Mary Mapes: Bush National Guard Story

Controlled Chaos

Mary Mapes: Bush National Guard Story Still "Is a Good Story"

Good Morning America Interview...Some excerpts...

Ross: "After 12 days of defending them, CBS and Dan Rather later admitted they could not vouch for the authenticity of the documents and that they should not have been used and the story should not have aired.

"Do you still think that story was true?"

Mapes: "The story? Absolutely."

Ross: "This seems remarkable to me that you would sit here now and say you still find that story to be up to your standards."

Mapes: "I'm perfectly willing to believe those documents are forgeries if there's proof that I haven't seen."

Ross: "But isn't it the other way around? Don't you have to prove they're authentic?"

Mapes: "Well, I think that's what critics of the story would say. I know more now than I did then and I think, I think they have not been proved to be false, yet."

Ross: "Have they proved to be authentic though? Isn't that really what journalists do?"

Mapes: "No, I don't think that's the standard."

It's amazing to me that someone that has been in the business for 25 years doesn't understand the onus is on her to prove the authenticity of what she puts on the air. This isn't the Weekly World News lady.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
Mary Mapes: Bush National Guard Story Still "Is a Good Story"

Good Morning America Interview...Some excerpts...

It's amazing to me that someone that has been in the business for 25 years doesn't understand the onus is on her to prove the authenticity of what she puts on the air.  This isn't the Weekly World News lady.

She might be a good candidate to send to the UN to sell our next war. :D

QUOTE(zach61 @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
She might be a good candidate to send to the UN to sell our next war. :D

ZING! :notworthy

Yes, it is ironic that if you're in the media and you don't have your facts 100% checked out you get crucified, but if you are the President the same thing gets you the war you asked Santa for.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 10, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
ZING! :notworthy

Yes, it is ironic that if you're in the media and you don't have your facts 100% checked out you get crucified, but if you are the President the same thing gets you the war you asked Santa for.

Sadly, we have grown up expecting Presidents to lie.