A "Big Hurt"?

YASNY

In the Trib:

And the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported the Twins might—repeat, might—have interest in Frank Thomas (White Sox), Nomar Garciaparra (Cubs) or Mike Piazza (Mets) as a DH.

GM Terry Ryan was quoted as saying about those three: "I'm not going to address anybody specifically. But I would say, if it's somebody who can hit or drive the ball, we're interested."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
lol, they may have interest in him but I can almost gaurantee he'd have no interest in them. After all those years of playing for the White Sox, I just don't see Frank going to a rival like that.

Get.Real.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
Also its not like the Twins will offer him more money than anyone else....

Frank is exactly the type of player the Twins might go after. Someone that can really help them, but they could get cheap because of his health concerns. It's a gamble the Twins might take. As for Frank not going there, if they give him a shot at 500 HR, he gawn.

Frank is exactly the type of player the Twins might go after.  Someone that can really help them, but they could get cheap because of his health concerns.  It's a gamble the Twins might take.  As for Frank not going there, if they give him a shot at 500 HR, he gawn.

The whole Konerko situation is what makes me think Frank will be back next season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
Frank is exactly the type of player the Twins might go after.  Someone that can really help them, but they could get cheap because of his health concerns.  It's a gamble the Twins might take.  As for Frank not going there, if they give him a shot at 500 HR, he gawn.

So are you of the opinion that the Sox aren't going to give him that opportunity next season?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
lol, they may have interest in him but I can almost gaurantee he'd have no interest in them. After all those years of playing for the White Sox, I just don't see Frank going to a rival like that.

Two Words: A.J. Pierzynski! Now I ain't saying it is going to happen, in fact I doubt it but who thought Pierzynski would be a White Sox.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Two Words: A.J. Pierzynski!  Now I ain't saying it is going to happen, in fact I doubt it but who thought Pierzynski would be a White Sox.

The two situations are like apples and oranges.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
not really actually: AJ had a tough time finding a team to play with and I suspect that if Frank doesn't come back to the Sox he might be in that same position.

I was thinking more along the lines of how Frank has been here over a decade and we're coming off a World Series championship season. Those circumstances make it a little more difficult to leave for a division rival if the Sox give him a role next year.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)

It's a very smart move for the Twins (or any team) to sign Frank. He can probably be signed for $3-4 mill plus incentives. If healthy he'll out up a .400 OBP and hit 40 HR's. If not healthy, it'll cost a team about $3-4 mill. There's a lot of upside making it a good risk for most teams.

On the flip side, what do I do? Frank is my all time favorite player and will always be. I have Thomas jersey and if he switches teams, I'd by his jersey even if it said Twins on it. Is that wrong?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
It's a very smart move for the Twins (or any team) to sign Frank.  He can probably be signed for $3-4 mill plus incentives.  If healthy he'll out up  a .400 OBP and hit 40 HR's.  If not healthy, it'll cost a team about $3-4 mill.  There's a lot of upside making it a good risk for most teams.

On the flip side, what do I do?  Frank is my all time favorite player and will always be.  I have Thomas jersey and if he switches teams, I'd by his jersey even if it said Twins on it.  Is that wrong?

Bob

Nope, it's not wrong.

I hope Frank stays, but if he leaves the Twins would make sense for him.

I'm sure he'd much rather go to a team that is in contention than go somewhere like Tampa.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
I've said on numerous occasions, that I want to see Frank back here, if he wants to play, or just to retire.  It'd crush me to see him play anywhere else.

With that being said, I'm not the least bit worried.

same here.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Nov 12, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
It's a very smart move for the Twins (or any team) to sign Frank.  He can probably be signed for $3-4 mill plus incentives.  If healthy he'll out up  a .400 OBP and hit 40 HR's.  If not healthy, it'll cost a team about $3-4 mill.  There's a lot of upside making it a good risk for most teams.

On the flip side, what do I do?  Frank is my all time favorite player and will always be.  I have Thomas jersey and if he switches teams, I'd by his jersey even if it said Twins on it.  Is that wrong?

Bob

$3-4 mill? With that ankle of his, Frank might not even get a major league contract. Could be a minor league deal with a ST invite, lots of incentive clauses if he can play and makes the team, no liability to the team if he cracks that bone in his foot for the third consecutive year.

Nobody is going to spend multiple millions of dollars just to find out if he's OK.