Eddie Guererro Passes Away

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Is he still wrestling??  Good ol' WCW.

I'm 99% sure Saturn isn't wrestling anymore. I think he had the neck fusion surgery that sidelined him then he was severly injured saving some woman from a robbery or the like.

He's recovered now, but I don't think he's wrestling anymore. He was never the same after he left Kronus behind in ECW and the Eliminators broke up

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Nov 13, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Back in 2000, i went to Raw with some friends at the Rosemont Horizon; afterwards we went to Bennigans on Cumberland.  We were just about to leave, and in walked Guererro, Dean Milenko, Chris Beniot and the other guy (i don't recall his name). 

We asked for a group picture, but only Guerrero and Beniot agreed to take part.

Anyways, I stopped watching the WWF when it became the WWE; and although I was never a big fan of Guerrero, I always appreciated the fact that he took the picture with us.

RIP Eddie.

I remember when Saturn, Milenko, Guerrero and Benoit all switched to the WWE. The monday night wars hit their pinnacle at that time, and these guys were a huge part of it. The WCW stole all of the old stars from WWE, and the WWE turned around and stole Jericho and company one by one. Too bad there isnt really a viable wrestling program that can rise up and actually go toe to toe with Vince McMahon.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
I remember when Saturn, Milenko, Guerrero and Benoit all switched to the WWE.  The monday night wars hit their pinnacle at that time, and these guys were a huge part of it.  The WCW stole all of the old stars from WWE, and the WWE turned around and stole Jericho and company one by one.  Too bad there isnt really a viable wrestling program that can rise up and actually go toe to toe with Vince McMahon.

TNA could possibly be on the way to being that legit contender. They concentrate more on the actual matches and feuds and they're not trying to be a soap opera/sitcom. They have some decent up-and-comers like AJ Styles, Monty Brown and Team Canada.

They've been picking up the right people when they leave/get released from WWE, such as Rhino, Christian, Gail Kim and Team 3D ( The Dudley Boyz ). With a good push from Spike TV and a little luck ( and a LOT fewer title reigns for Triple J aka Jeff Jarrett ), TNA could be what wCw was always too stupid, hokey and dollar-foolish to be.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
TNA could possibly be on the way to being that legit contender. They concentrate more on the actual matches and feuds and they're not trying to be a soap opera/sitcom. They have some decent up-and-comers like AJ Styles, Monty Brown and Team Canada.

They've been picking up the right people when they leave/get released from WWE, such as Rhino, Christian, Gail Kim and Team 3D ( The Dudley Boyz ). With a good push from Spike TV and a little luck ( and a LOT fewer title reigns for Triple J aka Jeff Jarrett ), TNA could be what wCw was always too stupid, hokey and dollar-foolish to be.

A friend of mine told me I had to see this match between AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher Daniels, I watched it and my god it was amazing. Haven't watched WWF in years and havent watched wrestling at all probably since WCW started to suck but that match was unreal.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
A friend of mine told me I had to see this match between AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher  Daniels, I watched it and my god it was amazing.  Haven't watched WWF in years and havent watched wrestling at all probably since WCW started to suck but that match was unreal.

They usually have a match of that approximate quality on every PPV.

A few too many matches ( especially the Ultimate X matches ) turn into clusterf*** spotfests, but they've gotten better lately at developing storylines to build those matches around. Another guy who's pretty incredible to watch is Sonjay Dutt, he has put on some entertaining matches with Daniels and Styles as well.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)

A few too many matches ( especially the Ultimate X matches ) turn into clusterf*** spotfests, but they've gotten better lately at developing storylines to build those matches around. Another guy who's pretty incredible to watch is Sonjay Dutt, he has put on some entertaining matches with Daniels and Styles as well.

Competition makes for a better product in wrestling. Vince McMahon is always at his best when his back is against the wall, IMO. Hopefully TNA forces his hand, because the WWE has gotten away from wrestling way too much lately, and is focusing too much on the drama.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
A friend of mine told me I had to see this match between AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Christopher  Daniels, I watched it and my god it was amazing.  Haven't watched WWF in years and havent watched wrestling at all probably since WCW started to suck but that match was unreal.

The match at Unbreakable was incredible, one of the best matches of the year, alogn with a few Ring of Honor matches.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)

Dutt is incredible and has improved so much since coming back from Japan in the summer, Dutt is one fo the guys(Sabin and Bently included) that could really stp it up when it is time to move Daniels and Styles into the heavyweight division, and judging from the matches that TNA is featuring Dutt in he is getting groomed to become the next X superstar.

But the problem of course for TNA, like you mentioned, is the fact that they have the talent in the X Division(Right now I consider it the best division in America, Joe, Styles, Daniels, Bently, Sabin Dutt, Strong, Aries, Petey) but what can they do with it storyline wise. They can put on all the matches they want but they need to develop the characters of Sabin, Dutt ETC. Hopefully after last night's Genesis, the X storyline that they have created wtih Joe/Daniels/Styles will get the ball rolling on major X Storylines.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
A little off topic, but a few of my friends went to a Monday Night Raw last year when it came to Boston, and we all agree that the best showman is still HBK.  The guy can just plain put on a show.

