Be A Pal

nitetrain8601

Psychology

Plus

You will never have to get a job (because no one will hire you)

You will get to stay in school forever, because if you want to find a job you will need at LEAST one additional graduate school

You can always tell your parents, hey, at least I wasn't a Philosophy major!

Minus

People will always ask you, "Oh are you going to analyse everything I say?"

Freud was a crackhead

People will tell you all their problems (although, maybe a plus, if you enjoy gossip. . .)

Germanic Studies

Pros:

You get to speak German

Did you not understand the speaking German aspect?

You can scare the f*** out of anyone while yelling in German

Cons:

Christ, who cares? You're speaking German!

German is a part of my (possible) triple major, and I love it.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:40 AM)
Germanic Studies

Pros:

You get to speak German

Cons:

i've found college german much more fulfilling and interesting than high school german...

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Germanic Studies

Pros:

You get to speak German

Cons:

You forgot the going over to Germany and enjoying the Oktoberfest as well. :D

Currently I'm studying Business majoring in Accounting and Finance like quite a few other people here (like Jason, Greasy I think, and KJean). It's pretty much the majors that are most popular if you do business, and will probably most help get you a job out of grad school.

That said, I still really wanna work in the sports industry in the States, somehow if that oppurtunity opens up.

Take your University Catalog. Start on page one and circle every course that you think you would enjoy taking. When you are finished, thumb through and see where the circled classes are.

You just found your major.

Later, when you are interviewing for positions, many will ask for a college degree, and it won't even be in the field you are interviewing. For example, many businesses like to hire Psychology majors for certain positions, not business majors. Newspapers want to degrees in economics, science, business, etc instead of a journalism degree. Why? Because the history of journalism isn't much use when you are interviewing the new Federal Reserve Board Chairperson, but economics would be nifty.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
journalism

pros:

get to meet many people and understand your community

sense of accomplishment in the work

communications

cons:

starting pay low

deadlines

some fields competitive (broadcast/sports)

i'm in journalism at u of missouri, and they recruit kids out of our j-school, so i feel pretty good about getting a job out of school even if its but 35-40K coming out

You did pass the secret, liberal only test, they give to assure that all journalists think the same and will work together to elect Presidents?!

And to clarify my point above. Experience stringing during college, demonstrate you can write, have almost any major, and you will be employed. Look on TV and see Greta for example, a shining example of a lawyer, turned commentator.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
Thanks for the advice once again Tex.

the stat that my advisor loves to throw in his emails :

after 5 years, something like 75% of graduates are doing something completely unrelated to their major.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)

after 5 years, something like 75% of graduates are doing something completely unrelated to their major.

Like myself, which I am going back to grad school next summer for something completely unrelated to my major, which is political science.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)

It's very, very close to accurate.

Business Mgmt, Accounting-Finance Major.. I started out as an office "helper" (light ap, ar, payroll duties), moved to ar/ap manager then on to full office manager, figuring I'd end up heading an Accounting Dept/Controller/Director of Finance in the long run. I was on the way until an Analyst position came up. Much different from what I was doing - but more interesting, better pay, and a much more relaxing work environment being that I can work at my own pace without interruption from the bosses as long as the projects are done on time. Definitely keep your mind and options open.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)

Count me in the 25% You don't get much more of being in a pure economic field as when you work on the floor of a stock exchange :headbang

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)

You did pass the secret, liberal only test, they give to assure that all journalists think the same and will work together to elect Presidents?!

And to clarify my point above. Experience stringing during college, demonstrate you can write, have almost any major, and you will be employed. Look on TV and see Greta for example, a shining example of a lawyer, turned commentator.

s***, i'm not gonna get a job now am i

damn journalism

liberal test comes junior year

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
s***, i'm not gonna get a job now am i

damn journalism

liberal test comes junior year

Please choose the most correct answer:

Is Bill Clinton

A. The most awesomest President since FDR

B. The victim of a vast rightwing conspiracy

C. The third anti-Christ