Ozzie wants a new #2 hitter

beck72

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
I always liked Albert. I didn't care what the media said about him. I seriously always thought he was just a guy with a ton of talent, but didn't want the fame, and he always seemed like a pretty shy guy. Sometimes shyness can be mistaken for arrogance. I know this from a personal stand. I'm VERY shy and don't react in crowds well at all, or with the "spotlight" (unless I am on stage with my guitar strapped on). So I tend to run from people and situations, and for years in the bands people thought I had a bad ego problem. I saw that same thing in Belle, I always thought.

Pretty accurate assesment.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Thats a great problem to have.  That would give you multiple options which is never a bad thing

Yes, it is a bad thing. You'd have a guy in limbo, there's nowhere to put him unless you trade Rowand for him which would be f***ing stupid. With Pierre in CF it would be a huge defensive downgrade.

Pierre is a better Scott podsednik, that's really all he is. Maybe Rowand should get another season to prove that '04 wasn't a fluke. Because for all you that are so high on Chad Tracy maybe you should compare Tracy's numbers from last year to Rowand's in '04, they're almost identical. Rowand had a bad '05, he deserves another season to prove he's better than that.

Is it possible that all the position players remain the same and the DH spot goes to a speedy guy in the 2 hole? I know it's not the norm to take the power away from the DH, but if speed is what we want, that's a way to get it and keep the same defensive setup.

It would take an extremely unselfish player, as he will be asked to take pitches, hit and run, hit to the right side, sacrifice and then he goes to the bench. Not too much glory in that. With a 2 hole guy that plays the field, at least your still out there making plays...... and with a normal DH you get the glory of a home run once in a while. This type of DH will strictly be playing a role. He may only get the opportunity to really swing away once or twice a game.

Weird strategy, but it does keep speed on the base paths. Even if the lead off guy doens't get on, this guy can get on and be the same base stealing threat. Also, if both get on the double steal is always a possibility. Im sure the pitcher and cather will have that on thier minds as well, while facing our #3 hitter.

This of course is only if Pauly is signed and Frank is elsewhere....but if Frank is back and healthy he is the DH and it's back to the drawing board.

Two things:

- Ozzie knew Pierre when he was with the Marlins.  In my mind, Ozzie and KW would jump at the chance to trade Rowand and a prospect for Pierre.

- Furcal wants a 5 yr deal.  If we're not going to give PK a 5 year deal, we're not going to give it to Furcal.  I'll still be STUNNED if he doesn't sign with the Cubs.

Pierre will earn $6 - $8 million via arbitration next season. He will be a free agent after next season. There's no way the Sox trade for him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Pierre will earn $6 - $8 million via arbitration next season.  He will be a free agent after next season.  There's no way the Sox trade for him.

unless he will sign an extention with an ozzie discount, ala freddy garcia

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
I always liked Albert. I didn't care what the media said about him. I seriously always thought he was just a guy with a ton of talent, but didn't want the fame, and he always seemed like a pretty shy guy. Sometimes shyness can be mistaken for arrogance. I know this from a personal stand. I'm VERY shy and don't react in crowds well at all, or with the "spotlight" (unless I am on stage with my guitar strapped on). So I tend to run from people and situations, and for years in the bands people thought I had a bad ego problem. I saw that same thing in Belle, I always thought.

And we better not get rid of Crede until we see if he did find the correction in his swing that would improve his game, as he claims to have done during his time off, and as we have seen since his return.

I thought that your screaming "AM I THE ONLY ONE IN THIS BAND WITH TALENT????" was the reason they thought you had an ego problem?

:P

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
great points, RR.  would anyone else in the league but Uribe been able to make that last play of game 4 of the WS? 

i also think you are right about maybe not moving Iguchi from the #2 spot.  in the first half Pods and Gooch could have been the best 1-2 combo in baseball, they did everything right for their roles.

I just dont get everyone calling for Juan Pierre-come on, do we really need another scotty pods in the OF. We already have an under producing CF, do we need antoher one.

Seriously, just because its possible to put someone else in a role where gooch was alreaday successful, doesnt mean we are going to go out and trade a starter, or sign a big name FA like Furcal. It just isnt going to happen! We already have holes to fill and a captain to sign, and you guys are callingfor KW to spend a whole bunch of money on a player we dont even need? Turn off your xbox consoles folks.

If we are going to switch someone around in the order, its going to come from within the team or the org. I dont think Oz was saying go out and sign someone. I think its possible with Jerry Owens hitting 406 in the VWL that he may think of giving him a shot on the club next year to try the #2 position. Either that or someone who is already on the sox. I think you are all getting WAYYYY ahead of yourselves.

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
i also think you are right about maybe not moving Iguchi from the #2 spot.  in the first half Pods and Gooch could have been the best 1-2 combo in baseball, they did everything right for their roles.

Ozzie's comments suggest that is precisely what he wants to do--move Iguchi from #2 and drop him down in an RBI slot.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Is it possible that all the position players remain the same and the DH spot goes to a speedy guy in the 2 hole?  I know it's not the norm to take the power away from the DH, but if speed is what we want, that's a way to get it and keep the same defensive setup. 

It would take an extremely unselfish player, as he will be asked to take pitches, hit and run, hit to the right side, sacrifice and then he goes to the bench.  Not too much glory in that.  With a 2 hole guy that plays the field, at least your still out there making plays...... and with a normal DH you get the glory of a home run once in a while.  This type of DH will strictly be playing a role.  He may only get the opportunity to really swing away once or twice a game.

