Reggie jackson interested in buying twins.

qwerty

Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson said he wants to be first in line to buy the Minnesota Twins if the club goes up for sale.

Jackson, who heads an investment group with Las Vegas ties, told the Star Tribune on Friday that he spoke to Twins officials last month about his desire to purchase the team.

"I did make an inquiry, and I wanted to show an interest," Jackson said. "I know they've got some issues with stadiums, etc., I've heard the [Pohlad] family might consider selling the team, and I wanted to be first on the list to inquire."

Jackson said he spoke by telephone to multiple Twins executives.

"The Minnesota Twins handled it just how I thought they would handle it," Jackson said. "They were first class all the way. They told me their plate was full, and that they would certainly listen to what I had to say."

Twins President Dave St. Peter confirmed Friday that a conversation between Jackson and Twins officials took place, but St. Peter stressed the team is not for sale.

"I can confirm that Reggie Jackson did call to talk about a potential acquisition of the franchise," St. Peter said. "It has been expressed to him that at the present time, the ballclub is not for sale. Moreover, 100 percent of our efforts are being directed toward finding a viable long term ballpark solution here in Minnesota.

"And that's what we're focused on. We're still hoping Gov. Pawlenty will see it fit to call a special session, and we'll be able to move forward and build a ballpark and keep the Twins competitive and viable for the next 30 or 40 years here in Minnesota."

Jackson, 59, who hit 563 home runs in his 21-year major league career, is a part-time Las Vegas resident and widely viewed as that city's best hope of bringing Major League Baseball to town.

Last winter, his investment group tried unsuccessfully to buy the Oakland Athletics. Steve Schott sold the club to Lewis Wolff for about $180 million, but Jackson said his group offered $25 million more than that.

"I think the focus right now is for me to get into the game," Jackson said. "This is my fifth attempt to purchase a team, and I think part if it is I haven't been taken seriously by baseball."

Jackson would not confirm that he's looking to buy the Twins simply to move them to Las Vegas.

"You can't move a team without baseball's permission," he said. "Baseball moves teams, not owners."

He said one of his fellow investors is from Las Vegas but added that he had other investors from New York, Seattle, Texas and Florida.

"I've always liked Minnesota," Jackson said. "I've always thought the people were nice, and it's a great area. Their general manager, Terry Ryan, has done a fabulous job. The Pohlad family has always been very wise and friendly to me.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5708675.html

"I can confirm that Reggie Jackson did call to talk about a potential acquisition of the franchise," St. Peter said. "It has been expressed to him that at the present time, the ballclub is not for sale. Moreover, 100 percent of our efforts are being directed toward finding a viable long term ballpark solution here in Minnesota.

cant you divvy up some of that efforts to maybe finding a decent bat in the offseson <_>

Im not a big fan of Pohlad. He can totally build a stadium with his own/families money. He says he loves baseball and the Twins. If he loves them so much, and he think that a stadium is nessicary to sustain it

BUILD THE DAMNED THING

or else, sell it. The team was on the selling block for 2+ years. then the team started to win consistently. Now its not for sale.