Thome rumor

No surprise that yahoo sports is reporting that the Twins are interested in Jim Thome. Obviosuly, as the brief summary pointed out, the Twins will need much of his salary paid by the Phils. We'll see what Gillick wants to do, and the relationship between how much the Twins are willing to pay vs. how much they are willign to surrender. While Thome will certainly be floated in rumors including the Chicago White Sox, The Anaheim Angels, the Seattle Mariners, and the BoSox (just to name a few potentials)-the Twins rumor makes some sense. How much will the Phillies want of the loaded Twins system (you can assume that Liriano would be off-limits-although who really knows?) Kubel and any other OF would seem to be of little interest to the Phils unless they were willing to depart with Bobby Abreu. But would the city of Philadelphia buy into a team that trades Thome and Abreu in the same offseason? From the Twins perspective, Thome gives you a ton of thunder when healthy but isn't it a problem that your three best players (Morneau-Mauer-Thome) are all left-handed? Hmm. This will be interesting to follow. If the Phillies eat 75 percent or more of the deal, I think Liriano is a Philie.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
No surprise that yahoo sports is reporting that the Twins are interested in Jim Thome. Obviosuly, as the brief summary pointed out, the Twins will need much of his salary paid by the Phils. We'll see what Gillick wants to do, and the relationship between how much the Twins are willing to pay vs. how much they are willign to surrender. While Thome will certainly be floated in rumors including the Chicago White Sox, The Anaheim Angels, the Seattle Mariners, and the BoSox (just to name a few potentials)-the Twins rumor makes some sense. How much will the Phillies want of the loaded Twins system (you can assume that Liriano would be off-limits-although who really knows?) Kubel and any other OF would seem to be of little interest to the Phils unless they were willing to depart with Bobby Abreu. But would the city of Philadelphia buy into a team that trades Thome and Abreu in the same offseason? From the Twins perspective, Thome gives you a ton of thunder when healthy but isn't it a problem that your three best players (Morneau-Mauer-Thome) are all left-handed? Hmm. This will be interesting to follow. If the Phillies eat 75 percent or more of the deal, I think Liriano is a Philie.

Rotoworld was speculating Torii Hunter and Jason Michaels could somehow be part of the deal.

Interesting on Hunter. That makes sense. Improves their defense in a goofy park, helps with the salaries at least a little bit, and rids Philly of Kenny Lofton who no longer steals and is misplaced as a 2-hitter. Hunter-Thome seems win-win although I would have guess Philly would want an arm like JC Romero or someone for the pen

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
Philly cannot make any Thome deals without getting pitching.  Very simple.  If they're paying most of his contract, they must get pitching in return.

Perhaps. But then its a question of who. If you go by the teams I listed (not that you have to), there aren't a ton of appealing options. I don't think that Boston would depart with Sanchez or Papelbon, the Mariners don't seem like a fit for pitching, and the White Sox won't part with B-Mac (I don't think) or the Fab Four for Thome. The Phillies need bullpen help with Urbina and Wagner leaving. Perhaps they go after Ryan, Hoffman, or Dotel-but they will likely look to deal for some as well. I think a Hunter/reliever combo might make some sense given that they are the ones that need to purge themselves in this scenario

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Nov 6, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
i dont want to give up anything serious for thome

id give up marte and el-duqe.

and thats about it, mayb a few prospects

i just dont see how he had such an injured year last year and alot of people want him on the team?

Cause he hit 42 homers and had 105 rbi's in 04. If the Phillies eat a good chunk of his contract I'd definitely take a chance on him.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
I wish Thome wasnt a threat to be injured everytime he swings the bat

when he was in Cleveland, he ate up teh twins when he played at Metrodome. that right field porch suits him

Yeah and I'd prefere not to see him in a Twins uniform.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Jim Thome would be the #1 target for me if I was KW, and could get the Phillies to pick up a good chunk of that contract.  Even if Konerko comes back, I would go after Thome for the 3 hole.

I'll admit, it sure wouldn't seem like a bad idea if we had any confidence he would be healthy. Thanks to his injury and Ryan Howard, he's clearly undervalued.

Here's a fun thought although it's not worth 2 roster spots...a platoon of Thome and Thomas at DH.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
I'll admit, it sure wouldn't seem like a bad idea if we had any confidence he would be healthy.  Thanks to his injury and Ryan Howard, he's clearly undervalued.

Here's a fun thought although it's not worth 2 roster spots...a platoon of Thome and Thomas at DH.

I keep seeing people mentioning a Frank Thomas platoon, and you hit it right on the head. Ozzie would NEVER keep a guy on the bench who didn't have a postition to play defense at. Heck he didn't want Ross Gload who could only play first base. The only way Frank Thomas is back is as the starter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I keep seeing people mentioning a Frank Thomas platoon, and you hit it right on the head.  Ozzie would NEVER keep a guy on the bench who didn't have a postition to play defense at.  Heck he didn't want Ross Gload who could only play first base.  The only way Frank Thomas is back is as the starter.

I'd want to agree...but it's hard for me to do so. It seems like Oz has a ton of respect for Frank, as he should, and I am just not sure he'd want to not have him on the roster.

That platoon would be fun as hell. You'd get like 50-60 homers from that, and probably 140-160 RBI. That's just f***in ridiculous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
I'd want to agree...but it's hard for me to do so.  It seems like Oz has a ton of respect for Frank, as he should, and I am just not sure he'd want to not have him on the roster.

That platoon would be fun as hell.  You'd get like 50-60 homers from that, and probably 140-160 RBI.  That's just f***in ridiculous.

Frank has always stated he needs his ABs. Frank isn't a part time player and neither is Thome. To think that they could perform at their peak while splitting time is pretty extreme. With that said, I would love to have Thome.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
I didn't realize the Phillies were using Thome as a DH.

I said there is no way he can play the field. How many games has he played at 1B since his back started acting up? I believe he only played what 58 games or so this year at 1B. More so if the Sox were to pick him up it would more than likely to be a DH and maybe once and a while 1B but no way his back could hold up for a full season. Maybe I am wrong but we will see. JMO though.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
I said there is no way he can play the field. How many games has he played at 1B since his back started acting up? I believe he only played what 58 games or so this year at 1B. More so if the Sox were to pick him up it would more than likely to be a DH and maybe once and a while 1B but no way his back could hold up for a full season. Maybe I am wrong but we will see. JMO though.

How many games did he hit in this year?