Weird strategy, but it does keep speed on the base paths.  Even if the lead off guy doens't get on, this guy can get on and be the same base stealing threat.  Also, if both get on the double steal is always a possibility.  Im sure the pitcher and cather will have that on thier minds as well, while facing our #3 hitter.

This of course is only if Pauly is signed and Frank is elsewhere....but if Frank is back and healthy he is the DH and it's back to the drawing board.

I think the key is getting a DH who can also play the field well. So that gives the sox a lot of flexibility to "rest" guys at DH while the regular DH play the field.

Ozzie tried it with Everett in the OF. When he played the RF or LF, Ozzie could move Pods, Arow and Dye around, giving all three some timeoff.

If the sox do get a new #2 hitter, that player will probably have hit from that spot before. The sox are in a position where they don't and shouldn't experiment like they had to this yr with Iguchi. It worked out well. But getting a veteran who has had a lot of success in that spot would be huge. And they'd have Iguchi to fallback on.

To add to that, if the sox did get a new #2 hitter, a huge plus would be if that guy was able to hit leadoff. that way, if pods got hurt, someone could step in and keep the offense moving. Right now, the only guy the sox could use as leadoff would be Jerry Owens. And putting a AAA guy in that spot is asking for trouble. Get a new #2 hitter who also has experience in the leadoff spot.

Just so happens that both Castillo and Pierre have hit in both spots.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Yet, Soxtalk welcomes Furcal--a man with two DUIs on his record--with open arms. :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Consistency...Yes!

Good point. I recently read that while the rest of the Braves players were celebrating with champagne, he sat alone in another room. Later a few ran into his room and sprayed him water and pop I think. I don't want to read too much into that, but I'd say his problems are real. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
Good point.  I recently read that while the rest of the Braves players were celebrating with champagne, he sat alone in another room.  Later a few ran into his room and sprayed him water and pop I think.  I don't want to read too much into that, but I'd say his problems are real.    :huh

Well, after 2 DUIs and poor day game play for the past two season. I guess you can say he has some pretty serious problems.

I feel Furcal is going to sign with the Cubs, I just think that with the Sox winning the Series and the Cubs going from 1st, to 3rd to 4th in the last three years and having 30m under the cap, Hendry knows he needs to sign a legitimate leadoff hitter to give his team any sort of chance to win, considering Milwaukee is likely going to get better, St. Louis is still good and may get better with adding Giles and Houston should be solid again.

The last two years the Cubs couldn't manufacture a run to save their life, they are a perfect example of a lineup that might be quality for fantasy stats, but absolutely sucked when it came to winning ballgames, if I'm Florida and the Mets go crazy and out bid the Cubs for Furcal I would hold them hostage for Pierre

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
One other thing that should bother people about Pierre:

7 SB 6 CS 54%

46 SB 17 CS 73%

47 SB 12 CS 80%

65 SB 20 CS 76%

45 SB 24 CS 65%

57 SB 17 CS 77%

Castillo is the guy. But he's not easily replaced. Unless the sox took on a contract like Lowell's [which could happen if PK leaves], I don't see FLA getting rid of Castillo.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I feel Furcal is going to sign with the Cubs, I just think that with the Sox winning the Series and the Cubs going from 1st, to 3rd to 4th in the last three years and having 30m under the cap, Hendry knows he needs to sign a legitimate leadoff hitter to give his team any sort of chance to win, considering Milwaukee is likely going to get better, St. Louis is still good and may get better with adding Giles and Houston should be solid again.

The last two years the Cubs couldn't manufacture a run to save their life, they are a perfect example of a lineup that might be quality for fantasy stats, but absolutely sucked when it came to winning ballgames, if I'm Florida and the Mets go crazy and out bid the Cubs for Furcal I would hold them hostage for Pierre

Furcal+Wrigleyville+lots of day games =disaster.....so I hope they get him. :P

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Furcal+Wrigleyville+lots of day games =disaster.....so I hope they get him.  :P

lol, no doubt. I also think they'll sign him because he's a "name" and it will make Cubs fans happy. Even though they'll still need basically a whole new outfield, they likely would have a rookie at 2b maybe 2 rookies if they start Murton, at least 2 bullpen arms and about 3/5 of a rotation (I don't count Wood as anyone you can remotely count on at this point)

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Seeing how the sox should go with a guy with experience, here's how guys hit from the #2 spot this yr: [i put a minimum of 200 ab's]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...in=17&ageMax=51

The secret to batting #2 has nothing to do with BA.

It's being smart, knowing how to bunt and being willing to give yourself up.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Seeing how the sox should go with a guy with experience, here's how guys hit from the #2 spot this yr: [i put a minimum of 200 ab's]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...in=17&ageMax=51

hmmm, what guy is #4 on that list, would probably only cost $2-$3mil this season, hits lefty, and would be able to bat leadoff, while staying within the "Ozzie Doctrorine" of getting someone with speed?

:)

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
The secret to batting #2 has nothing to do with BA.

It's being smart, knowing how to bunt and being willing to give yourself up.

The secret is being able to do those little things while maintaining a high avg/ obp. I put up those names as people with experience in the #2 spot, which is what the sox would probably want--someone w/ experience hitting there. Iguchi was an experiment. It worked out well. But Ozzie seems to want new blood there.

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
hmmm, what guy is #4 on that list, would probably only cost $2-$3mil this season, hits lefty, and would be able to bat leadoff, while staying within the "Ozzie Doctrorine" of getting someone with speed?

We tried the Lofton thing once and it didn't work, it's not going to happen again. He did have a very solid year last year but that was mostly being in a platoon role.

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)

That was an interesting find. Still, Lofton....As a DH?! Still....