A Must Watch...

sox4lifeinPA

what?

You requested that we view a video clip which appeared to be of a man masturbating in public at a football game.

Elsewhere, you have brought Christianity and a literalist interpretation of the Bible into your discussions as a bulwark for your moral views on some contentious social issues.

So, the *cough* thrust *cough* of my remark was that I viewed your post as having an element of:

That's all.

Hey Mercy!, how many posts do you have again? You and I have never discussed religion, politics, or otherwise, so beat it. (<--- points for pun? yes? no? judges? :lol:Please refrain from discussing what you think you know about me in further posts.

seacrest out.

All I “know” about you is the words you’ve posted here for everyone to read and comment on. And all of them are in play, and will continue to be. Same as for me.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
All I “know” about you is the words you’ve posted here for everyone to read and comment on.  And all of them are in play, and will continue to be.  Same as for me.

So you go back and read old posts, judge people, and then bring out old arguments which have no place in the current thread? Nice.

So you go back and read old posts, judge people, and then bring out old arguments which have no place in the current thread?  Nice.

Hi Kyyle - Stop and think about what you just said. It implies that every day you begin your life all over again with a tabla rasa; that you respond to everyone as if you knew nothing about them. Life (online and off) just doesn’t work that way.

Now, if you mean being unwilling to let go of some past personal conflicts with someone or bringing up subjects which have no bearing at all on the current discussion – yes, I agree, not nice. But neither of those situations apply in this particular case, do they?

I’m always interested in the dissonance between what we say, what we say we believe, and the ways we actually behave.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
Hi Kyyle - Stop and think about what you just said.  It implies that every day you begin your life all over again with a tabla rasa; that you respond to everyone as if you knew nothing about them.  Life (online and off) just doesn’t work that way.

Now, if you mean being unwilling to let go of some past personal conflicts with someone or bringing up subjects which have no bearing at all on the current discussion – yes, I agree, not nice.  But neither of those situations apply in this particular case, do they?

I’m always interested in the dissonance between what we say, what we say we believe, and the ways we actually behave.

So are you implying that people with a "literalist interpretation of the Bible" as a "bulwark for your moral views on some contentious social issues" can't have a sense of humor?

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
Hi Kyyle - Stop and think about what you just said.  It implies that every day you begin your life all over again with a tabla rasa; that you respond to everyone as if you knew nothing about them.  Life (online and off) just doesn’t work that way.

Now, if you mean being unwilling to let go of some past personal conflicts with someone or bringing up subjects which have no bearing at all on the current discussion – yes, I agree, not nice.  But neither of those situations apply in this particular case, do they?

But even then, it is impossible with this format to make any judgements. Plus, history is important. IMHO, you did not look back far enough. SoxforlifeinPA circa 2004 would have found a masturbation looking bell ringer very funny. PA circa 2005 would quote

The Bible & Masturbation

The best known of these is the story of Onan, who "spilled his seed" to avoid impregnating his dead brother's wife and so God had him killed. Religious authorities who oppose masturbation have interpreted "spilling his seed" to mean that Onan masturbated. But many who have studied the story academically think it makes more sense that "spilling his seed" refers to withdrawing from intercourse before ejaculating (coitus interruptus) rather than masturbating. God punished Onan for disobeying His law, not for masturbating.

There is a general tone in Biblical scripture, particularly in the letters of Saint Paul, that we were created by God and therefore belong to Him, so that everything we do should glorify God. Our bodies are temples of God and we should respect them as such, avoiding all sorts of immoral and impure excesses. Traditional religious teaching has interpreted these concepts to include masturbation. It holds that God created sex to continue our race, so God favors only heterosexual intercourse sanctified by marriage because that is what makes babies and thus continues the race. Any other sexual behavior, such as masturbation or homosexuality, would be sinful because it leads us away from behavior that God approves.

We all have faces we put on. We all grow and change.

Peace.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
so soxtalk can't have any more fun topics anymore?

every single god damn thread has to turn into a political/religous/other BS argument?

GMAFB

See, you're bring god into it :D

I wonder how his hand doesn't fly off and what exercises he does during the pre-season.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
so soxtalk can't have any more fun topics anymore?

every single god damn thread has to turn into a political/religous/other BS argument?

GMAFB

Since some people dont have any sense of humor I guess the rest of us are not supposed to have one either.

:rolly