A-Rod AL MVP

bjm676

Personally, Ortiz deserved it more.

-Rod named American League MVP

11/14/2005 2:00 PM ET

By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez may not yet have any World Series rings to show for his remarkable career, but the Yankees' third baseman picked up his second American League Most Valuable Player Award on Monday.

Rodriguez beat out David Ortiz, Boston's larger-than-life designated hitter, who finished a close second in the vote. Rodriguez earned 16 first-place votes and 331 points, while Ortiz received 11 first-place votes and 307 points.

Los Angeles' Vladimir Guerrero received the other first-place vote, finishing third. Boston's Manny Ramirez and Cleveland's Travis Hafner rounded out the top five.

Rodriguez got 11 second-place votes and one third, while Ortiz was listed second on 17 ballots.

A-Rod's numbers were hard to argue with: a .321 average, 130 RBIs and an AL-leading 48 home runs. Considering Ortiz's final stats (.299-47-148), a case could have been made for either candidate, but Rodriguez's stellar play at third base likely pushed him over the top, as Ortiz's status as a DH hurt him with some voters.

Votes were cast before the postseason, which was good news for both A-Rod and Big Papi, who may have watched Chicago's Paul Konerko vault himself to the top in that scenario. Rodriguez went 2-for-15 in the Yankees' ALDS loss to the Angels, while Ortiz had just one RBI as the Red Sox were swept out of the playoffs by the White Sox in the opening round.

The fact that the Yankees overtook the Red Sox to win their eighth consecutive AL East title probably didn't hurt Rodriguez, either. In the clincher, which came on the penultimate day of the regular season, A-Rod went 4-for-5 with a home run in the Yankees' 8-4 victory at Fenway Park.

A-Rod ranked in the top five in the AL in homers (first), RBIs (fourth), batting average (second), runs (first), slugging percentage (first), OPS (first), on-base percentage (second) and walks (third). He even added 21 stolen bases, which was ninth best in the league.

Rodriguez's award is the 19th in Yankees history, the most of any franchise. He is the first Yankee to win the MVP Award since Don Mattingly captured it in 1985. Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra and Mickey Mantle won three MVPs apiece, while Roger Maris won two. Other Yankees winners were Lou Gehrig, Joe Gordon, Spud Chandler, Phil Rizzuto, Elston Howard and Thurman Munson.

Rodriguez became the 23rd multiple MVP winner and only the fourth to win at two positions and with two clubs. He was a shortstop with the Rangers when he was the AL MVP in 2003.

Rodriguez has also been the runner-up twice, in 2002 with Texas to Oakland's Miguel Tejada and in 1996 with Seattle to Texas' Juan Gonzalez.

Ortiz's supporters pointed to his numbers in "close and late" situations, which are defined by at-bats in the seventh inning or later with the team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.

In 78 such at-bats, Ortiz hit .346 (27-for-78) with 11 home runs, 33 RBIs and a .447 on-base percentage. But A-Rod posted respectable numbers in those situations, too, hitting .293 (22-for-75) with four home runs, 12 RBIs and a .418 on-base percentage.

Rodriguez, who took a lot of heat in 2004 for hitting just .248 with runners in scoring position -- including a .206 mark with RISP and two outs -- made up for it this season. With runners in scoring position, Rodriguez hit .290, including a .302 average with two outs.

Rodriguez, who set an AL mark for most home runs by a third baseman, also set a new club standard for right-handed hitters with his 48 homers, breaking DiMaggio's 68-year-old mark of 47. DiMaggio's 1937 season had been the only one in which a right-handed hitter hit more than 40 home runs for the Bombers.

Of those 48 long balls, 26 of them came at Yankee Stadium, as A-Rod shattered the previous team mark of 19 home runs hit by a right-hander in the Bronx. The mark had been held by DiMaggio ('37) and Gary Sheffield (2004).

Rodriguez also became the youngest player in baseball history to reach 400 home runs, hitting his milestone shot on June 8 in Milwaukee. Rodriguez hit 409 homers before his 30th birthday, eclipsing the mark of his former teammate, Ken Griffey Jr., who hit 398 homers before turning 30.

