Bears impending QB "controversy"?

When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?

• Kyle Orton
    • Rex Grossman
    • Jeff Blake is better than both of them
    • Moses Moreno

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Orton.

Who's led us to a 5-3 record?  Orton.

Yea, he hasnt been perfect, but he's winning and doing things just enough to come out on top.  This isnt the same case as Craigathan Quinzel who churned out like a 19.5 QB rating.

For the purpose of playing devil's advocate, it could be debated that the defense and running game have led us to a 5-3 record, and Orton simply hasn't screwed up badly enough to make us worse.

Me personally, I am waiting. We will beat SF at home to move to 6-3, and after that, the schedule gets way tougher, and I am interested to see how Orton does then. Rex IMO is without question a more talented quarterback, but if Orton wins some games in the upcoming meat of the schedule and gets our record even better, I don't think you can sit him for Rex.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Orton (if you ask me) showed a much better arm in College than Rex.

Niether have shown the arm in the Pros that they had in college though.

The arm strength of the 2 is comparable, but the accuracy isn't. Orton misses WAY too many open receivers, and his lack of accuracy on sideline routes and deep balls is going to hurt us against teams like Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Mind you, i'm not so much a Rex defender as I am a Orton skeptic, Rex has A LOT to prove once he gets back (including if he can lead a good NFL team and if he can stay healthy).

The arm strength of the 2 is comparable, but the accuracy isn't.  Orton misses WAY too many open receivers, and his lack of accuracy on sideline routes and deep balls is going to hurt us against teams like Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Mind you, i'm not so much a Rex defender as I am a Orton skeptic, Rex has A LOT to prove once he gets back (including if he can lead a good NFL team and if he can stay healthy).

Im not so sure Orton cannot get better at that though. He's more inconsistent than he is blatantly innaccurate (see Mike Vick and Daunte Culpepper), he's launched some sweet balls that Muhammad has bad tons of fun coming down with. Maybe you remember, but about 24 hours ago he hit muhammad perfectly in stride to win a ball game.

He has it in him to make good throws every time he drops back, but he loses cool when players go deep.. thats a product on the Cincinatti fiasco, he overthrows guys b/c he doesnt want to launch up a pick. But overall, last afternoon, good thigns happened when he went deep, 2 PI calls and a game winner.

Orton definitely made the BIG throw yesterday on 3rd down, making it possible for the Bears to kill the clock and boot the chip shot FG to win it, and he does make SOME big time throws, but his inaccuracy IMO has gotten WORSE as the season went on (yes, maybe partly because of the Bengals game) and really, his 3 first half turnovers could have been KILLER if not for the fact we were playing the Saints.

I don't know, I am just concerned about the QB situtation since this team looks like they are going to make the playoffs, and having a rookie QB that makes a lot of inaccurate throws could lead to major heartbreak.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
This shouldn't even be a debate.  Orton has done about as well as somebody put into the situation he was put into.  Besides the Cincy game what games has he really lost them.  He isn't making very many stupid mistakes and is managing the game well.  Orton is the future not Grossman.

Well considering he didnt lead the team to 1 scoring drive against Washington id say he lost us that game 2. The only TD we had was from a special teams fumble recovery and TJ run.

And if we had a legit QB during that Browns game I bet we had a good chance of winning that one too... although some blame has to be put on the defense for giving up the TD's late although the 1 should of never even there if Orton didnt fumble.

Guys Grossman is injury prone but when he is out there in like what 6 career games... only 5 when he has gone basicly the whole game he has thrown 200 plus yards like 3 times.

Orton has gone over 200 once...... and against the Saints he almost lost us that game too. He had 2 int and a fumble. Not 2 mention if the refs didnt cally a ticky tack pass interference it would of been 3. Also when he deeply overthrew Muhsin that one play the Saints guy had an easy int but failed.

Go watch the Saints game again... that was the 1st game I saw our recievers constantly getting open and beating their men and Orton had a horrible game and overthrew them all day long. He had a few nice ones ill give him that mostly the 2 to Muhsin... but his accuracy seems to be getting worse not better.

