Green Day's Bigotry

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
so Eminem can't say words like "f*****", but Green Day can refer to anyone who voted for GWB as a "redneck" and "idiot america".

what pisses me off so much is that Green Day have some how become rock icons and so cerebral.

I don't understand the agenda at all. It's so pick and choose.

redneck and idiot america refer to things that people did.

f****t refer to what people are. and unflatteringly at that.

Context makes a difference!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn that is seriously the best concert DVD I have ever seen.

Wow, those f***ers must put on a hell of a live show in person. One day I'll see them.

And the title of the CD/DVD is explained in the non-concert footage on the DVD.

When I went to the local Best Buy to pick this up, there were no al-Qaeda operatives or the Grand Dragon there encouraging me to purchase it....

QUOTE(Cali @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Damn that is seriously the best concert DVD I have ever seen.

Wow, those f***ers must put on a hell of a live show in person. One day I'll see them.

And the title of the CD/DVD is explained in the non-concert footage on the DVD.

When I went to the local Best Buy to pick this up, there were no al-Qaeda operatives or the Grand Dragon there encouraging me to purchase it....

The KKK and Al-Qaeda must have been out back having a smoke.... :D

If you get the chance, DO go to see them.

I've seen them twice, albeit a few years ago, and they do put on one hell of a show.

Although I've rarely felt older at a show - I felt like it was me, my friend, a guy with a bald spot and 3,000 13-to-19-year-olds.

:lol:

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I think that any word standing alone is simply a word. It's obvious that GD's usage of the word "Redneck" isn't the same kind of tongue in cheek that Jeff Foxworthy uses it as. If you can't see that, then you can follow your own instructions above.

Once again Cerbaho opens his mouth too quickly. It's sad that you hate christians so much, so blindly.

So you're saying n*****, f**, k*** or gook are in the same league as redneck or idiot? Words aren't just words, they have emotion, and in many cases hate behind them. k*** isn't a word, it's a derogatory slur with racism and hate attached to it. Does redneck have some sort of hate behind it? Sure it does, but it's not even close to racial and sexist slurs. I must have forgotten how Southern white males were persecuted throughout history in comparison to blacks, Jews, Irish and Asians.

And it's not sad that I find many Christians completely lacking in logic. A spade is a spade, and someone who ignorantly believes that some people go to hell for their sexual beliefs or their lack of prayer don't deserve my time.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
The KKK and Al-Qaeda must have been out back having a smoke.... :D

Although I've rarely felt older at a show - I felt like it was me, my friend, a guy with a bald spot and 3,000 13-to-19-year-olds.

:lol:

Why do I get the feeling tomorrow you will be changing your screen name to "Cool Mom". :ph34r:

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
So you're saying n*****, f**, k*** or gook are in the same league as redneck or idiot? Words aren't just words, they have emotion, and in many cases hate behind them. k*** isn't a word, it's a derogatory slur with racism and hate attached to it. Does redneck have some sort of hate behind it? Sure it does, but it's not even close to racial and sexist slurs. I must have forgotten how Southern white males were persecuted throughout history in comparison to blacks, Jews, Irish and Asians.

And it's not sad that I find many Christians completely lacking in logic. A spade is a spade, and someone who ignorantly believes that some people go to hell for their sexual beliefs or their lack of prayer don't deserve my time.

first of all... Spade n.

Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person. Irony is a funny thing. Next time before you use a cliched phrase, look it up.

secondly:

Words aren't just words, they have emotion, and in many cases hate behind them

That was exactly my point. Jeff Foxworthy calls people, including himself, "rednecks" for a laugh (and he's trying to make $$$). Billie Joe Armstrong calls people idiots and rednecks because I genuinely feel his words are filled with hate (and he's trying to make $$$)

thirdly:

k*** isn't a word
no, it IS a word... AND a slur.

we actually agree on this:

someone who ignorantly believes that some people go to hell for their sexual beliefs or their lack of prayer don't deserve my time.
so that's good. :cheers unfortunately, I feel that you wrongly lump any and every Christian in with your personal experience of christians you've encountered. I hope that we can all agree it's a bad idea to do that. I don't think that every white sox message board is owned by two hot for each other twenty somethings it'd be unfair for me to assume so :lol:

By the way:

Does redneck have some sort of hate behind it? Sure it does, but it's not even close to racial and sexist slurs.
so there are different levels of offensive slurs? that seems rather subjective, no? Who decides what's more offensive to some and not to others? offensive is offensive. there aren't positions of rank to offensive words.

I must have forgotten how Southern white males were persecuted throughout history in comparison to blacks, Jews, Irish and Asians.
ok, so then what's the threshold until it's not okay for southern white males to be persecuted? once 500,000 white southerners have died and been persecuted...THEN, we'll place "rednecks" on the racial slur protection list.

just think about your logic for a while dude. I'm not gonna flame. I just want you to explain it to me.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)

Conservatives, especially the Christian wing, have a real problem with the fact that it seems to be ok to bash Christians. Its ok to ridicule Christians about their faith, ok to ridicule those who preach family values and most of all its ok to ridicule those who think that certain things ( kids having kids, parents killing their unborn children, music that denigrates women while promoting violence against cops AND women, drug abuse.....etc...etc ) are wrong and should not be tolerated.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that those who believe in Old Testament fire and brimstone for "sinners" are an embarassment and constitute a small percentage of people of faith. However, the question that remains unanswered by the left is:

Why is it that in this tolerance obsessed society we live in that there seems to be no tolerance for people who hold traditional values dear?

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
I don't think that people are targeting traditional values......

Thats not true at all. Turn on your television and witness the assault first hand. Watch MTV for a half hour, watch a rap video, watch the latest installment of that stupid trading spouses show. Then I want you to watch what happens to anyone who stands up and says that stuff is wrong and see the reaction they get from the "mainstream" media. Watch how they are called, in no order, racist, sexist, intolerant, homophobic, pigs. Then you'll understand the point Im trying to make.

People of faith are constantly being labeled as intolerant and stupid for standing up for what they believe in. You saw it all throughout the last election cycle too. Anyone who read the bible, got within 50 feet of a church and voted for Bush was labeled as a fundamentalist zealot who was as stupid as they were firm in their beliefs. I really have a problem with the left calling Christian Conservatives "stupid" like that.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

BTW. PA was spot on with his thread title. Bigotry against Christians is the only bigotry that is tolerated in this country anymore and those who are the most guilty are those who preach tolerance of others the loudest. Someone gets on stage and sings about a bullet in the Koran and watch the left jump up and down screaming bloody murder.

The hypocrasy of it all is mind blowing.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
first of all... Spade n.

Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.  Irony is a funny thing. Next time before you use a cliched phrase, look it up.

I'd just like to say that the phrase he used is not racist in origin. Can't really get on his case for that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Can you list some of these traditional values? I just want to see where you are coming from...

Post 42 pretty well covered it. You want additional reference you can also look at the most horrible work of evil ever devised according to some..........The Ten Commandments.