Sox exercise buyout on Thomas' contract

Steff

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:08 PM)
What have the past 3 years shown us about him being a starting everyday player? It shows us that he can't do it.  Maybe Griffey should be our everyday DH.  At this point I'd have more faith in him staying healthy than Frank (and I have zero faith in either of them staying healthy). 

Payroll will be at 85-90 mill, the Sox have the money to resign Konerko and find themslelves a good DH.  Even if its a guy like Aubrey Huff (who had a down year last year, but is still a quality hitter in my mind, statistics damned).

Well, 2003, he stayed healthy, and was the team's best hitter.

These past two years, he's been aggravated by the same injury, but when healthy, has still produced. I'd like to see him get another shot; unlike this past year, he won't be forcing anything, and he'll have had a lot more recovery time, without the damage of surgery.

I'm not saying you'll have to 'rely' on him. Hell, Carl Everett was our DH and we made out okay -- there's no doubt in my mind a Ross Gload and Brian Anderson platoon could do a better job than Everett did last year. But... we still need to find ourselves a great 1B/RF (with the contingency plan that if we find a RF like Giles, we move Dye to 1B) before we start looking at who's going to play DH -- IMO.

Huff -- ehh -- if you can get him cheap because he had a bad year, then yeah, I guess you should make a move for him. But I still think he might end up costing more than he's worth... I'd rather go the extra mile and try for Tracy or Delgado.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Didn't Delgado dub the South Side of Chicago as his least favorite place to play?

Yes, but I think a world series championship and all the love Ozzie has been getting as a player manager may change the way he thinks.

I wouldn't dismiss Durazo out of hand. He's a great lefty bat when healthy. If community means anything to him, he may not mind playing in a market where so many Mexicans live. And I'm under the impression that Tommy John surgery is a lot more straightforward than Frank's recovery. ptatc's been a pretty good source about these injuries before, too.

Jason, your plan would sound great if we knew where to find those premier players. The cupboard's bare in the fa market, except for Paulie and Giles. I don't see why Durazo's a bad direction in this market.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Yes, but I think a world series championship and all the love Ozzie has been getting as a player manager may change the way he thinks.

He's one helluva hitter, even at his age, too. I know some people are scared by the contract, but really, you're getting better production offensively, and less years on the contract.

More than anyone else, I really hope Williams pursues Delgado hard.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
So then you think all the talk about Giles and the Tribe is BS......

I think the Tribe will pursue Giles as much as any other team will (Cubbies of course) but Giles will end up staying on the West Coast, especially if Kevin Towers is replaced sometime soon with someone more competent.

***OFFICIAL***

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pr...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

White Sox buy out Frank Thomas' exercise of player option for 2006 season

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have exercised a $3.5 million buyout on the contract of designated hitter Frank Thomas. Thomas, who had exercised the 2006 player option ($10 million) in his contract on Monday, becomes eligible to declare free agency. Once a free agent, the club still will have the ability to negotiate with Thomas.

Thomas, 37, hit .219 (23-105) with 12 home runs and 26 RBI in 34 games with the Sox. He opened the season on the disabled list while recovering from offseason surgery on his left ankle. Thomas made his season debut on May 31 but was placed on the disabled list again on July 21 with a second fracture in the left ankle and missed the rest of the season.

"There should be no question about the respect this organization has for Frank and all that he has helped us accomplish, including a World Series championship," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "He is the greatest hitter in White Sox history. At the same time, it is my responsibility to make the best decisions I can on behalf of the organization. Our plan now is to continue to speak with Frank and his representatives over the coming months as more information is known about his health."

Thomas, the White Sox all-time leader in virtually every offensive category, is a career .307 (2,136-6,959) hitter with 448 home runs and 1,465 RBI in 1,959 career games. He ranks 17th in major-league history in walks (1,466), 29th in home runs, tied for 45th in extra-base hits (906), 47th in RBI and 73rd in total bases (3,949).

Thomas is one of 10 players in major-league history (two active, along with Barry Bonds) with at least a .300 average, 400 home runs, 1,000 RBI, 1,000 runs scored and 1,000 walks. All eight retired players in that group are in the Hall of Fame.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Well, 2003, he stayed healthy, and was the team's best hitter. 