Yes he can, and he seems to have matured A BIT when it comes to jobbing/putting over younger guys. He can still throw a colossal tantrum when the mood strikes, but he seems far less likely to "search for his smile" or "take his ball abd go home" than he was in his younger days.

But this is one of the things they're going to miss about Eddie. He was willing to look a little bad to advance a feud, and he was very giving to younger guys, from everything I've read about him. I never knew anything about him personally other than what has been reported or rumored, but the reaction I've read from "the boys" shows that Eddie was loved backstage.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)

i watched a repeat late one night of TNA's broadcast and AJ Styles while a good wrestler, could very well be the worst on-mic persona i've ever seen in my life.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
i watched a repeat late one night of TNA's broadcast and AJ Styles while a good wrestler, could very well be the worst on-mic persona i've ever seen in my life.

Hold on just one minute!!!

Before you make a statement like that, I submit to you THIS videotape:

http://www.nwacyberspace.com/v2/index.php?...id=40&Itemid=74

Enjoy.....I know I did..... :lol:

I dont know if any of you watched RAW last night, but it was pretty sad. The storylines were pretty much thrown out the window, and everyone just wrestled. Everyone also had an Eddy Guerrero T-shirt on and a EG armband. There were interviews of all of his closest friends(Batista, Benoit, Rey, etc) and it was really sad. Batista cried like a little kid, I was honestly surprised. On a tremendously dissapointing note, Triple H and Stephanie McMahon read the same prepared statement, and came off sounding less than genuine(surprise, surprise)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
I dont know if any of you watched RAW last night, but it was pretty sad.  The storylines were pretty much thrown out the window, and everyone just wrestled.  Everyone also had an Eddy Guerrero T-shirt on and a EG armband.  There were interviews of all of his closest friends(Batista, Benoit, Rey, etc) and it was really sad.  Batista cried like a little kid, I was honestly surprised.  On a tremendously dissapointing note, Triple H and Stephanie McMahon read the same prepared statement, and came off sounding less than genuine(surprise, surprise)

Yeah, it was pretty tough to watch. I expected Benoit, Rey and Chavo to have a tough time, and even Big Show since he seems to be the emotional type, but Batista breaking down surprised me a bit.

Smackdown was taped on Sunday night too, so that show will also be a tribute to Eddie.

Triple H's "tribute" kinda bugged me. He seemed to be very fake, and had no personal recollections. Just the standard "triumphing over his demons" thing, no anecdotes of his own interaction with Eddie. At least Stephanie seemed to feel for Eddie's wife and kids.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
Yeah, it was pretty tough to watch. I expected Benoit, Rey and Chavo to have a tough time, and even Big Show since he seems to be the emotional type, but Batista breaking down surprised me a bit.

Smackdown was taped on Sunday night too, so that show will also be a tribute to Eddie.

Triple H's "tribute" kinda bugged me. He seemed to be very fake, and had no personal recollections. Just the standard "triumphing over his demons" thing, no anecdotes of his own interaction with Eddie. At least Stephanie seemed to feel for Eddie's wife and kids.

Triple H and Stephanie said the same thing, "Eddie could make you laugh, he could make you cry, he could make you mad at him the next minute, and he would do it all with a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face".

Verbatim. It really pissed me off. Triple H definitely looked like he was manufacturing some tears.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)

Seeing Batista crying like that, I was wondering if he was crying more for himself. You know, thinking maybe he might be the next guy to go because of steroids.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Seeing Batista crying like that, I was wondering if he was crying more for himself.  You know, thinking maybe he might be the next guy to go because of steroids.

That's an interesting take, but I didn't see it that way.

Batista had recently been working with Eddie in an angle, so he'd been spending a lot of time with him. I'm sure they became friends and that's why I think Dave was crying. It seemed very genuine to me.

EDITED to add that if I had to choose anyone in a Pro Wrestling Steroids Dead Pool, my choice would be Scott Steiner.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
That's an interesting take, but I didn't see it that way.

Batista had recently been working with Eddie in an angle, so he'd been spending a lot of time with him. I'm sure they became friends and that's why I think Dave was crying. It seemed very genuine to me.

EDITED to add that if I had to choose anyone in a Pro Wrestling Steroids Dead Pool, my choice would be Scott Steiner.

Steiner has my vote as well. A friend told me that Triple H was no more than a cruiserweight when he first came to the WWE, and bulked up considerably and suspiciously.

Batista was a fulltime bodybuilder and bouncer before he was a wrestler, so it isnt a stretch to say that he once took steroids, but I really dont think he does now. Batista also didnt have a period where he jumped up a class like Guerrero did, he was always big in the WWE. Guerrero seemed to go from Cruiserweight in the WCW to Heavyweight in the WWE overnight.