Mark Shapiro, NOT Kenny Williams, Exec of the Year

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KW speaks:

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

The MLB Executive of the Year recipient was announced Monday night at the GM meetings and Indians general manager Mark Shapiro captured the award.

"I didn't expect it anyway," Williams said. "Ultimately, all I really cared about, and still care about, is getting Jerry Reinsdorf and the city of Chicago a World Series championship. We have done that.

"Now I want to see if we can do it again, and that fire is burning even hotter at this point. Therefore, it doesn't allow me much time to worry about those things. I think my staff is more [upset about it] than I am."

He would rather spend his time concentrating on other things -- such as the team.

"We'll figure it out," he said. "I am OK

There should be absolutely no doubt whether Guillen wins Manager of the Year tomorrow. ABSOLUTELY none. Whether you believe Wegde deserved the award due to the Indians late season resurgence is irrelevant. If anything, the White Sox rebounding from their supposed collapse should only reinforce Guillen's grasp on the award. Even before our postseason surge, when votes were likely cast, Guillen deserved recognition.

I understand we won the World Series--and that's ultimately all that matters. But Williams missing his well-deserved acolades disappointed me. If Guillen loses, I'll be convinced a contingent of teams were so upset with our success they combined efforts to vote against us. And on that issue--does anyone know if there's any method of disclosing which teams voted for which person? I wouldn't be shocked if Anaheim, Boston, Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, Cubs, Houston, Kansas City, Oakland alone voted against Williams.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Why do I have a feeling KW, deep down inside, really did kind of want this award?

He said the PC thing.  And what he said was his first goal was what the truth.

I'm with you -- he's a competetive guy and who doesn't want praise? What's more, he deserves it!!

Oh well, yet another reason to dislike the Indians...as if I had room for anymore.

"But the sox team isn't exactly filled with overachievers, who had career yrs. They have plenty of room for improvement, esp offensively."

huh?

Career Year: Contreras, Buehrle, Garland, Konerko, Politte, AJ...

I mean, not everyone had a career year, though they certainly had their share of overachievers, but as you note, the offense can still get much better.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
"But the sox team isn't exactly filled with overachievers, who had career yrs. They have plenty of room for improvement, esp offensively."

huh?

I mean, not everyone had a career year, though they certainly had their share of overachievers, but as you note, the offense can still get much better.

I wouldn't call AJ having a career year. He degressed in nearly every offensive catagory except hr's.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
I wouldn't call AJ having a career year. He degressed in nearly every offensive catagory except hr's.

Nor would I include Buehrle and Konerko in the "career year" catagory. Contreras and Garland are finally doing what has been expected of them for a couple of years. Basically, I don't think this a case of these over performing with little chance of them repeating their siccess.

I'm not sure how this could be considered Konerko's career year when he hit more HR and more RBI last year. Sure, his OPS was slightly higher, but its not like it was a real difference. Someone having a career year would be a 30 year old player who has been in the majors for 8 years and has a career OPS of .700, then finally has a .950 OPS in a year.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)

huh?

By that logic, the Indians took a huge step back. There weren't too many career years over there either.

It's over and done with, but still trying to figure out why Shapiro won this. What did he do in the offseason? Sign Millwood? Jose Hernandez? He kept pretty much the same team that he had the previous year. The only thing he really did was lay the groundwork for a POTENTIAL contending team. Everything else is up to the manager. Oh, well.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
It's over and done with, but still trying to figure out why Shapiro won this.  What did he do in the offseason?  Sign Millwood? Jose Hernandez?  He kept pretty much the same team that he had the previous year.  The only thing he really did was lay the groundwork for a POTENTIAL contending team.  Everything else is up to the manager.  Oh, well.

Exactly, he signed 1 player...Kenny reworked the whole team...THIS YEAR

Shapiro signed Millwood. - Great acquisition.

Signed Alex Cora. - Ended up trading him to Boston for a prospect I think.

Signed Juan Gonzalez. - That worked out GREAT!

Traded Gerut for Dubois. - No gain

Signed Arthur Rhodes - Good acquisition

Am I missing anything else? Oh wait! They signed Jeff Leifer!! Besides these they extended contracts to their own players. How the hell did he earn that more than KW?

Now in 04 they signed Wickman, Boone, Betancourt and Peralta but they didn't go anywhere.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
nobody except garland and contreras had career years...I don't quite understand where you got the rest from.

I think Hermanson had a career year until his back injury sidelined him. Politte and Cotts had career years, other than that the team was at or below their career norms

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
I think Hermanson had a career year until his back injury sidelined him.  Politte and Cotts had career years, other than that the team was at or below their career norms

good call on hermanson, but i'm not really worried with jenks being our closer.

cotts and politte yes. Although, hopefully with Cotts, its a sign of things to come.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
good call on hermanson, but i'm not really worried with jenks being our closer.

cotts and politte yes. Although, hopefully with Cotts, its a sign of things to come.

Even the call on Hermanson is debatable. He had only previously held the closer's role for part of the season at SF. KW signed him because he's a quality pitcher who also happens to be a versatile pitcher. Signing Hermanson allowed the Sox to have some flexibility with their pitching staff, which was part of the plan. You can say that DH had a career high in saves and be absolutely correct. I look at DH as pitcher that knows how to pitch. His job was to get outs regardless of his role. He had shown that ability in past and continued to so for the Sox.