Why the Bears should take a shot at T.O.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Moss not catching anything his way.

Also, guys, keep this civil so we don't have to close this.

Oh, maybe my opinions would change if I saw the game. Either way this is a friendly debate. Excellent topic.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When comparing receivers, are we talking who is more talented, or who is the better producer?

If we're talking talented...that's easy as hell. Moss is a 6'4 giant with a huge vertical and like 4.15 speed to go along with pretty good hands. That's as talented as a receiver gets.

Being that long and skinny has its downfalls too...due to it, he's more injury prone than Owens is. That's going to hurt his numbers long term.

Production wise...the numbers speak for themselves. Owens is much better than Moss.

One thing to be considered...Moss has had, IIRC, Cunningham, George, Culpepper, and Collins as his QBs. Owens has had Garcia and McNabb. Maybe it's just me, but I think I'm going to give the nod for starting QBs behind the receivers to Moss...making his lesser recent career numbers compared to Owens even worse.

Considering everything on the field wise...give me Owens any day of the week.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
When comparing receivers, are we talking who is more talented, or who is the better producer?

If we're talking talented...that's easy as hell.  Moss is a 6'4 giant with a huge vertical and like 4.15 speed to go along with pretty good hands.  That's as talented as a receiver gets.

Being that long and skinny has its downfalls too...due to it, he's more injury prone than Owens is.  That's going to hurt his numbers long term.

Production wise...the numbers speak for themselves.  Owens is much better than Moss.

One thing to be considered...Moss has had, IIRC, Cunningham, George, Culpepper, and Collins as his QBs.  Owens has had Garcia and McNabb.  Maybe it's just me, but I think I'm going to give the nod for starting QBs behind the receivers to Moss...making his lesser recent career numbers compared to Owens even worse.

Considering everything on the field wise...give me Owens any day of the week.

Thats a great interpretation but I said Moss is best considering the following aspects:

Talent

Numbers

Off-Field Crap

I'm not going to read this whole thread, because TO won't be coming to the Bears. But, damn! How can somebody that just watched the example shown by the Sox on what teamwork can accomplish advocate signing the most selfish maggot in sports today?

I don't feel like reading this whole thread, but I think TO is worth a shot. The last two years he has been the best WR in football. Yes, he's been a major pain in the ass, but his antics have typically been minor in the past (obviously excluding this year), even more so when the team is winning. He was virtually a model citizen last year, and outside of some TD celebrations he was harmless for most of his time in San Francisco. If the Bears were to get him, they would immediately become one of the favorites in the NFC. I think it's worth a shot for one, maybe two years. If he starts becoming a problem again, you cut him. As long as you are not locked into him long term (I guess in the NFL you almost never are, you could cut him at any time), his talent can override the fact that he is a jerk-off. The Bears' offense is in desperate need of another playmaker, and you aren't going to find any as big as TO. For a level of talent as high as TO's, he's worth a risk as long as he doesn't require a long term contract at the moment. In the short term, he can be a highly productive player who usually keeps his antics to a minimum when winning and with a new team for a while.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
I'm not going to read this whole thread, because TO won't be coming to the Bears.  But, damn!  How can somebody that just watched the example shown by the Sox on what teamwork can accomplish advocate signing the most selfish maggot in sports today?

because a receiver like TO (or Moss even) will mask the mediocrity of some QBs. look at Culpepper, suddenly when 3 defenders aren't committed to Moss nearly every down it's a lot harder to find the other receivers. McNabb's completion percentage went from something like 58% to 65% when TO got there. suddenly opponents are actually worried about the Bears' passing game, and now Thomas Jones is becoming more productive.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
because a receiver like TO (or Moss even) will mask the mediocrity of some QBs.  look at Culpepper, suddenly when 3 defenders aren't committed to Moss nearly every down it's a lot harder to find the other receivers.  McNabb's completion percentage went from something like 58% to 65% when TO got there.  suddenly opponents are actually worried about the Bears' passing game, and now Thomas Jones is becoming more productive.

But when Moss was hurt for a couple games last year, Culpepper's production didn't really suffer that much. Which is why they thought they could improve without Moss this year.

Something else had to be bothering Culpepper.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
The Bears have Orton and Grossman at QB.

TO would not come here.

Right now...I don't think Owens is going to have a lot of choices. He's going to have to find someone who will sign him to a 1 year trial deal and just shut his mouth, otherwise he may never play football again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
But when Moss was hurt for a couple games last year, Culpepper's production didn't really suffer that much.  Which is why they thought they could improve without Moss this year.

Something else had to be bothering Culpepper.

Matt Birk being out might have had some effect, but look who the Vikes played last year when Moss was out. Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Detroit. his good showings this year? Carolina, New Orleans, and Green Bay. Carolina's pass defense this year is 25th in YPG. we all know New Orleans and Green Bay aren't too sharp defensively this year, and last year Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Detroit were 28th, 25th, and 20th, respectively, in pass defense.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
If he acts like he did last year than i have no problem with it.  He really wasn't a problem last year.

You dont remember that scene from last year when T.O. was following McNabb around the sideline chirping in his ear, when Donovan couldnt get away from him? there was plenty of problems last year. But the magic of winning made everything better.

Take away the consistent winning, and T.O. becomes a malcontent. Every time. And he throws ALL of his QBs under the bus. There is no reason the Bears should even think of giving T.O. a shot to destroy the team.

I didn't read any of this thread, but re: T.O. as a Bear:

HELL, NO!!!!!!

His talents, and they are myriad, are not anywhere close to being worth the hassles he will bring.

I saw Mike Lupica comparing Rodman to T. O. on Sunday. WTF, over?

Rodman= 5 rings. T. O.= 0 rings.

Rodman= saying and doing things to take pressure off, like the Fool in Shakespeare or the "backwards walker" in Plains Native tribes. T. O.= saying and doing things which make it harder for your team to win.

T. O. will end up in the NFL next year, no doubt. Just not with the Bears, please.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 7, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Numbers

Off-Field Crap

It's been proven time and time and time again in this thread that Owens has better numbers. I think it's safe to say you can stop arguing that point.

And Owens has a big mouth. I prefer a big mouth over one of my players running into an officer on duty and an admitted marijuana smoker* any day of the week.

*I am not at all against marijuana smoking, I just don't want one of my players ingesting an illegal substance one way or another during the season...that's just outright dumb

I would definately want TO here. When Owens puts up the numbers he does, and the Bears' receiving core (after Mohammed) blows as much as it does, you put aside the "cancer" allegations. I put the quotes around cancer since AJ and Everett (and what the Chicago media has done to Frank) shows me not to believe everything I hear. I think this whole thing has been fueled by the media, who loves drama.

I could care less if the WR and QB take each other out to lunch, let alone like each other. There would be question to what numbers he could put up with our QB, but he's obviously an upgrade no matter what. As long as a guy goes 100% on every play, then he's okay in my book (and this particular guy is damn good!), the word 'cancer' is overused, as if the stupid comments would do something to the performance of McNabb, which tells me more about McNabb than Owens. A cancer does things that hurts the team directly (misses practice, doesn't give 100%, purposely commits stupid penalties, etc).

Don't swallow everything the media force feeds you, an old college friend I know has relations with TO, he's a real nice guy. He's real competitive though, and when he does call out people he just wants to win

I don't want TO around our rookie QB. He'd murder him when Orton missed him on a couple passes. That said him and Mushin would make it a lot easier on TO.

Some team may get really lucky on TO this offseason (he may have finally realized he needs to just shut up and play).