Cubs, Sox in pursuit of Scott Eyre

YASNY

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damaso Marte, your plane is boarding.

The bad thing about Eyre is that he's going to be way overpaid because he's the best lefty available. I'd rather just sign Mike Myers to a cheap contract and trade Marte.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

We can move this to the Free Agent Resource thread later.

I wouldn't mind Eyre in Marte's departure, but I honestly doubt we'll sign him. When his agent indicates he's "looking out for Scott's best interets," we know he really isn't looking beyond the most lucrative deal for his client. If Boston and New York are involved--as the article indicates--you can bet the Cubs will have to overpay. Let them. Then while they're at it, give Furcal and Giles 10-12 million for 4 years each. It will be fun when Prior, Zambrano, Lee, Barrett begin commanding high salaries.

Although I love how the Tribune suggests Cubs stand a better chance of obtaining Eyre because of his 'familiarity' with the National League. Yeah, I'd don't believe familiarity is exactly a trait which relievers embrace. Ask Shingo, wherever he is.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)
Plenty of teams are willing to give Eyre 3-years, $9 million.  With the big teams involved, he might get $4-5 million per year.  I doubt we get him and I agree Myers would be a solid alternative, but I would rather have Damaso than Myers.

I'd much rather have Myers at this point. You know exactly what you're getting from him and he'd be such a perfect fit here. I really want Myers here in 06.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 03:22 AM)
Although I love how the Tribune suggests Cubs stand a better chance of obtaining Eyre because of his 'familiarity' with the National League. Yeah, I'd don't believe familiarity is exactly a trait which relievers embrace. Ask Shingo, wherever he is.

How about being familiar with an organization you used to pitch with :bang

LOL.

Which Sox fan would have guess 7 years ago that in 2005 Bobby Howry and Scott Eyre would be two of the most sought after free agents on the market?

Eyre has had one great year, and I can't believe the commitment starts with 3 years.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
I'd much rather have Myers at this point.  You know exactly what you're getting from him and he'd be such a perfect fit here.  I really want Myers here in 06.

Im not really sold on myers either. Its hard to believe that we dont have ANYONE within our org that can step up and take over Marte's role. Cotts is already the left set up guy that Marte was a couple of years ago, is it really out of the question to break camp with someone from within who could eat a few LH innings.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 05:33 AM)
Is there a team NOT after Scott Eyre this off-season? I think he'll stick with his Southern California Roots, and re-sign with the Giants FWIW.

I saw a clipping somewhere about how all 30 teams called Eyre's agent...I think roto(qwerty)world. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Here it is

"Agent Tommy Tanzer said free agent Scott Eyre has drawn interest from all 30 teams.

"I've never seen anything like it in the whole time I've been doing this," Tanzer said. Once the teams realize that Eyre is likely to command at least $9 million over three years, expect a lot of them to drop out."

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I saw a clipping somewhere about how all 30 teams called Eyre's agent...I think roto(qwerty)world.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

On a side note...it's things like this which are why Neal Cotts has a very bright future as a lefty reliever and we shouldn't push him back into the starting rotation unless we have no other choice.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
On a side note...it's things like this which are why Neal Cotts has a very bright future as a lefty reliever and we shouldn't push him back into the starting rotation unless we have no other choice.

Agreed very much so

As it is, Cotts doesn't have the pitches necessary to move into the rotation. He has probably the sneakiest fastball of almost anyone in the majors, but aside from that, he doesn't have much. I think I'd much prefer Cotts in the pen for a long time now rather than back in the rotation.

According to ESPN 1000's update, Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs have made a "serious long-term offer" to Scott Eyre. The report said that both parties are committed to getting the deal done.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPG6QFPOHV1.DTL

"Eyre all but gone: Free-agent Reliever Scott Eyre, one of the most valuable members of the 2005 Giants, has decided he wants to pitch closer to his Florida home and has narrowed his choice to the Cubs, Cardinals, Astros and Braves, his representative said Wednesday night. Agent Tommy Tanzer expects to get Eyre a three-year deal worth at least $9 million."

