If We Lost Konerko........

BreezyBuerhle

"If the Houston Astros could replace Carlos Beltran, is Konerko replaceable?

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want to disappoint his growing fan base, not with all those requests for information about season tickets, so the Sox will try to convince agent Craig Landis (the son of former White Sox center fielder Jim Landis) to steer his client back to Chicago. But Konerko's father, Hank, told an Arizona newspaper last month that there would be no hometown discounts—the time for that was last winter, and Williams wanted to keep his options open. Now it's Konerko's turn to study his options.

At $8.75 million, Konerko was the highest-paid player on the 2005 Sox, taking up less than 12 percent of a $75 million payroll. As that percentage of payroll goes higher, even if the payroll does increase to $85 million, it will be more difficult for Williams to keep his team as deep as it was during the dream season. With Boston, the Los Angeles Angels, the New York Mets and possibly Yankees interested in Konerko, the price per season could jump above $14 million, the

franchise-record salary Magglio Ordonez was paid in 2004.

The best internal choice to replace Konerko would be to move Jermaine Dye to first base, creating an opening in the outfield for prospect Brian Anderson, a former first-round draft choice who hit .295 with 16 homers last season at Triple-A Charlotte. Casey Rogowski, currently hitting .316 with 15 RBIs in 13 games for Azucareros in the Dominican Republic after a solid year at Double-A Birmingham, is another possibility."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

I really like what I see in Casey Rogowski. I remember seeing him in Spring Training this year and the guy looks like a tank. I'm sure if he made it in the big leagues, people would scream Steroids at him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
Letting Konerko go and putting Rogowski at first base is just asking to suck next season.

Rogo needs a year in AAA, although his BA was heartening down at B-Ham. I doubt he'll hit for anything more than 15-20 HR's in a full season though. J.T Snow like.

The only way Id consider a Rogo at 1B plan is if they went and spent the money to bring in Giles at RF and traded away Dye.  Also a course brought back Frank.  Anyone think this lineup would get it done?

Podsenick

Iguchi

Giles

Thomas

Pierznski

Crede

Uribe

Rogowski

Anderson

If we signed Giles, I'd rather just keep Dye and play him at first base.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Giles

Thomas

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

Edited by SSH2005

Has everyone given up on Rowand? A slight sophomore slump at the plate (even though he was right on par with most of the team in terms of avg., runs, etc.) and improved, stellar outfield play and he is already written off? I agree he has to cut down on his strikeouts and get more plate discipline but he's still relatively young and an outstanding centerfielder, a solid teammate and the epitome of "grinder" baseball.

I don't think you make big shake-ups to a championship team. We know how we won: pitching & defense and we know what we need: a left-handed bat and possible power in the middle of the line-up to replace Carl, Frank and/or Konerko. So, I think the team should look like this (if Kong leaves):

LF: Pods

2B: Iguchi

RF: Giles or Hideki Matsui (although, I wouldn't mind keeping Dye here and getting a left-handed 1B: Overbay?)

1B: Dye

DH: Thomas or Borchard (I think he will have a great spring in his last shot with WS)

C: Pierzynski

CF: Rowand

3B: Crede

SS: Uribe

Bench: Widger ( C), Anderson (OF), Harris (IF), Ozuna (IF), Gload/Rogo (1B) or if we get Overbay instead of Giles or Matsui...maybe Owens (OF).

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Borchard could not start on this team when they sucked for a few years.  There is NO WAY he'll start, and probably not even be in the majors, the year after they won the World Series.

I agree if its the same Borchard. I think that something will click and he will be able to consistently hit for power. Maybe a .260 hitter but with 35 HR and 90+ RBIs, I think he could be an upgrade to Crazy Carl as a switch hitter. Sometimes it takes guys longer like Pods, etc. but once they find their niche, they maybe able to do some damage. Would you keep Borchard if you thought you might get 40HR and 150K? Its a trade-off but pop from the left side (majority of the time) might be worth it, especially if we lost Kong.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
I agree if its the same Borchard.  I think that something will click and he will be able to consistently hit for power.  Maybe a .260 hitter but with 35 HR and 90+ RBIs, I think he could be an upgrade to Crazy Carl as a switch hitter.  Sometimes it takes guys longer like Pods, etc. but once they find their niche, they maybe able to do some damage.  Would you keep Borchard if you thought you might get 40HR and 150K?  Its a trade-off but pop from the left side (majority of the time) might be worth it, especially if we lost Kong.

Borchard has always been an enigma in my eyes. Every time he comes up to the big leagues, suddenly his bat totally disappears for anything other than an occasional home run. He winds up hitting like .150 or something ridiculous like that. Then he's sent down to the minors, where he struggles for 2 months. He then finds his swing and winds up hitting like .260 with a ton of home runs, but still a lot of strikeouts. He then comes back up, and the cycle repeats.

