Bears impending QB "controversy"?

When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?

• Kyle Orton
    • Rex Grossman
    • Jeff Blake is better than both of them
    • Moses Moreno

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Ok now take into account that Orton has had better recievers, O-Line, and an actual top running game..... and than consider in what 5 complete games of Grossman compared to 8 of Orton.... and Orton has only 100 more yards in 3 more games?

Not 2 mention right now we have the best defense we have had for awhile giving Orton constantly good field position.....

it's 6 career games. Don't count that against Orton. It is Grossman's fault that he can't take a hit without breaking his leg.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
it's 6 career games.  Don't count that against Orton.  It is Grossman's fault that he can't take a hit without breaking his leg.

I love how you say, oh Rex is going to break his leg again once he goes anywhere near a football field, it's a 100% sure thing. GMAFB.

Grossman right now averages 1 injury in what, every 2 games?

If you put Grossman out there now, you have to expect that he will not finish the season. Which means Orton will likely be in there again at some point.

If the upgrade to Grossman is not massive, then is it a good idea to disrupt whatever sense of rhythm the offense has developed by practicing and playing with Orton for 8 weeks?

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Knew this would happen.

Krenzel and Orton are completely different situation wise.  Krenzel was horrible, Orton has been tolerable.

In 8 games this season Orton has a QB rating of 62.9. In the 3 games that Krenzel won, he had a QB rating of 62.4. We all know where that went.

Wait until Orton faces the defenses of Carolina and Tampa.

I voted for Orton. With the defense and running game as good as they are and the division as bad as it it the Bears don't need to change their qb in the middle of the season. Let Orton finish this season and at the beginning of next season have an open competition, which Rex will probably win because he's the better qb. But, already being halfway through the season and with Rex possibly being a bit rusty there's no need to change anything with the Bears in 1st place.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
I dont know how much of these people are die-hard Bears fans and the NFL in general.... but I do know that people I talk to.... the more casual fan usually likes Orton while the diehard one and the one who likes all football in general rather have Grossman in there.

Not me. And I'm as diehard as it gets. I've missed one half of a Bears game in the past 4 years. You guys are ridiculously hating on Orton. This guy has came in and done decent as a 4th round pick right out of the gate. Look at what most highly drafted 1st round picks have done when they are thrown right into the fire. Orton is doing that and than some.

No, he isn't great, but he's been solid and is growing. He has an NFL arm and NFL size. He also seems to shy away from big hits (a big plus) and has the mind-set of a good qb (the type of qb who is able to put aside his bad throws and go out and make a good throw on the next play). He's got a ton of work left, but this guy is light-years better than I expected him to be when he started the season.

He also has more starts than Grossman and at this point I'm not messing with anything. If Orton all of a sudden starts to stink, thats another story, but I ain't messing with him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
In 8 games this season Orton has a QB rating of 62.9. In the 3 games that Krenzel won, he had a QB rating of 62.4. We all know where that went.

Wait until Orton faces the defenses of Carolina and Tampa.

Orton has tools...Krenzel didn't. They aren't at all similar qb's. Orton has made some very impressive throws and has flashed whats necessary of a good to above average NFL qb. Give this kid some time and he's going to be a pretty good one.

Krenzel never was.

Why do people say if Orton all of a sudden starts to stink... he has the lowest QB rating of all NFL starters and he fumbles a whole lot. Cant hit a wide open reciever on the sidelines........

Is he better than Krenzel, Quinn, Hutch from last year.... yes.... Is he doing good for a rookie... yes.... Is he helping our team win in any way NO

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Orton has tools...Krenzel didn't.  They aren't at all similar qb's.  Orton has made some very impressive throws and has flashed whats necessary of a good to above average NFL qb.  Give this kid some time and he's going to be a pretty good one. 

Krenzel never was.

Yes but if you watched the Saints game, you would have seen Orton overthrowing a lot of balls. The Bears were just lucky they were playing the Saints. If the Bears want to go far in the playoffs, they'll need to make a change. Otherwise, it shows that they're building for the long - term (which in itself isn't a bad thing).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Yes but if you watched the Saints game, you would have seen Orton overthrowing a lot of balls. The Bears were just lucky they were playing the Saints. If the Bears want to go far in the playoffs, they'll need to make a change. Otherwise, it shows that they're building for the long - term (which in itself isn't a bad thing).

He also made some really nice throws. He's a rookie, he's not Brett Favre. People expect guys to come into this league and immediately be Brett Favre and Peyton Manning. I got news for you, thats not going to happen. You have to be developed, especially a 4th round pick.

Watch almost any game and you'll see QB's miss there WR's. In the 2nd quarter of the Lions game (two weeks ago) Orton was perfect, making all the throws and leading the Bears offense up and down the field. He also made a perfect pass to Mushin for a touchdown. He's shown this type of flashes at time. The consistency will come with experience and improved footwork. The problem is there is only so much you can do in the regular season. With more experience he'll better read defenses and he'll also have a better idea of what his Wr's will do and what NFL db's and linebackers are capable of doing.

And I got news for everyone, if the Bears had a better qb out there they'd have grabbed him. Rex Grossman is no more seasoned (in fact he's less seasoned than Orton) and therefore the Bears are going to have to develop and try to win at the same time. This is going to pay off very well next year when they are coming off a playoff loss (If Orton can improve enough, they could win 1 game in the playoffs, but they won't win more than that) with two viable qb options (giving the Bears some depth) and 3 capable RB's (two of which are above average backs in my mind...TJ and Ced).

