Love him or hate him....

Allsox

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
If you have the payroll to afford him like the Yankees do, he's worth it.  I would love to have him on the Sox but other areas of our team would suffer due to his $25 million salary.

Think about this though. The Yankees pay him about 18 or so right with the Rangers picking up the remaining 7? A-rod at 18 compared to Paulie at 14 is a laughable landslide no offense to Paulie

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
I thought it was strange to see him on the field with all the Latino players before that WS game...dude...weren't you born in NYC?!?...then he's gonna go play for who at the World Games (or whatever the hell it's called).

Atleast he showed up, unlike Manny or Vlad. Players as talented as Bonds and A-Rod, who play both sides of the ball hard...I'm willing to put up with any of their s***. A Rod just seems like a guy everyone hates, not because of anything he really did explicitly but because he comes off as fake. That might be true, and if I had to be friends with him...I wouldn't like him...but as a baseball player I think he is a joy to watch.

I just think I'm lucky to get to sit down and watch Bonds & ARod play. I'm sure in 50-80 yrs, people will wish they could have done the same (just as we do with Ruth & Williams).

I think A-Rod is bush league. I think the play against the sox when he let the ball hit him was bush and I think when he tried slapping the ball out of the guys glove was bush. Most players don't even think to do s*** like that. It isn't cause they aren't savvy, it's because it's f***in lame.

He's a great talent...one of the best ever...but those plays totally changed my opinion of him.

QUOTE(zach61 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
It's not the contract that I dislike him for. It's the fact that he went to the Rangers for the money and then complains about not winning and saying he never just went there for the money. If the Rangers fit his needs and it was for the money, then why was he whining after a few yrs? He went where he wanted and got what he wanted and then changed his mind and the yanks were able to bail him out. At the very least, he should have come out and said he went to the highest bidder instead of blowing smoke up our asses and then expect us to feel sorry for him cause the rangers sucked.

]

such a good argument. everyone has a right to take all the money they can and thats why s***ting on boras is such a stupid thing to do. his job is to get his clients the most money possible and thats what he does. if you dont like it because you think it cripples the teams payroll, b**** at the player.

but if you want to take the most money. dont lie. dont tell us the rangers are good or that you like the schools. have the balls to say you want the money. you have to respect a person looking out for their economic interests if they are truthful about it (although again you should be pissed if its a contract that cripples a team for an extended period)

QUOTE(zach61 @ Nov 14, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
It's not the contract that I dislike him for. It's the fact that he went to the Rangers for the money and then complains about not winning and saying he never just went there for the money. If the Rangers fit his needs and it was for the money, then why was he whining after a few yrs? He went where he wanted and got what he wanted and then changed his mind and the yanks were able to bail him out. At the very least, he should have come out and said he went to the highest bidder instead of blowing smoke up our asses and then expect us to feel sorry for him cause the rangers sucked.

The Rangers expected higher attendance, and expected to raise the payroll even higher and attract more free agents. To that end, they promised A-Rod certain things that would make the team more competitive. The attendance did not spike enough, the Rangers were not able to attract more free agents, and wanted out of the contract they offered as much as A-Rod wanted to leave.

Now imagine if players didn't care about the money. I just want to win. Get me on the Yankees or Braves at any cost. What does that do to the competitive balance in baseball? To follow your logic, every free agent in baseball should be kicking themselves for not signing with the Sox for any price.

And as far as going to the highest bidder, how much of a difference is there between the Rangers, Mariners, and Pirates? What the hell else are you going to judge it on? Mr. Owner, I am looking over your offer and please reduce it by $4,000,000 per year and buy another player.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
The Rangers expected higher attendance, and expected to raise the payroll even higher and attract more free agents. To that end, they promised A-Rod certain things that would make the team more competitive. The attendance did not spike enough, the Rangers were not able to attract more free agents, and wanted out of the contract they offered as much as A-Rod wanted to leave.

Now imagine if players didn't care about the money. I just want to win. Get me on the Yankees or Braves at any cost. What does that do to the competitive balance in baseball? To follow your logic, every free agent in baseball should be kicking themselves for not signing with the Sox for any price.

And as far as going to the highest bidder, how much of a difference is there between the Rangers, Mariners, and Pirates? What the hell else are you going to judge it on? Mr. Owner, I am looking over your offer and please reduce it by $4,000,000 per year and buy another player.

Then he shouldn't have signed for 10 yrs. He wanted the money and security, but then wanted out when things didn't work out the way he wanted. If the player can get the money, fine, get it, just don't complain about it later. If the Rangers were promising things, then A-Rod should have had that option to get out of it in the contract. Just don't give me the crap that you didn't do it for money. The money was the first part, not just going to the Rangers with some hope that they will compete soon. He tried to sell it to us that he wanted to go to a team with promise and it wasn't just about the money. I didn't believe it then and don't feel sorry for him now. It was all about the money when he went to the Rangers.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)

Thank God for people like Chipper Jones.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Thank God for people like Chipper Jones.

Well 2 be fair Jones is on the decline... this year his numbers were good but he missed a lot due to injury but last year he was pretty bad.... and unlike with A-Rod the Braves are his original team and after being with the organization for what 15 years there becomes a loyalty factor.