenda one way, it's ok, but it's not ok in another?  It's the same damn thing.  Period.

No, when it's against the law, there's an investigation. Find me the law that says its illegal to leak a thing the CIA is doing, not the name of a person.

Furthermore...given that what the administration has done may very well be illegal, or at least in violation of the laws of the countries in which the people were held...do you think they'd want an investigation into how it leaked, when that investigation could expose the other things that have been done? (treatment of the prisoners in those faciliteis, for example).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
No, when it's against the law, there's an investigation.  Find me the law that says its illegal to leak a thing the CIA is doing, not the name of a person.

Furthermore...given that what the administration has done may very well be illegal, or at least in violation of the laws of the countries in which the people were held...do you think they'd want an investigation into how it leaked, when that investigation could expose the other things that have been done?  (treatment of the prisoners in those faciliteis, for example).

A blown operation is a blown operation. And it's just convenient that it's blown, all in the name of "political correctness"?

I know why the law was written. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
A blown operation is a blown operation.  And it's just convenient that it's blown, all in the name of "political correctness"?

I know why the law was written.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Well, let me say this then...if there were law to support going after people for leaking data about an operation, and this qualified as an operation, then there should be an investigation. I do not believe such a law exists, however, but if the law did exist, then it should be investigated.

However, it is worth noting that the reason there was an investigation into the Plame matter is that the CIA itself realized that her cover had been blown, so they asked the DOJ for the investigation into who blew it, under the IIPA.

If the CIA were to do the same thing in this case, then hopefully there would be a similar investigation.

However, as I said above...given that the behavior itself was likely in some fashion illegal...at any number of steps, the government could very easily decide to kill the investigation, and it probably would choose to do so.

I wonder if now would be a good time to point out that under the federal criminal conspiracy laws, it is also a felony "to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose." I can point out a few other things I'd love to investigate under that statute.

One of the most basic protections we have as Americans is from our own government. The right to free speech allows us to clean up our own government. If something illegal is going on, whether it is illegal truck leases or CIA ilegal prisons, cruelty to prisoners, outsourcing interrogations to countries that allow torture, etc. we can and will talk about it.

So I don't care who is in power, if something illegal is going on, I say let's shine a light on it and fix it.

CIA prisons 'in Poland, Romania'

From correspondents in Washington

November 04, 2005

FLIGHT records and other evidence points to Poland and Romania as countries that allowed their territory to be used by the CIA to hold top suspected al-Qaeda captives, Human Rights Watch said overnight.

Tom Malinowski, the Washington director of the human rights group, said the evidence, though circumstantial, strongly pointed to Poland and Romania as being among the unidentified eastern European countries referred to in a Washington Post report yesterday on secret CIA-run prisons.

Mr Malinowski said sources in Afghanistan told the New York-based rights organisation that top al-Qaeda suspects, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, were moved out of Afghanistan in September 2003.

The same month, a Boeing 737 leased by the CIA to transport prisoners departed from Kabul and made stops at remote airfields in Poland and Romania before continuing on to Morocco and then to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, he said.

"It's a large aircraft so one could imagine a large group of detainees flying on this plane, as against some other smaller executive jets that they used," he said.

Advertisement:

Adblock

"The fact that it stops in eastern Europe, then Morocco and then Guantanamo suggests different classes of prisoners being deposited in different places," he said.

I never said that anything was "unlawful" according to present laws, but the "leaks" of this kind are just as damaging.

Hell yes, the CIA does stuff that we will NEVER find out about. It's one of the reasons we sit here right now and debate this s***.

as they say "loose lips sink ships" and ya don't talk about what the CIA does cause the CIA does "dirty work" ...ya don't talk about agents 'cause it could endanger lives ... and ya don't talk about countries that help us cause it could also endanger lives... bush has to have enemies in the CIA that stuff like this gets out... I can't wait till bush is gone cause then we'll have world peace, palestine living peacefully with isreal, gas will be free, jobs will be aplenty, and the world will never have another natural disaster...

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
as they say "loose lips sink ships" and ya don't talk about what the CIA does cause the CIA does "dirty work" ...ya don't talk about agents 'cause it could endanger lives ... and ya don't talk about countries that help us cause it could also endanger lives... bush has to have enemies in the CIA that stuff like this gets out...  I can't wait till bush is gone cause then we'll have world peace, palestine living peacefully with isreal, gas will be free, jobs will be aplenty, and the world will never have another natural disaster... 

you forgot dinosaurs....

they'll become unextinct.