The point of the whole thing is that he is a rookie.... and Grossman has been in the league a lot longer even if he doesnt have all the game experiance. And when Grossman was in there with worse WR's he threw a more accurate deep ball and threw for a lot more yards.

In our division with our team we can make the playoffs with Orton... but if you expect to win a game in the playoffs Grossman gives us the best shot.

No one is a Orton hater... just some of us arent Orton homers.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
The point of the whole thing is that he is a rookie.... and Grossman has been in the league a lot longer even if he doesnt have all the game experiance.  And when Grossman was in there with worse WR's he threw a more accurate deep ball and threw for a lot more yards.

In our division with our team we can make the playoffs with Orton... but if you expect to win a game in the playoffs Grossman gives us the best shot.

No one is a Orton hater... just some of us arent Orton homers.

yeah on the bench nursing an injury that put him out for the year on a non-contact play.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
yeah on the bench nursing an injury that put him out for the year on a non-contact play.

You act like Grossman is the only person in the history of football for which that's ever happened.

What about Mark Bradley? Is he going to re-injure his knee now because of what he did when he comes back?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
You act like Grossman is the only person in the history of football for which that's ever happened.

What about Mark Bradley? Is he going to re-injure his knee now because of what he did when he comes back?

Because the the scouting report coming out of college was that he wasn't physically big enough and he wasn't that mobile. It said that he would get injured very quickly in the NFL.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
Because the the scouting report coming out of college was that he wasn't physically big enough and he wasn't that mobile.  It said that he would get injured very quickly in the NFL.

Grossman is about 6'1. There are a lot of QB's in the league who are only around the 6'2 mark, and Vick is only 6'0.

You don't get selected as a 1st round pick, if you don't have the talent to make it, especially at a premium position in the NFL. Grossman has success with Spurrier's system, and with another offensive system, he threw an excellent deep ball and has good accuracy.

My point on Orton vs. Grossman is this. Grossman's best game against the Redksins a few season ago when the Bears had the likes of Justin Gage to throw to etc. he threw for 245 yards. Orton is only averaging 148.3 Y/G. Don't you think if the Bears are going to take the next step, they need someone who can throw at least 200 Y/G, who can help open up the offense? The Bears have an elite defense, and an excellent running game to boot. But at the moment, with Orton behind center, they're going nowhere in the playoffs. In the next year or 2, once Orton perhaps gets comfortable at the NFL level, then yeah the Bears could make some noise. But in a weak - wide open NFC, they could make some noise now, if they decide to take the risk and go to Rex.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
16 votes for Orton.  :lol:

Hey, if you voted for him, send me a PM and let me know where you get your drugs at.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Heath Shuler is my supplier.

I heard that it was Akili Smith. :ph34r:

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
Grossman is about 6'1. There are a lot of QB's in the league who are only around the 6'2 mark, and Vick is only 6'0.

You don't get selected as a 1st round pick, if you don't have the talent to make it, especially at a premium position in the NFL. Grossman has success with Spurrier's system, and with another offensive system, he threw an excellent deep ball and has good accuracy.

My point on Orton vs. Grossman is this. Grossman's best game against the Redksins a few season ago when the Bears had the likes of Justin Gage to throw to etc. he threw for 245 yards. Orton is only averaging 148.3 Y/G. Don't you think if the Bears are going to take the next step, they need someone who can throw at least 200 Y/G, who can help open up the offense? The Bears have an elite defense, and an excellent running game to boot. But at the moment, with Orton behind center, they're going nowhere in the playoffs. In the next year or 2, once Orton perhaps gets comfortable at the NFL level, then yeah the Bears could make some noise. But in a weak - wide open NFC, they could make some noise now, if they decide to take the risk and go to Rex.

yes but if you read what i said Vick is mobile enough to escape from pressure from the defense.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
yes but if you read what i said Vick is mobile enough to escape from pressure from the defense.

Ok, but what about these guys?

Drew Brees 6'0"

Jake Delhomme 6'2"

Brett Favre 6'2"

Jeff Garcia 6'1"

Kelly Holcombe 6'2"

Steve McNair 6'2"

Jake Plummer 6'2"

Anthony Wright 6'1"

I think the height argument is overrated.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Ok, but what about these guys? 

Drew Brees 6'0"

Jake Delhomme 6'2"

Brett Favre 6'2"- about where the height of a QB should be

Jeff Garcia 6'1"- Very Mobile

Kelly Holcombe 6'2"

Steve McNair 6'2"

Jake Plummer 6'2"

Anthony Wright 6'1"

I think the height argument is overrated.

Im not talking about height Im really talking about weight. Brees is actually mobile enough to buy time to throw to his receivers.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Im not talking about height Im really talking about weight.  Brees is actually mobile enough to buy time to throw to his receivers.

Ok, now you are grasping at straws and changing the argument.

it should be Orton's job to lose, but it shouldn't take much to lose it. right now, all that's being asked of Orton is to not screw up so bad that the defense can't keep it close. depending on how healthy Grossman is, I'd like to see a quarterback for the Bears capable of doing more than that. keep in mind, Grossman never had a receiver like Muhammed, he only had a few games throwing with Booker, who wasn't quite at Muhsin's level anyway.