He has had some major bumps in his career but Grossman is the more talented and I think if he is healthy gives our team the best chance to win. Think how bad Orton has actually been against all these lousy teams... now look ahead and see we face Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh soon... imagine him against those teams.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Well considering he didnt lead the team to 1 scoring drive against Washington id say he lost us that game 2.  The only TD we had was from a special teams fumble recovery and TJ run.

And if we had a legit QB during that Browns game I bet we had a good chance of winning that one too... although some blame has to be put on the defense for giving up the TD's late although the 1 should of never even there if Orton didnt fumble.

Guys Grossman is injury prone but when he is out there in like what 6 career games... only 5 when he has gone basicly the whole game he has thrown 200 plus yards like 3 times.

Orton has gone over 200 once...... and against the Saints he almost lost us that game too.  He had 2 int and a fumble.  Not 2 mention if the refs didnt cally a ticky tack pass interference it would of been 3.  Also when he deeply overthrew Muhsin that one play the Saints guy had an easy int but failed.

Go watch the Saints game again... that was the 1st game I saw our recievers constantly getting open and beating their men and Orton had a horrible game and overthrew them all day long.  He had a few nice ones ill give him that mostly the 2 to Muhsin... but his accuracy seems to be getting worse not better.

He has had some major bumps in his career but Grossman is the more talented and I think if he is healthy gives our team the best chance to win.  Think how bad Orton has actually been against all these lousy teams... now look ahead and see we face Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh soon... imagine him against those teams.

that was Peterson's fault. He ran into Orton.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
I don't know, I am just concerned about the QB situtation since this team looks like they are going to make the playoffs, and having a rookie QB that makes a lot of inaccurate throws could lead to major heartbreak.

You would be heartbroken if the Bears made the playoffs with a rookie QB? Maybe I'm crazy, but it excites the s*** out of me.

I'll put it this way, if Kyle Orton was the QB of the New Orleans Saints, would they make the playoffs?

Orton should be very thankful for such a great defense and good running game. I've always thought Grossman has more talent, and if anything, could help give the Bears that extra edge if they make the playoffs. Teams are just going to put 8 players in the box, blitz Orton, and dare him to beat you through the air.

That said I doubt they make a change. They may even look into trading Rex to a team like Arizona if they could get a nice return back. But then the Bears would have to sign a veteran QB, something Angelo's record doesn't have a good feel for.

Some points from a good article I was reading;

You won't find an Orton endorsement in most of his statistical evidence. He's completing only 55.3 percent of his passes and his quarterback rating of 65.5 places him 48th in the NFL.

But he's turned the ball over only once in his last four games. He's produced only 12 touchdowns in seven games, and everyone knows the Bears are winning on defense, just as they did a week ago when cornerback Charles Tillman ran back an interception for a touchdown in overtime to defeat the Lions.

Averaging 150 passing yards again is hardly dynamic, but Orton is a rookie who never expected to be starting this year.

There were those who thought they'd seen that glitch when Orton threw five interceptions to the Bengals in Week 3. But four games later, he's thrown only one more pick and he's quickly growing into the job.

I agree with the majority. You can't take Orton out now. He has done more in 8 games than Grossman has in 3 years.

EDIT: Let me re-word this.....Orton has earned the job. I only see Rex taking over if Orton gets hurt or if they see something abso-f***ing-lutely fantastic from Rex at practices.

BTW, why isn't Henry Burris on this poll!

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I hate when people say Orton is 5-3..... Orton is not 5-3 the Bears are 5-3 and to be honest he has very little to do with those wins.  If Orton was contributing to the wins and part of the reason we are winning id say keep him in.... but right now he is Michael Vick w/out the speed  :P

And I think a lot of that has to do with the easy schedule the Bears have had. Once you start playing teams like Carolina etc. if Orton struggles against those teams, then the Grossman calls will probably start coming. It's a tough situation though.

I heard the same excuses with Krenzel last year, because he won 3 in a row, then you guys played us, and he was terrible. Of course only having 1 good weapon to throw to doesn't help much.