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
According to ESPN 1000's update, Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs have made a "serious long-term offer" to Scott Eyre.  The report said that both parties are committed to getting the deal done.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPG6QFPOHV1.DTL

"Eyre all but gone: Free-agent Reliever Scott Eyre, one of the most valuable members of the 2005 Giants, has decided he wants to pitch closer to his Florida home and has narrowed his choice to the Cubs, Cardinals, Astros and Braves, his representative said Wednesday night. Agent Tommy Tanzer expects to get Eyre a three-year deal worth at least $9 million."

I feel a regression for Eyre is he goes to the cubs, another bust year for pitchers under that horrendous coaching staff. Then again, if this is Bruce Levin reporting, he probably hasnt even talked to the cubs yet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
I feel a regression for Eyre is he goes to the cubs, another bust year for pitchers under that horrendous coaching staff.  Then again, if this is Bruce Levin reporting, he probably hasnt even talked to the cubs yet.

Definately. See Hendry overpaying for Hawkins and Mike Remlinger.

Edited by santo=dorf

Scott Eyre has told the Giants he wants to pitch closer to his Florida home. He has narrowed his choice to the Cubs, Cardinals, Astros and Braves.

Obviously, he wants to stay in the NL. Consider the Cubs the favorites for his services. He might get a three-year deal similar to the one that Mike Remlinger just finished up. Nov. 17 - 3:46 pm et

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
According to ESPN 1000's update, Bruce Levine is reporting that the Cubs have made a "serious long-term offer" to Scott Eyre.  The report said that both parties are committed to getting the deal done.

Another irrational move by Hendry. They did the same thing with Mike Remlinger, he gave them one good year in 2003, then in 2004 he was injured and last year he was terrible. When you are desperate for bullpen arms, you make stupid decision. I think Will Ohman is better than Eyre and will have a better year than Eyre, not to mention Ohman is much younger. So, why don't the Cubs focus on Howry and someone else. 3 years for a 33 year old reliver who has had one good year is stupid.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Another irrational move by Hendry.  They did the same thing with Mike Remlinger, he gave them one good year in 2003, then in 2004 he was injured and last year he was terrible.  When you are desperate for bullpen arms, you make stupid decision.  I think Will Ohman is better than Eyre and will have a better year than Eyre, not to mention Ohman is much younger.  So, why don't the Cubs focus on Howry and someone else.  3 years for a 33 year old reliver who has had one good year is stupid.

^^^^ every word of this.

Scott Eyre had a good year at the absolute best time for himself.

He's gonna make a lot of money and then disappoint a lot of people.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
^^^^ every word of this.

Scott Eyre had a good year at the absolute best time for himself.

He's gonna make a lot of money and then disappoint a lot of people.

That's how free agency works. Players put up numbers out of the normal all the time, rape a team, then go back to therir old form. Happens year in year out... but next off-season sub par players will be raking in more than ever. The free agent market is gonna be f***ing loaded... it's extremely deep.

I wouldn't mind Eyre in Marte's departure, but I honestly doubt we'll sign him. When his agent indicates he's "looking out for Scott's best interets," we know he really isn't looking beyond the most lucrative deal for his client. If Boston and New York are involved--as the article indicates--you can bet the Cubs will have to overpay. Let them. Then while they're at it, give Furcal and Giles 10-12 million for 4 years each. It will be fun when Prior, Zambrano, Lee, Barrett begin commanding high salaries.

agreed. when you are talking about bang for buck, eyre is not where it's at. i would honestly stick with marte rather than throw big money that could contribute to getting us a heavy bat.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
Bruce Levine was right about something.  He is reporting on ESPN 1000 that the Cubs signed Scott Eyre to a 3 year, $11 million contract.  What a horrible contract.  :puke

Jim Hendry should be fired for giving him a contract like that. Eyre is good but no middle relief pitcher should be making that kind of money. Shows what Eyre values though. They overpayed for him.