Bears impending QB "controversy"?

When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. When Grossman is back at 100 percent healthwise, who should start at QB?

• Kyle Orton
    • Rex Grossman
    • Jeff Blake is better than both of them
    • Moses Moreno

Well for 1 he has accounted for 2 losses.... Id say not leading your team to 1 scoring drive... not even a fg which is all we would of needed is a reason to point the loss at him... and than obviously the Cincy game.

Now go look at it the other way around... how many of those games has Orton really been a big reason that we won?

That first detroit game? No id say our defense forcing 5 turnovers, RB's rushing near 200 yards, and special teams scoring a TD had more to it.

The vikings game? No not really he had the 2 TD's but both were really short and the reason we were there is because of the defense and TJ.... Orton barely threw over 100 yards that game.

Against the Ravens? Considering our leading reciever only had 50 yards.... and we only scored 10 points.... and TJ ran for around 140... I dont think Orton was a big factor into that game either... Also the only actual TD drive we had was deeply aided by Raven penalties... and the Ravens only scoring 6 points...

For the 2nd Detroit game I give him some credit for because he was part of that good 2nd quarter.... but another way to look at it is to say outside of that quarter he didnt score any points and our defense had to win the game with a TD... still ill give him some credit.

And than while he had that big pass to Muhsin at the end vs the Saints he played terrible the whole game... and if we did end up losing it would of been mostly because of him.......

So if your looking at games that Orton had a major role in... Id say he is 1-2......

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 04:34 AM)
If it was up to me the next time Grossman steps foot on the field will be in 06.  You go with Orton and if he is injured Jeff Blake is your QB.  You can't trust Grossman to stay healthy right now.

You really are hilarious..... If the Bears cant trust Grossman to stay healthy why not just cut him? Because if they dont think he can stay healthy why is he even on the team why is he on the 53 man active roster?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
You really are hilarious..... If the Bears cant trust Grossman to stay healthy why not just cut him?  Because if they dont think he can stay healthy why is he even on the team why is he on the 53 man active roster?

Why do you even bother?

What is so special about Grossman? I mean I am serious. His stats are very average. So he has a strong arm. He can never stay healthy. If i am the coach it is Orton and if he gets hurt you go to Jeff Blake. Than you can have a QB competition if you want. I would say though that if Orton leads this team to the playoffs what is the point of a QB battle at Training Camp.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 05:04 AM)
he is managing the game.  Look the bears would still be running the ball 65% of the time with Grossman in there anyways.  This was built as a run first team.

The difference is all those balls that you see overthrown by Orton... especially when the reciever is open... Grossman would be able to complete. And if he gets hurt again Orton can come right back in... he could probably learn a thing or two by just watching a couple games.

And I know ive said it b4 it would allow Orton to really focus on his mechanics too rather than worry about the next game 2 much.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
What is so special about Grossman?  I mean I am serious.  His stats are very average.  So he has a strong arm.  He can never stay healthy.  If i am the coach it is Orton and if he gets hurt you go to Jeff Blake.  Than you can have a QB competition if you want.  I would say though that if Orton leads this team to the playoffs what is the point of a QB battle at Training Camp.

Quincy Carter lead his team to the playoffs. Did you see where that ended up? Trent Dilfer lead his team to the playoffs. Sense a pattern here?

As for your diagnosis once again, you don't KNOW for 100% that the next time Grossman steps out onto a football field, he's going to do his ACL, or break his leg.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
he is managing the game.  Look the bears would still be running the ball 65% of the time with Grossman in there anyways.  This was built as a run first team.

But then you'd see the likes of Muhammed getting a lot more receptions, especially with the play-action pass, and Grossman being able to throw a much better deep ball.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Quincy Carter lead his team to the playoffs. Did you see where that ended up? Trent Dilfer lead his team to the playoffs. Sense a pattern here?

As for your diagnosis once again, you don't KNOW for 100% that the next time Grossman steps out onto a football field, he's going to do his ACL, or break his leg.

