John Rooney - New Cards Radio Announcer

CardsJimEdmonds15

John Rooney New Cardinals Radio guy

Hagin apparently out... but not 100 percent confirmed...

But Rooney on way...

--B

958890.jpg

John Rooney has spent 17 seasons as a Sox broadcaster, the last 16 as play-by-play radio announcer, and is signed to broadcast all the Sox games on ESPN 1000 through the 2005 season. He is a nationally recognized broadcaster, having worked a number of division series, league championship series, All-Star games and World Series. For three years, Rooney called Fox's Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. He has also been a college football, college basketball and NFL broadcaster. In the past, he worked for the Minnesota Twins, the University of Missouri and as a sports reporter in St. Louis. Rooney is from Richmond, Missouri, and he and his family reside in Palatine, Illinois.

Bernie is very reliable and always let's the Cards fans know things before they are announced.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Nov 11, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
Bernie is very reliable and always let's the Cards fans know things before they are announced.

This move makes the most sense since he just moved but stayed in the area. He's been wanting this job for years..

Hagin out, Rooney in on Cards broadcasts

BY DAN CAESAR

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

11/11/2005

johnrooneybig1110.jpg

The shakeups continue with the Cardinals radio broadcasts.

Wayne Hagin, who was hired two seasons ago to replace Jack Buck after the legendary Cards broadcaster died, has been fired.

He’ll be replaced by John Rooney, a former St. Louis sportscaster who has spent the last 18 years broadcasting the Chicago White Sox on radio. Rooney will work with Mike Shannon, who will be back for his 35th season on the air.

[More in URL]

I'm happy about this news but wonder if Hagin will be going to the Sox now? I dont like Shannon though and the Cards will never let him go. There will be a 2pm press conference about this. It will be interesting to her the new combo in the new ballpark next year though. I love this move but even though Wayne Hagin wasnt the greatest he wasnt that bad. Anybody have any sound bites from Rooney so I can hear some of his calls for the World Champion White Sox?

Great day for Rooney professionally, sad day for Sox Rooney fans.

What can you say, this guy is the best there is without a doubt.

It's horrible to see him leave the Sox (officially) but he's always wanted to work for the Cardinals.

Some of us were still holding out hope he would return to the Sox, even as unrealistic as it was.

Congrats to Roons, he definitely deserves this and now I'll be tuning in to select Cardinal games on XM to catch him calling the games.