Thanksgiving dinner plans?

Heads22

Thanksgiving is always interesting for me as my parents are divorced and usually I'll switch off years on who's family I spend the holiday with. The problem is neither I or my parents usually remember who I was with last year. So to answer the question I have no clue what I'm doing this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
Thanksgiving is always interesting for me as my parents are divorced and usually I'll switch off years on who's family I spend the holiday with.  The problem is neither I or my parents usually remember who I was with last year.  So to answer the question I have no clue what I'm doing this year.

I smell a coin flip!!!

:D

I'll be at the Mom-In-Law's this year. My wife's family lives in The Land Of Cheese And Beer, so we alternate where we spend each Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year it's Thanksgiving up there and Christmas down here.

A quiet but fun T-Day at home.

Last year at Christmas I discovered the art of brine-soaking and then smoke grilling the turkey, so we will probably do that over the traditional oven method or the all teh rage s*** kicker deep-fryer method. I like all three though, so maybe we need to cook three small birds instead of one huge one.

YUMM.

For the last 15 or so years, I have cooked for friends who, like me, have no family in town. We have WAY too much food, owing to the fact that someone always wants to try a new turkey receipe every year (like Flaxx's brine and grill or deep frying it), but not wanting to give up a roasted bird. We drink a lot of wine and end up watching the Egg Bowl, which should be really pathetic this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Deep frying the turkey is the only way to go.  Last year I cajun-rubbed it, this year im going to just fill it up with injections of broth and marinade then deep fry that puppy.  Its the only way to go.

^^^^^^

:notworthy :notworthy

In-laws are easy.

Miss PA's siblings will be in town. That's the hard part.

She's the youngest and closest to marriage. So her older bro and older sister have a major case of green envy.

good food is always something to look for. Her mom is a good cook. PA dutch food = passing out early

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Since i have a girlfriend now this Thanksgiving will be a little different than years past, where i just go to the in-laws for the duration of the day.  We're planning on attending both, or as she calls it, "pulling the old married couple" routine.

That routine works perfect for us. My wife's parents like to eat early in the day so we go over there first. Then we head over to my parents house, eat again and sit and play cards all night long.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Deep frying the turkey is the only way to go.  Last year I cajun-rubbed it, this year im going to just fill it up with injections of broth and marinade then deep fry that puppy.  Its the only way to go.

i've been trying to convince my parents/extended family to try this for years now.

No dice.

As for me, we always celebrate thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family in Itasca. Nothing different this year

The families are coming to our house this year. The in-laws-to-be are flying in Tuesday and staying until the following Tuesday...with us.

My mom will be here Tues.-Sat.

My dad will be here Wed.-Sat.

Although the idea was mine...I can't believe the in-laws-to-be are staying for A WEEK. Boy, what a moron I am.

I LOVE Thanksgiving. I get to eat two dinners. My family's, then her family's. Plus, I get to see my sister and her family who I see twice a year, who will be visiting from Philly.

Then, it's Turkey and Potatoes for a week. :D

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
That routine works perfect for us. My wife's parents like to eat early in the day so we go over there first. Then we head over to my parents house, eat again and sit and play cards all night long.

Yeah, then you spend the rest of the weekend on the tredmill working off the double dose of turkey and stuffing.

:D