I'm not saying you'll have to 'rely' on him.  Hell, Carl Everett was our DH and we made out okay -- there's no doubt in my mind a Ross Gload and Brian Anderson platoon could do a better job than Everett did last year. 

:lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)

He snubbed the Sox even though Ozzie tried to talk to him. And he didn't only do it once, he did it twice last year. The reason I thought though was because he was going to be a FA and he didn't think the White Sox would resign him so he really didn't want to go anywhere until the offseason because he didn't want to keep moving around.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)

Frank isn't going to be anywhere near 100% anytime soon and KW isn't going to wait until he is at least close to that to improve the team. If Frank can come back, and it is a huge if, I would imagine he is KW's plan D or lower.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
This is the exact type of thinking that has gotten GMs fired in the past. A player spends a good portion or all of his career with a team then near the end of his career he's kept around for too long and ends up being more of a burden than a asset. I think you need to give up on your giant Frank man crush. The guy was an unbelievable talent for the Sox during his prime but the numbers don't lie, he may never play again let alone be someone you count on to produce for you.

I agree. It's a sad fact of economic / baseball life, but nonetheless true. What's actually sadder is watching so many athletes not recognize that their day has passed and then "retire" embittered.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
:lol:

You don't think a Ross Gload/Brian Anderson platoon could produce more than Everett's "stellar" .745 OPS?

Then again, with your analysis, it's tough to argue with ya... :rolly

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
You don't think a Ross Gload/Brian Anderson platoon could produce more than Everett's "stellar" .745 OPS?

Then again, with your analysis, it's tough to argue with ya...  :rolly

hahaha, seriously, Ross Gload...come on. You not only mentioned a player who hasnt played at the major league level, but then Ross Gload, who never will with this organization. Considering Ozzie and KW wont let Ross Gload play on the big team, no I dont think they can match what he did.

im with bighurt4325387503 on this one. frank's not gonna be expensive - a drop in the bucket. why NOT take the chance? ok keep willie or g-load in AAA (unless they're out of options - dont really know how that works) and replace one of them with frank. if he falters, fine, bring the guy back up. i know that then would still leave the issue of what to do w/ DH, but hey, on a normal year theres always the trade deadline and KW always manages to make the right move. i dunno i just feel like he's not THAT much of a risk.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

Then again, with your analysis, it's tough to argue with ya...  :rolly

I don't think it is a lock. I think over a full season gload would be in the .800 range while anderson would struggle to put up a .700 ops. I would be surprised if his on base percentage was over .300 to be honest with you. But i would rather get similar ( which is really not much) production to everett's for a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
hahaha, seriously, Ross Gload...come on.  You not only mentioned a player who hasnt played at the major league level, but then Ross Gload, who never will with this organization.  Considering Ozzie and KW wont let Ross Gload play on the big team, no I dont think they can match what he did.

Well anderson has played at the big league level...as has gload the past two seasons. But gload was supposedly injured... so he was sent to the minors. Timo on the other hand was hurt all of the 2004 season, the team knew about it, and they keep him on the major league roster. :bang

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
Well anderson has played at the big league level...as has gload the past two seasons. But gload was supposedly injured... so he was sent to the minors. Timo on the other hand was hurt all of the 2004 season, the team knew about it, and they keep him on the major league roster. :bang

Q-

Seriously, tell me honestly, do you think the org would EVER let Ross Gload have a spot on the big league squad?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
hahaha, seriously, Ross Gload...come on.  You not only mentioned a player who hasnt played at the major league level, but then Ross Gload, who never will with this organization.  Considering Ozzie and KW wont let Ross Gload play on the big team, no I dont think they can match what he did.

Okay, so? Anderson can play against lefties, put him in a situation where he has a shot at succeeding, and Gload put up an .853 OPS when he was given a chance to play.

I'm not recommending this platoon, BTW -- just saying that Gload + Anderson >>> Everett.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
Okay, so?  Anderson can play against lefties, put him in a situation where he has a shot at succeeding, and Gload put up an .853 OPS when he was given a chance to play. 

I'm not recommending this platoon, BTW -- just saying that Gload + Anderson >>>  Everett.

GLOAD ISNT GOING TO PLAY FOR THE WHITE SOX why cant anyone get this point?