Six injured by Pit Bulls.

Steff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
You told me to read more clearly. If you had done the same, you would have noticed that I never once made reference to your post.  :huh

oops..."carefully"...

I was indeed replying to your post...

I am aware that you didn't make reference to my post, but I've become rather accustomed to no one replying to anything I write, so I just get involved in other people's discussions in order to build up my low self-esteem.

I'm sorry to impinge on your conversation.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I was indeed replying to your post...

I am aware that you didn't make reference to my post, but I've become rather accustomed to no one replying to anything I write, so I just get involved in other people's discussions in order to build up my low self-esteem. 

I'm sorry to impinge on your conversation.

LOL!!! Well, you may have just got yourself a "quote of the month" with that reply though!!! Great follow-up! :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
LOL!!! Well, you may have just got yourself a "quote of the month" with that reply though!!! Great follow-up!  :D

It's all in good fun, I need a good rousing to help my day move a little quicker at this mortuary of a office that I work at :P

Stay away from those pitbulls and Go Sox!

Wow...quote of the month!!! YESSSSSSS...another first for me. I knew self-loathing would get me places....

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I for one think the breed shouldn't be banned, but instead closely monitored. If you know someone in you're neighborhood has one make sure they have a fence or always have it chained up if they leave it alone outside.

I don't agree...they need to be banned. The biggest problem is the assholes who buy these dogs and mistreat them, causing a dangerous situation. You can't closely monitor people, especially in poor neighborhoods, where these dogs seem more prevalent. when you hear that these dogs were nice, until the other day, that is even more disturbing.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of other dogs either...but Pits are clearly the bigger problems....see Cary and the South side woods from a couple years ago.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
I don't agree...they need to be banned.  The biggest problem is the assholes who buy these dogs and mistreat them, causing a dangerous situation.

So blame the dog for the asshole owners actions...?? :huh

I don't know much about the breed. Just what I've read and there's good and bad. IMO, owning a pet should be much harder anyway. Make it harder and I think that might be a step in the right direction in some sort of control. Make it especially harder to own a larger dog like Chows, and Shepards, and Rotts which seem to be responsible for 70% of all REPORTED attacks in the US.

And I'm not talking about not allowing folks to adopt and raise those breeds (because I know several folks who have wonder dogs of those breeds).. but educate and screen the potential owners and make them MORE responsible for their dogs actions.

I am of the opinion that the owners should get a matching charge to what the Pitbull did, complete with jailtime.

For example:

If the pitbull escapes and does damage like what happened in Cary, the owner gets 3 counts of aggravated battery. I also think these animals need to be treated as weapons in cases like this.

Its time that the owners start getting penalties that are as severe as the injuries. I think someone would think twice about owning a mean pitbull should he get a felony manslaughter charge if his dog goes off the handle. It is time to stop giving these guys slaps on the wrist, like fines and telling them they are no longer legally allowed to own dogs.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
To add.. my sisters mother in law has had pits all her life. My brother in law grew up with at least a dozen of them. Never an issue. Luck of the draw. Any dog will attack, IMO.

Hell.. my daughter in law has a beagle that's attacked her twice!! Can't wait till she brings home the new baby in a month.  :headshake

I had a beagle that bite me twice when he cornered a possum and I tried to drag him away. He also snapped at kids, He Gone. My aunt took him, bit her three times. I got him from a shelter and was probably abused. He was an ok dog overall (he did pull the turkey off the table, we were done with it). He was retired a few months back, old age got him.

I have a 110lb Choclate Lab now greatest dog ever. We got him from a rescue place and is about 10 years old. He simply mauls (in a good way) people. I find it kind of funny, he is old, let him do his thing. He did go after the neighbor's black lab and decked him. Good protector on noise and appearence demeanor, over-all though, my 2 year takes him out witout a problem.

Any dog can have an issue the thing with 'Pits' that has been brought up is that they have the instinct to maul. The instinct of my dog would be to grab hold and not let go which would suck but you would still be ok. Pits have the ability to do serious damage which makes them an issue.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Yep.  I say blame, and punish, both extensively.

If a dog maliciously bites me, I would definitely want the dog put to sleep and the owner properly charged.

Still have that comprehension issue I see..

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Still have that comprehension issue I see..

:huh:

Still have that b**** issue, I see...

I was just stating my opinion. No comprehension needed when they're my own opinions. It wasn't even a knock on anything you said, just giving my thoughts on the subject, so I have no clue why you have to come off with one of your patented conceited, smart-ass remarks.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
:huh:

Still have that b**** issue, I see...

I was just stating my opinion.  No comprehension needed when they're my own opinions.  It wasn't even a knock on anything you said, just giving my thoughts on the subject, so I have no clue why you have to come off with one of your patented conceited, smart-ass remarks.

Absolutely on the b**** comment. I don't hide like the pussy some here are.

So you weren't questioning my comment...? Because I was asking a question...? A direct response to a dog being abused and their actions from it. Not a knock.. yea... ok.

Hurry along kiddo... you have some PM's to author. :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Absolutely on the b**** comment. I don't hide like the pussy some here are.

So you weren't questioning my comment...? Because I was asking a question...? A direct response to a dog being abused and their actions from it. Not a knock.. yea... ok.

Yep, I wasn't. I don't care at all about your thoughts and opinions. Honestly.

It was an interesting topic, so I simply stated my opinion on the question you posed.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Yep, I wasn't.  I don't care at all about your thoughts and opinions.  Honestly.

It was an interesting topic, so I simply stated my opinion on the question you posed.

No cares.. yet you responded directly to my comment..

Perhaps you're sincere. I don't think so. But in case you might be, I apologize.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
holy hell... I used to live in cary illinois. no joke :o.

wow, that was weird just seeing the name "CARY, IL"

What's it like there..? More like Tinley Park.. or Monee...??

Well...I'm about 2 minutes from Cary right now, as I grew-up in and work in Crystal Lake. Tinley Park? No...try upscaled Mayberry. LOL!!! It's actually a very nice little town. Kind of historic in a way, as the "downtown" is very nice looking, but consists of about 150' of street.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Well...I'm about 2 minutes from Cary right now, as I grew-up in and work in Crystal Lake. Tinley Park? No...try upscaled Mayberry. LOL!!! It's actually a very nice little town. Kind of historic in a way, as the "downtown" is very nice looking, but consists of about 150' of street.

Ahhh.. we have one of those streets in Plainfield. :lol:

I couldn't tell from the tv, but the guy interviewed made it sound like it was a "everybody knows your name" town.

Any updates on the kids?

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
I couldn't tell from the tv, but the guy interviewed made it sound like it was a "everybody knows your name" town.

Very, very, very much so. Not as much as my town of Harvard, but still very much one of those.

Not sure on how the kids are doing. My boss will have much more on it tomorrow I am sure.

In response to no one in particular, I just like to pad my post totals. With SS playing with his new baby, I might catch in in a few years.

I was surprised no one brought this up in regards to dangerous breeds, owners responsibility, etc.

Why are Pit bulls bred for fighting and not poodles or beagles or joe cocker spaniels? Because their size, built, and temperament were great for that purpose to start with. Far easier to take a breed with a propensity for fighting and use them. SO yes, there can be nice, well behaved pit bulls, I've known one or two. But if a dog snaps and becomes aggressive, I'd rather have a mild mannered breed to begin with, regardless of training, than an aggressive, strong, breed.