2005 Manager of the Year

tonyho7476

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
They started giving out this award in 1983 and the Chicago White Sox have won it 5 times, well more than any other team.

WOW.

1983 - Tony Larussa

1990 - Jeff Torgorg

1993 - Gene Lamont

2000 - Jerry Manuel

2005 - Ozzie Guillen

Congrats Ozzie for taking us to the promised land!! :cheers

Congratulations Oswaldo :headbang

Reagarding the list, one of those will be a Hall of Fame manager when he is through.

Never in a million years did I think Ozzie could do it.

When he was first rumored as a candidate I ranted and raved during the ’03 playoffs when the Marlins pitcher lost his grip on the ball and it sailed over the dugout; before the next pitch Oz was standing on the top step with a catchers mitt. I thought he showed the guy up and posted a long rant that even quoted the leadership 101 seminar we use for new lead people at the shop. Rex Hudler told me to settle down, these guys are just ball players and don’t take it so seriously.

Then he gets hired and holds the mother of all press conferences, calling out a hero of mine, Frank Thomas. I thought Thomas was horribly disrespected during the Manuel years and here we go again. I thought Oz was a disaster, Bevington II. My avatar became Oz with a red Bozo wig.

Then came spring training ’04. Frank goes on TV and says that’s just Ozzie, don’t worry about it. I notice he communicates with his players and demands the best from them. Whether a guy is a star or a role player Oz just wants his best shot. I remember Konerko on the radio talking about how other managers would shun him when he K’d. He said Oz just tells him ‘You’re terrible’ and they both laugh. Midway through spring, my Bozo avatar goes to the trash can.

During the season the only guys he calls out are guys who don’t give their all …Loaiza comes to mind. He didn’t get over 89 through the first half and Oz is all over him to show his real stuff. At the freaking all-star game he throws 93 then goes back to 89 for the Sox. He was on the next bus to New York, traded for a seemingly lesser pitcher, Jose Contreras. Jose was up, down and sideways but never phoned an outing in.

Coming into ’05 I was convinced that the Oz was special. He kept the guys who wanted to play and they all seem to want to play for him. Through the season he and Don Cooper did a masterful job of using pitchers without wearing them down. Look at the innings the top 4 threw, yet every one of them was in fine shape for the playoffs. Think what would have happened if Oz gave in during the August slump and went to the 4-man rotation the media and some of us posters were demanding.

When the pressure was greatest and everyone was calling the Sox chokers he comes out with this goofy story about retiring if the win the WS. For a week that’s all the media asked about, in the mean time the team was straightening out.

So, I certainly deserve to eat some crow for my first reaction to him. I take my hat off to Ozzie Guillen. And I thank him that my hat says “Sox 05 World Series Champions”

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Never in a million years did I think Ozzie could do it. 

When he was first rumored as a candidate I ranted and raved during the ’03 playoffs when the Marlins pitcher lost his grip on the ball and it sailed over the dugout; before the next pitch Oz was standing on the top step with a catchers mitt.  I thought he showed the guy up and posted a long rant that even quoted the leadership 101 seminar we use for new lead people at the shop.  Rex Hudler told me to settle down, these guys are just ball players and don’t take it so seriously.

Then he gets hired and holds the mother of all press conferences, calling out a hero of mine, Frank Thomas.  I thought Thomas was horribly disrespected during the Manuel years and here we go again. I thought Oz was a disaster, Bevington II.  My avatar became Oz with a red Bozo wig.

Then came spring training ’04.  Frank goes on TV and says that’s just Ozzie, don’t worry about it.  I notice he communicates with his players and demands the best from them.  Whether a guy is a star or a role player Oz just wants his best shot.  I remember Konerko on the radio talking about how other managers would shun him when he K’d.  He said Oz just tells him ‘You’re terrible’ and they both laugh.  Midway through spring, my Bozo avatar goes to the trash can.

During the season the only guys he calls out are guys who don’t give their all  …Loaiza comes to mind.  He didn’t get over 89 through the first half and Oz is all over him to show his real stuff.  At the freaking all-star game he throws 93 then goes back to 89 for the Sox.  He was on the next bus to New York, traded for a seemingly lesser pitcher, Jose Contreras.  Jose was up, down and sideways but never phoned an outing in.

Coming into ’05 I was convinced that the Oz was special.  He kept the guys who wanted to play and they all seem to want to play for him.  Through the season he and Don Cooper did a masterful job of using pitchers without wearing them down.  Look at the innings the top 4 threw, yet every one of them was in fine shape for the playoffs.  Think what would have happened if Oz gave in during the August slump and went to the 4-man rotation the media and some of us posters were demanding.

When the pressure was greatest and everyone was calling the Sox chokers he comes out with this goofy story about retiring if the win the WS.  For a week that’s all the media asked about, in the mean time the team was straightening out.

So, I certainly deserve to eat some crow for my first reaction to him.  I take my hat off to Ozzie Guillen.  And I thank him that my hat says “Sox 05 World Series Champions”

Excellent post. :cheers It takes a real man to admit he was wrong, and then an even bigger man to time line it :)

Everyone knows I was one of Ozzie's biggest critics during the season. Outside of maybe one or two calls in the playoffs, I thought he managed perfectly. However, the thing I've most been impressed with Ozzie since the end of the regular season has been the way he's handled himself. He seems to be a lot more serious lately than he was, and I think that reflects well on Ozzie. Every interview I've seen/heard, he's been very centered and hasn't been the loose cannon that he was. I don't care who our manager is.....anyone that leads the White Sox to the World Series is a legend in my book. Congrats Ozzie!

as Hawk would say "I Love Ozzie Guiilen" Thank you Ozzie for help guiding our team to the title! You deserve this award!

I also want to thank my other 25 heros for making the 2005 playoffs a one to alway remember and cherish:

1. Conteras- where would we be w/o the rise of this Cuban Ace?!

2. Buerhle- a true clubhouse leader, the true White Sox Ace. what a stud

3. Garland- the california kid was hotter on the mound than the chicks on Laguna beach!

4. Garcia- Once again dominates in the playoffs! Reminds me of 2000 when he kicked our ass! I'm glad he is wearing the black and white now!

5. El-duque- How can we ever forget that game 3 performance in Boston- El-duque you really are a gamer and clutch! Thank you!

6. Pollite- Solid as always

7. Hermanson- Thanks for an awesome 1st half

8. Marte- When in doubt- you got the jobe done see game 3 of the WS

9. Cotts- what a true south paw!

10. Vizciano- Also got the job done- See game 3 of the WS.

11. "Big Bad" Jenks- one word- GASSSSSSS....

12. Widger- a softballers dream

13. Ozuna- speed kills baby!

14. Harris- Group 4!!!

15. Blum- WS game 3 hero- nuff said

16. Perez- thanks for being clutch during the RS

17. Podsednick- speed, defense and POWER!! Game 2 of the WS my favorite game of all-time! WALK OFF BABY!

18. Rowand- where would we be w/o his defense?

19. Dye- MVP, MVP, MVP!! The quite guy out in right who took over Maggs' spot!

20. Crede- The human vacuum cleaner at 3B, the Rally Crede! YESS!

21. Uribe- The loose cannon at SS, what a stud!

22. Iguchi- Game 2 vs Boston- nuff said!

23. Konerko- The face of our White Sox! A true leader, Pauly! Pauly! What a postseason!!!!

24. Peirzynski- What a menace! Glad he's on our side!!! LOL

25. Who am I missing? Well whatever- THANK YOU!!!!!!!