Six injured by Pit Bulls.

Steff

:headshake

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174712,00.html

Escaped Pit Bulls Attack Six People

Sunday, November 06, 2005

CARY, Ill — A 10-year-old boy was in critical condition Sunday after three pit bulls (search) escaped from a home and went on a rampage, attacking six people before police shot and killed dogs, authorities said.

No charges had been filed Sunday, but McHenry County (search) Sheriff Keith Nygren said it was being investigated as a crime scene.

Neighbors said the attacks started late Saturday afternoon when children going door-to-door for a fund-raiser arrived at the home of Scott Sword, 41, who owned the dogs.

"We had music playing, and I heard this bizarre sound," said Debby Rivera, who lives three houses away. "I looked out the window, and I saw a young boy. The dogs were just jumping on him."

"The screams were horrible," she said. The dogs were "relentless, like they were possessed."

The pit bulls attacked the two children, and when the dogs' owner tried to stop them, the dogs turned on him and bit off his thumb, Nygren said. The boy's father also tried to protect his son and was attacked. The dogs went after another neighbor as well.

"The scene sprawled over a couple blocks, it was a very chaotic scene," said Lt. Michael Douglas of the Cary Fire Protection District (search).

Residents threw rocks at the dogs and honked car horns to try to distract them from attacking before police arrived and shot the animals.

Jim Malone said he and a neighbor tried to beat the dogs back with baseball bats. "He'd hit them, they'd run, and they'd come back," Malone said. "This went on for 15 minutes."

The boy who was attacked, Nick Foley, was hospitalized in critical condition Sunday. His friend Jordan Lamarre, also 10, was in serious condition. Nick's father was listed in good condition. Sword and two others were treated for injuries and released.

Last week, another 10-year-old boy in Colorado was mauled by a pack of pit bulls that attacked him in his own back yard. The boy was in critical condition after the attack, and the hospital said Sunday his family had requested no further information about his condition be released.

The attack in the Denver suburb of Aurora came two days after the City Council banned pit bulls and other "fighting dogs." Owners who already had the dogs could keep them if they paid a $200 annual license fee.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about this right now at work. It's about time people STOP saying "it's not the dog, it's the way it is brought up". Pit Bulls (or as they are now called by people "American Bull Dog") are just time bomb's waiting to go off. We have one in our neighborhood that runs free quite often. That damn thing is about to come face to face with tfe front of my car if it's owners DON'T start tying the bastard up.

Also, if it isn't the breed, then why is it I have yet to run across a friendly Chow? They are responsible for the most attacks in the US, and I still haven't seen a nice one. I worked as a Land Surveyor for years. If the house has a Chow in the back yard, you just kept moving. Same goes for Pit's. Yes, a Pit Bull can be a decent pet if raised properly, but there is always the chance, and if it goes mad, you're f***ed.

I don’t know about the background in this particular case. But it always seems that these incidents are followed by the neighbors saying things like Kid is saying – they always let it run loose/it jumped the fence constantly/it tried to bite our dog while we were out walking recently.

I think most areas require that dogs be registered, have rabies shots, wear tags, and not be allowed to run loose. In addition, although the debate on dangerous breeds never seems to end, most areas have laws that deal with dogs which have been judged to be “dangerous” or “vicious.”

So although it may not make you the most popular person in some people’s eyes, I say, do the obvious to keep your community safe: Start calling the appropriate authorities EVERY time you witness a violation of your local ordinances. Call the police. Call animal control. Make sure you give the authorities the names of these dogs’ anti-social owners and be willing to give your own name as a complainant.

The neighbors on the news this morning said the complete opposite in this situation mercy (although I will agree I've heard those lines used several times in the past couple years pertaining to these dogs). Oddly, it's been stated by several of the neighbors that these were "good" dogs that just "turned". A common trait of this breed as documented. These dogs also had tags, regular visits to the vet, etc.. Never showed previous signs of aggression - another trait I've read.

A shame.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
The neighbors on the news this morning said the complete opposite in this situation mercy (although I will agree I've heard those lines used several times in the past couple years pertaining to these dogs). Oddly, it's been stated by several of the neighbors that these were "good" dogs that just "turned". A common trait of this breed as documented. These dogs also had tags, regular visits to the vet, etc.. Never showed previous signs of aggression - another trait I've read.

A shame.

But the one woman that was talking about how these are "good dogs" is an old neighbor of my bosses. She used to live next door to him, and had Pit's then. She is a Pit Bull Advocate, I guess. I guess she is known in Cary for being that. So take her words with a grain of salt.

Part of the problem is that Animal Control is a bit of a joke. They will not put themselves in danger at all. I was on a job once, and in the shed on the job was a possum. We called animal control to remove it, and they said they wouldn't go near it due to it maybe having rabies.

