QuotATION of the Flippin' Century

kapkomet

``When a man signs a contract he should honor it,'' Guillen said. ``They signed me for three seasons to win ... they were going to pay me just the same whether or not we were champions.''

AMEN, OSWALDO! I wish some of these egotisical f***s in baseball and other sports could honor this same statement.

And yes, Soxy, QUOTATION. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
``When a man signs a contract he should honor it,'' Guillen said. ``They signed me for three seasons to win ... they were going to pay me just the same whether or not we were champions.''

AMEN, OSWALDO!  I wish some of these egotisical f***s in baseball and other sports could honor this same statement.

And yes, Soxy, QUOTATION.  :lol:

Great quotation (thanks Kap), I am so happy we have Oz!

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)

AMEN, OSWALDO!  I wish some of these egotisical f***s in baseball and other sports could honor this same statement.

And yes, Soxy, QUOTATION.  :lol:

While I agree with you on honoring your contract in baseball, basketball, and hockey- Football is a different animal.

When you have a guaranteed contract you should honor it, but when a team can cut you when they want and you out perform your contract (i.e Terrell Owens, Javon Walker) then you should hold out. Walker being a great example why you should make as much money as you can while you are healthy. Now Walker will be lucky to get his market value after tearing up his ACL.

I agree with you on Walker but not Owens. There was a real difference there. Manager/coach contracts are sort of meaningless in that they usually don't guarantee that a guy will come back. There are examples of cheap owners who don't want to pay a guy not to coach but its usually not the case

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
When you have a guaranteed contract you should honor it, but when a team can cut you when they want and you out perform your contract (i.e Terrell Owens, Javon Walker) then you should hold out.  Walker being a great example why you should make as much money as you can while you are healthy. Now Walker will be lucky to get his market value after tearing up his ACL.

So when you are getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game isnt enough, you should hold out for even more money?

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
So when you are getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game isnt enough, you should hold out for even more money?

Football players can get cut at any time and their contracts aren't guaranteed. Also, football players typically have a shorter period of time to make their big money than athletes in other sports because of injuries and the wear and tear on their bodies. When owners decide to give guaranteed contracts in the NFL then players should be ripped on for holding out. Until then I think the players have every right to hold out for more money especially if they are proven quantities (TO, Walker, etc.) rookies I don't have quite the same sympathy for but if I was them I would hold out for as much money as possible because who knows if they will ever see a second contract.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Football players can get cut at any time and their contracts aren't guaranteed.  Also, football players typically have a shorter period of time to make their big money than athletes in other sports because of injuries and the wear and tear on their bodies.  When owners decide to give guaranteed contracts in the NFL then players should be ripped on for holding out.  Until then I think the players have every right to hold out for more money especially if they are proven quantities (TO, Walker, etc.) rookies I don't have quite the same sympathy for but if I was them I would hold out for as much money as possible because who knows if they will ever see a second contract.

Football players, at least the best ones, usually sign contracts that include massive signing bonuses up front. So, now you can have a case of a guy getting a big signing bonus one year, then holding out the next because he's "underpayed".

Slightly tangential, but...

Latrell Sprewell turned down a 3yr/21M offer from the T-Wolves last year, saying that it was "insulting" and that he "had to feed his family." He still hasn't signed, not even for the vet's minimum. How many times does a player, in any sport, turn down a contract deal as "insulting", only to sign for less?

I say over 50%.

And how is Spree feeding his family?