VINNY FOCKING CASTILLA!!!!

DBAHO

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
FOCKING BASTAGE KW WHAT THE FOCK???

VINNY CASTILLA IS BETTER THAN FOCKING CREDE

FOCK

Favorite Vinny stat of the day;

A .683 OPS in away games.

Doesn't that just ooze "Trade for Me!!!!" :headbang

Especially at Petco. RFK was an extreme pitchers park and now he lands in another. I imagine that lawrence must make a lot of money so this is a bad salary swap? What about Joe Randa? Was he a free agent or something? I would have though he'd be in SD for awhile. This might be the final nail in the Sean Burroughs coffin in California

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Especially at Petco. RFK was an extreme pitchers park and now he lands in another. I imagine that lawrence must make a lot of money so this is a bad salary swap? What about Joe Randa? Was he a free agent or something? I would have though he'd be in SD for awhile. This might be the final nail in the Sean Burroughs coffin in California

I believe Randa was a Free Agent, which is one of the reasons his name popped on the surface in trade talks in the first place.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I believe Randa was a Free Agent, which is one of the reasons his name popped on the surface in trade talks in the first place.

Yeah so it's pretty much a given Randa won't be back with the Padres now. Maybe he'll wind up in somewhere like Minny?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)

Washington were looking for starters so I think this is a pretty good trade for them. He was terrible this season no doubt, but he won 15 games in 2004, and he's an innings eater.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 06:03 PM)
Washington were looking for starters so I think this is a pretty good trade for them. He was terrible this season no doubt, but he won 15 games in 2004, and he's an innings eater.

And he gets put into RFK...where if he can turn himself back into a 15+ game winner, all of a sudden he becomes far more valuable on the trading block.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
And he gets put into RFK...where if he can turn himself back into a 15+ game winner, all of a sudden he becomes far more valuable on the trading block.

Yeah. Washington just needs a third baseman now, unless they want to give the position to Ryan Zimmerman full - time already.

Hate to say it, Jim Bowden actually made a good move for once.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I don't believe Randa is a free agent. Could of sworn he signed a 2 year deal last offseason.

Terrible deal for the Padres either way. What were they thinking?

Joe Randa: signed deal for 2005 season worth 2.15M on 12/21/04- + he receives a 100K assignment bonus if traded- + was traded to SD on 7/23/05, giving him a 100K bonus Agent: Ron Shapiro Service Time: 10.000 (as of May 30th, 2005)

I love Rotoworld's take;

And this is why the Red Sox shouldn't be unhappy at all about missing out on Kevin Towers. Lawrence could have rebounded and reemerged as a solid starter next year. Castilla, on the other hand, is likely to be a detriment as the Padres tries to defend their NL West title. The 38-year-old remains a fine defensive third baseman, but he hit just .253/.319/.403 in 494 AB last season and Petco Park will hurt him just as much as RFK Stadium did. Why the Padres felt the need to make this trade on Nov. 3 when there could have been many more possibilities later is beyond us. Nov. 3 - 8:44 pm et

The cash might even up the salaries. Lawrence is due $3.5 million next year and has an option for 2007 at $5.7 million with a $550,000 buyout. Castilla will earn $3.2 million in the final year of his deal. His departure clears the way for the Nationals to go with Ryan Zimmerman at third base, something they were planning to do anyway. Lawrence would fit better in a less spacious park, so we wouldn't be shocked to see him moved again this winter. Still, this looks like a very good trade for Jim Bowden. If he elects to go the trade route, he'll get more from another team for Lawrence than he would have for Castilla. He can just wait and see which teams don't land the free-agent starters they desire. Nov. 3 - 8:43 pm et

Because of the Vinny Castilla acquision, the Padres will not attempt to re-sign free agent Joe Randa and they'll continue to shop Sean Burroughs.

"We lose a little bit of leverage now," GM Kevin Towers said, referring to Burroughs. "People realize he doesn't quite fit for us. It ties our hands a little bit." It's possible that Burroughs will stick around as a bench player, although the fact that neither he nor Castilla plays another position makes that less than ideal. A Burroughs-for-Joe Borchard deal was rumored during the season, but the White Sox probably no longer have interest after Joe Crede's big finish. Nov. 4 - 3:39 am et

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
I wonder how much Randa would cost.  I mean, if Blum wants to sign with a team on the west coast, perhaps Randa could be had for cheap to back up Crede and whoever is our 1B next year?  I dunno...I like Joe Randa.

I don't think Randa would settle for a backup job, nor should he unless he wanted to play for a contender after the numbers he put up in 2005. There'll definitely be a market for him as a starter I'd say.