Partial Iraq pullout announced

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174826,00.html

Troop levels are set to drop from the current 161,000 to only 92,000 after next years rotation is complete.  This is defenitely good news.

Wrong. Rumsfeld stated today that to assume this means a drawdown in US troops in Iraq, is a mistake.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
A lengthening of each tour.

Is there a SOP when deciding who stays longer..? Do those with children get to come home before those without? Or is it voluntary? Length of service? Rank? Or does it not matter at all. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Is there a SOP when deciding who stays longer..? Do those with children get to come home before those without? Or is it voluntary? Length of service? Rank? Or does it not matter at all.  :huh

I don't think it matters at all. From what I've been able to see, there's no real pattern other than "Who is useful" and "Who is scheduled to come home at the wrong time." If you're in a key skilled job, you may well be stuck there for longer. If you're scheduled to come home 3 weeks before an election, you probably shouldn't even pack.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I don't think it matters at all.  From what I've been able to see, there's no real pattern other than "Who is useful" and "Who is scheduled to come home at the wrong time."  If you're in a key skilled job, you may well be stuck there for longer.  If you're scheduled to come home 3 weeks before an election, you probably shouldn't even pack.

To add to that, they keep whole units over there as much as they can, they dont send individuals or small groups back.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
Well,  if we're not sending as many troops over for the next rotation as the current one what does he want to call it then?

I was just trying to add some pertinent information to the discussion. I didn't know much more than that about the subject, as I just seen a sound byte of Rumsfeld.