Milton

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
Looking over next semester, the convienent English class is Milton of Paradise Lost fame. Anyone a fan? I'm trying to decide to take it or not.

Some find Milton to a very arrogant and manipulative writer and other find him inspiring and love the challenges he brings to you as you read his work.

It should provide a healthy stream of debates during class.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Some find Milton to a very arrogant and manipulative writer and other find him inspiring and love the challenges he brings to you as you read his work.

It should provide a healthy stream of debates during class.

But y'all know me, I hate to debate :P

PARADISE LOST is terrific once you get the hang of the vernacular (sort of like reading/hearing Shakespeare, it takes a bit to get the rhythm).

Not that it matters, but the story just got the greenlight to be a feature film. Milton would've enjoyed it...had he not gone blind. That's bad, I'm sorry.

I had a wonderful prof, so I really enjoyed this course. But that holds true about any subject, doesn’t it? However, I was late teens, early twenties then. As a mature adult, I suspect I wouldn’t have any patience for sitting through an entire semester of just Milton, at least if his religious poetry were to be the sole focus.

My recommendation would be to take a general course on 17th century English literature to get a taste of some of the greats – Milton, Donne, Marvell, Dryden, Herbert, Pope. You’d never be bored.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I had a wonderful prof, so I really enjoyed this course.  But that holds true about any subject, doesn’t it?  However, I was late teens, early twenties then.  As a mature adult, I suspect I wouldn’t have any patience for sitting through an entire semester of just Milton, at least if his religious poetry were to be the sole focus.

My recommendation would be to take a general course on 17th century English literature to get a taste of some of the greats – Milton, Donne, Marvell, Dryden, Herbert, Pope.  You’d never be bored.

When you are an adult with kids in high school, responsibilities, volunteering, and a host of other stuff, it becomes a matter of what night is available. So Monday evening is a nice Abnormal Psy and Milton night. Pray for me . . .