2005 AL MVP Award

Voting results ¬

Player, Club 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th Points

Alex Rodriguez, NYY 16 11 1              331

David Ortiz, BOS 11 17                307

Vladimir Guerrero, LAA 1  9 8 7 1 1 1    196

Manny Ramirez, BOS    9 1 6 2 6 2  1 156

Travis Hafner, CLE    5 6 4 4 3 3 2  151

Paul Konerko, CWS    2 4 6 5 1 3 5  128

Mark Teixeira, TEX    1 5  3 7 4 2 4 106

Gary Sheffield, NYY      3 2 6 2 2 3 1 84

Mariano Rivera, NYY    1 1 1 3 3 1 3 2 59

Derek Jeter, NYY        1  3 1 1  23

Michael Young, TEX          2  2 1 2 20

Scott Podsednik, CWS        1 1  1  1 15

Johnny Damon, BOS            1 1 2 1 12

Hideki Matsui, NYY              2 1  8

Richie Sexson, SEA              2  1 7

Miguel Tejada, BAL                2 3 7

Chone Figgins, LAA                1 4 6

Victor Martinez, CLE          1        5

Jason Giambi, NYY              1 1  5

Brian Roberts, BAL              1  2 5

Jason Varitek, BOS            1      4

Eric Chavez, OAK                1 2 4

Huston Street, OAK              1    3

Bartolo Colon, LAA                1 1 3

Grady Sizemore, CLE                1 1 3

Bob Wickman, CLE                1  2

Jorge Cantu, TB                  1 1

Jose Contreras, CWS                  1 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a buddy of mines thoughts that i thought i should share for arguments sake:

okay, here's what i don't understand. there were 28 voters. ortiz got 11 first-place votes and 17 for second place.

for weeks now, all we've heard is that papi being a dh works against him and that a dh shouldn't be the mvp ...

... but ...

if writers really feel that way, WHY do they vote for him at all? if a dh shouldn't win the mvp, why should he finish second?

wouldn't these self-styled traditionalist voters be truer to their holier-than-thou ethics if they left ortiz off the ballot altogether?

Jeter on 1st. 0 outs, bottom 9th inning, game 5, ALDS, Angels up by 1.

ARod GIDP.

He can have all the MVP awards he wants, but that ground ball made more of a difference in their season than every other home run, single, double, triple, RBI, and walk he had this season combined.

If Ortiz could have played the field he would have won.

Konerko's winning this thing next year.

How did Ortiz earn it more.....

A-Rod had a higher avg, more runs, more HR's even if its only 1, he stole 20 bases, and he had a higher OBP... and even though they were close higher SLG and OPS.

The only stat Ortiz beat A-Rod in is RBI's, everything else A-Rod is ahead.... so tell me how did Ortiz get shafted...

At the end of the day, its "Most Valuable Player", not "Best Player". If we want Best Player, we can just look at the stats.

I'd argue that Ortiz was more valuable to the Red Sox than A-Rod was to the Yankees. But I'm not about to waste digital breath defending a member of the AL team I hate the most.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Arod >>> Ortiz.  Lets not forget that Arod plays gold glove defense (even if he didn't win the award).

Are you kidding me? This year, he played non-terrible, slighly above average defense. He was not a gold glove defender. He has a long way to go before he deserves to have those words said about him. Just in terms of fielding the ball, Crede and Chavez are far ahead of ARod.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Arod >>> Ortiz.  Lets not forget that Arod plays gold glove defense (even if he didn't win the award).

explain how he played gold glove defense? you seem to be judging on statistics alone offensively, but when it comes to defense and the fact that Rodriguez was the worst regular American League third baseman you completely ignore it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
explain how he played gold glove defense?  you seem to be judging on statistics alone offensively, but when it comes to defense and the fact that Rodriguez was the worst regular American League third baseman you completely ignore it.

Id say 2nd worse :P.... anyways he was better than Ortiz in all offensive categories except RBI's so I think he deserves it more even w/out the defense factor.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
Id say 2nd worse  :P.... anyways he was better than Ortiz in all offensive categories except RBI's so I think he deserves it more even w/out the defense factor.

well thats where the real argument should be and i'm not throwing your opinion out the window, i just tend to value what someone does in close and late situations more than you do, and as far as Ortiz goes there isn't anyone else i'd want at the plate in the bottom of the ninth with two outs down by one.

also, as a Red Sox fan, watching him on a daily basis, he's my MVP as a Konerko is to White Sox fans.