I don't want to lose the guy, but he still needs to prove to me that he can hit big league pitching, and he hasn't done that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
Borchard has always been an enigma in my eyes.  Every time he comes up to the big leagues, suddenly his bat totally disappears for anything other than an occasional home run.  He winds up hitting like .150 or something ridiculous like that.  Then he's sent down to the minors, where he struggles for 2 months.  He then finds his swing and winds up hitting like .260 with a ton of home runs, but still a lot of strikeouts.  He then comes back up, and the cycle repeats.

I don't want to lose the guy, but he still needs to prove to me that he can hit big league pitching, and he hasn't done that.

borchard is done with the Sox. I have no doubt about. We just don't have the time or the roster spot to wait on him anymore. He might very well "get it" with the next team or he might not. All I know is Brian Anderson has passed him on the depth charts, and there are exactly zero openings for starting OFs as of right now. Borch will not be on the 40 man roster next year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
borchard is done with the Sox.  I have no doubt about.  We just don't have the time or the roster spot to wait on him anymore.  He might very well "get it" with the next team or he might not.  All I know is Brian Anderson has passed him on the depth charts, and there are exactly zero openings for starting OFs as of right now.  Borch will not be on the 40 man roster next year.

Do we have any bat boy positions open? :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
borchard is done with the Sox.  I have no doubt about.  We just don't have the time or the roster spot to wait on him anymore.  He might very well "get it" with the next team or he might not.  All I know is Brian Anderson has passed him on the depth charts, and there are exactly zero openings for starting OFs as of right now.  Borch will not be on the 40 man roster next year.

Last year we did basically have 2 backup outfielders...Everett and Timo, both of whom may be gone next year, so I wouldn't say for certain that we don't have a spot open on the 25 man roster...a lot of that may depend on what happens with Thomas and Konerko.

I agree with you though, the chances are 95% he's gone at the end of spring training.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
His numbers suggest he can command the strike zone, but he's got little pop, especially for a corner infielder.

His 37 doubles and 9 homers in AA suggest differently.

I see no reason why he wouldn't be a .280 25 80 .380/.450/.830 player at the majors. Not this year, obviously...but to say he has no pop is a little ridiculous.

Those homer totals could be a bit low too when all is said and done...I have never seen Rogowski play, so I don't know what his swing looks like, but from what I can tell of his numbers at AA, and how big he is(6'3, 230), he could be a pretty solid power hitter when all is said and done.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Last year we did basically have 2 backup outfielders...Everett and Timo, both of whom may be gone next year, so I wouldn't say for certain that we don't have a spot open on the 25 man roster...a lot of that may depend on what happens with Thomas and Konerko.

I agree with you though, the chances are 95% he's gone at the end of spring training.

I can't see keeping a guy with a long swing and not much speed on the bench as a 4th or 5th OFer under Ozzies system. He values versatilty, and guys who can make an instant contribution only playing once or twice a week. I just don't see Borchard being that guy, and i don't believe the Sox do either. Really its too bad as Borch has done everything the Sox have asked him for, he has never complained, and he has a great work ethic. Chicago just isn't the right place at the right time for Joe.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)

while i agree with you 100% i think that releasing borchard is a bad idea for all the other reasons people are talking about. since he is an enigma with a huge upside, why not give him the 5th outfielder spot (presuming he takes it)...look, at least when he pinch hits you know hes either hitting one 500 feet or missing it by 5 feet.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
while i agree with you 100% i think that releasing borchard is a bad idea for all the other reasons people are talking about.  since he is an enigma with a huge upside, why not give him the 5th outfielder spot (presuming he takes it)...look, at least when he pinch hits you know hes either hitting one 500 feet or missing it by 5 feet.

I don't think he will get released. I think he will end up as a piece in a bigger puzzle of a trade this winter.

Good article, and its good to look at other options just in case Pauly decides to go elsewhere. However, everything would be easy if PK just re-signs! My heart says he will, but my gut feeling is saying he'll leave.

Jermain Dye is an excellent Right Fielder. Why mess up our awersome defensive outfield? I don't want to see Rogowski up here and dont want to see Gload as our full-time 1B. Soooo, with that being said I would rather KW go after Overbay. He'll likely be on trade market saying Prince Fielder is there 'next big thing'. Saying the Brewers and Sox have established a trading partnership based on last years blockbuster deal- i can see Overbay making his way over to the southside. The thing is what will Kenny give up to aqcuire him? Who knows?!?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I don't think he will get released.  I think he will end up as a piece in a bigger puzzle of a trade this winter.

I thought Borchard was a FA after this season.

Maybe I am thinking wrong though.

Either way...I'm not sure he has much value anyways. If he is involved in a trade, I'd have to imagine he's either going to be a throw-in or he'll be traded in an Escobar for Owens type fashion.