Quincy Carter got cut by the Cowboys because he had cocaine problems. Trent Dilfer led his team to the Super Bowl. And the Ravens IMHO made a big mistake in not bringing him back.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
But then you'd see the likes of Muhammed getting a lot more receptions, especially with the play-action pass, and Grossman being able to throw a much better deep ball.

but how do you know this. It's not like Grossman had a bunch of hacks as Receivers. I think Booker was a Pro Bowler once and Terrell was a solid #2 Receiver.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 06:11 AM)
but how do you know this.  It's not like Grossman had a bunch of hacks as Receivers.  I think Booker was a Pro Bowler once and Terrell was a solid #2 Receiver.

Booker was never a go to reciever though.... Muhsin is much better than Booker ever could be.... The best thing about Booker was he had those monster hands though lol he seemed to always own against Tampa.

And Terrell would be a decent number 2 but he drops every single thing thrown to him and he got cut by us, the patriots, and is way low on the depth chart for the Broncos so I fail to see how you consider him a solid #2.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
but how do you know this.  It's not like Grossman had a bunch of hacks as Receivers.  I think Booker was a Pro Bowler once and Terrell was a solid #2 Receiver.

And the Bears O-Line? What was it like back then I wonder.

Booker WAS a pro-bowler, that was before Grossman became the QB. Terrell, you should know as a Bears fan what they thought of him.

The point is, Grossman has a better deep ball, and won't overthrow receivers as much as Kyle Orton does.

Orton only has a completion percentage of 54.2%. For qualified QB's this season, that is the 3rd WORST in the NFL. QB Rating, 62.9, 2nd WORST in the NFL.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Booker was never a go to reciever though.... Muhsin is much better than Booker ever could be.... The best thing about Booker was he had those monster hands though lol he seemed to always own against Tampa.

And Terrell would be a decent number 2 but he drops every single thing thrown to him and he got cut by us, the patriots, and is way low on the depth chart for the Broncos so I fail to see how you consider him a solid #2.

because of the Receiving yards he put up and how much he made.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)

The point is, because a QB may lead you to the playoffs, it doesn't mean, oh he's automatically good enough.

Yeah Carter had a drug problem, but Parcells was looking for ANY excuse to make a change there. And has he been vindacated? Yeah.

Trent Dilfer, well Brian Billick is just stupid. But Dilfer hasn't really had any success at another NFL franchise, although he did do ok in Seattle for a while, until Hasselbeck finally emerged.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
but he is ok right now.

Don't you think though, that Chicago really has a chance to do something in the playoffs this season, and having Orton as the QB, they won't be able to?

As for him being a great QB, we'll have to wait and see. But the success rate for QB's in the last 3 years who have been taken higher than the 4th round, isn't that great.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
because of the Receiving yards he put up and how much he made.

Grossman didnt even have Booker for most of his games...

He had Booker his rookie season but not for last season and than Grossman hasnt even played this season.

In his 2nd season Grossman was throwing 200 yards a game and that was with the number 1 WR being Terrell and a crapshoot offensive line. Not 2 mention our defense has improved and giving our O better field position. So with less Grossman did more....

Not 2 mention pocket presence.... Grossman knew what was happening around him much more so than Orton does and part of that is because Grossman while not playing all the games has been in the NFL and studies twice as hard as Orton does.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Grossman didnt even have Booker for most of his games...

He had Booker his rookie season but not for last season and than Grossman hasnt even played this season.

In his 2nd season Grossman was throwing 200 yards a game and that was with the number 1 WR being Terrell and a crapshoot offensive line.  Not 2 mention our defense has improved and giving our O better field position.  So with less Grossman did more....

Not 2 mention pocket presence.... Grossman knew what was happening around him much more so than Orton does and part of that is because Grossman while not playing all the games has been in the NFL and studies twice as hard as Orton does.

And you gotta remember with Grossman, he's had to learn 3 different offensive systems in 3 straight years. I don't care who you are, that's tough to handle and adjust to.

And thank you for proving my point with the O-Line and WR's. :)