We also have a snapping turtle that lives in our neighborhood. She ended up in my neighbor's window well one day. We called the wonderful control, and they said they don't handle things such as snappers. Too dangerous.

I think they will handle a field mouse or a loose hamster though.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I didn't see a woman. 2 men, one of which was the man who got bit while trying to help the kids.

Ah, I didn't see that report. Heck, I only know what I was being told by co-workers here, and my boss was telling me about the wacky Pro-Pit neighbor of his being on the news.

To add.. my sisters mother in law has had pits all her life. My brother in law grew up with at least a dozen of them. Never an issue. Luck of the draw. Any dog will attack, IMO.

Hell.. my daughter in law has a beagle that's attacked her twice!! Can't wait till she brings home the new baby in a month. :headshake

But you can't deny certain dogs are more likely to "go off", and that certain dogs are MUCH more dangerous is they do. I'd MUCH rather run into a wild beagle or cocker spaniel than a wild pit bull. To think that a cocker or a dachsund is just as dangerous as a pit or a rottwieler is just silly.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
But you can't deny certain dogs are more likely to "go off", and that certain dogs are MUCH more dangerous is they do. I'd MUCH rather run into a wild beagle or cocker spaniel than a wild pit bull. To think that a cocker or a dachsund is just as dangerous as a pit or a rottwieler is just silly.

Clearly that's what I was incinuating.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
To add.. my sisters mother in law has had pits all her life. My brother in law grew up with at least a dozen of them. Never an issue. Luck of the draw. Any dog will attack, IMO.

Hell.. my daughter in law has a beagle that's attacked her twice!! Can't wait till she brings home the new baby in a month.  :headshake

One of my friends has a pit-lab mix. That dog is the nicest, sweetest dog you ever want to meet. Pit Bulls have the makeup to be a vicious dog. They are easily agitated, and if raised improperly can become violent. They are also ridiculously strong and quick, all attributes that lead to these sort of violent attacks.

Any dog can snap, but APBT's have the propensity to do it more often, and the physical ability to do a lot of damage when doing so. I for one think the breed shouldn't be banned, but instead closely monitored. If you know someone in you're neighborhood has one make sure they have a fence or always have it chained up if they leave it alone outside.

Most beagles are pretty mean dogs...I'm not a big fan of those scrappy things...

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Most beagles are pretty mean dogs...I'm not a big fan of those scrappy things...

They brought it over to our house for a bbq once.. the damn thing kept jumping up on the table. No manners. Our dogs don't even come near the table when there is food on it. They've been banned from our house.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Clearly that's what I was incinuating.

Clearly that is not. Your comment made it sound like the beagle your sister owns is more dangerous than the pits you have known. I would still rather take my chances with your sisters beagle than your mom's pit's anyday of the week.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Clearly that is not. Your comment made it sound like the beagle your sister owns is more dangerous than the pits you have known. I would still rather take my chances with your sisters beagle than your mom's pit's anyday of the week.

That's not at all what I posted or even hinted to.

Also, my sister doesn't own a Beagle.

O.K., let's look again:

Hell.. my daughter in law has a beagle that's attacked her twice!! Can't wait till she brings home the new baby in a month.  :headshake

I apologize...your daughter in law.

Can you actually say it doesn't read like I figure it does? YOu are saying the pit's were safe, and the beagle dangerous. Correct?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)

Wow...that is some selective reading you did there.

One of this boards favorite topics is media bias...look no further than that to see why most everyone is scared s***less when they see a pitbull. Yesterdays top story was absolutely hideous and deserved the attention it recieved, however...

They will span the entire city looking for these stories, but often shy away from that 'part of town' when a person is murdered. It's all about spin my friend.

Make sure you read this real carefully before you come back with a reply...don't put words in my mouth.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
O.K., let's look again:

I apologize...your daughter in law.

Can you actually say it doesn't read like I figure it does? YOu are saying the pit's were safe, and the beagle dangerous. Correct?

No.

I said any dog can attack.. followed by an example of a commonly thought "safe" breed attacking.

I've never owned a pit bull so I wouldn't dare attempt to make a comparison.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Wow...that is some selective reading you did there.

One of this boards favorite topics is media bias...look no further than that to see why most everyone is scared s***less when they see a pitbull.  Yesterdays top story was absolutely hideous and deserved the attention it recieved, however...

They will span the entire city looking for these stories, but often shy away from that 'part of town' when a person is murdered. It's all about spin my friend.

Make sure you read this real carefully before you come back with a reply...don't put words in my mouth.

Try following your own advice. I was replying to Steff.