Mark Shapiro, NOT Kenny Williams, Exec of the Year

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
Okay, I can't justify this at all. 

I can justify us not winning an MVP, ROY, Cy, or GG, but this is ridiculous.

KW, call the cops, you got robbed.

Agreed here. Kenny did maybe the best job of all time reconstructing a team in one offseason, he's the man and the exec of the year, I don't care what sporting news says.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
It's because of that awesome Juan Gonzalez signing.

Don't forget that Aaron Boone signing was a real doozy too. :bang

It seems the media has jumped on board the Cleveland "Youth Movement" and is cheerleading them to awards and the World Series in 2006. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way, as the White Sox showed this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
Actually I think the Sporting News award may be the main award. IRRC, didn't Ozzie win the Sporting News Manager of the Year Award?

Do the other GM's vote on the award, because that's what they did with Ozzie's (rmember Macha had 4 votes, Guillen only had 5)?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Do the other GM's vote on the award, because that's what they did with Ozzie's (rmember Macha had 4 votes, Guillen only had 5)?

If I did about 3 minutes worth of research I could answer all questions involved in this situation. However, I just don't care enough about this to make the effort.

For some unknown reason I just don't care about individual awards all that much this season.

Here we go;

Mark Shapiro's Indians ranked in the bottom five in payroll this season but were among the best teams in the majors during the second half. Kevin Millwood and Bob Wickman, Shapiro's recent free-agent signings, worked out well. And the Indians won 93 games and fell just short of the playoffs one year after they went 80-82.

Now factor in Shapiro's work during his first three years on the job and his 2005 resume becomes even more impressive. Shapiro has transformed the Indians from an aging club with too many bloated contracts into one of the best young teams in the game. There were more lows than highs in his first three years on the job, but Shapiro had the conviction to stick with his plan. He did not seek a quick fix. He dealt big contracts for talented young players. He patiently waited for the young talent to develop. He thought outside the box when it came to free agents.

Along the way, Shapiro, 38, gained the respect of his peers, who named him the Sporting News Executive of the Year. In ballots cast by two executives from every club, Shapiro edged White Sox general manager Ken Williams, 20 1/3 to 18 1/3 votes. Braves general manager John Schuerholz finished third with 12 1/3. The voting began in late September and finished in early October.

"Great year, great vision, rebuilt system," Rockies GM Daniel O'Dowd wrote on his ballot. "Quality person who shares credit with all; should be good for years to come."

"He has seen his rebuilding plan evolve into a formidable group of young players," new Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes wrote. "He made quality decisions . . . and perhaps most important, he has hired and cultivated a great staff that believes in him."

Here's the thing. Shapiro made all the moves to garner the youth movement in years prior to '05. But it's not like you could give him the award when those moves were made because you have no idea how the plan will pan out. I guess all I can say is him and Kenny both deserve worlds of credit for their achievements.

Here's the thing.  Shapiro made all the moves to garner the youth movement in years prior to '05.  But it's not like you could give him the award when those moves were made because you have no idea how the plan will pan out.  I guess all I can say is him and Kenny both deserve worlds of credit for their achievements.

What's more impressive? Re-tooling your entire team and winning a World Series or building towards the future with no real guarantee of a World Series? I know which one I would pick.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
What's more impressive?  Re-tooling your entire team and winning a World Series or building towards the future with no real guarantee of a World Series?  I know which one I would pick.

Yeah he brought a WS championship team but people might be quick to forget the youth he brought here too. Ando, Jenks, Bmac, Cotts, Young, Gio, Rogo, etc. All KW....I think.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:31 AM)
It seems the media has jumped on board the Cleveland "Youth Movement" and is cheerleading them to awards and the World Series in 2006. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work that way, as the White Sox showed this season.

The Twins 1st place finishes were always discounted, too. I'll take a few more from the sox. The media always loves a good story, like a young team seemingly on the rise, over a scrappy bunch of veterans. Whether Clev. can do anything, who knows. But the sox team isn't exactly filled with overachievers, who had career yrs. They have plenty of room for improvement, esp offensively.