Green Day's Bigotry

sox4lifeinPA

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
After reading all of this, I agree with Rex's statement that the far right and far left have so far hijacked the moderate stance that we ALL have a bad name for believeing ANYTHING anymore.

Jimmy Carter and Billy Graham are GREAT examples of where I wish the "extreme" positions were.  If that were the case, we'd be a lot better for it.  Both are very good men.

Bet you never thought you'd ever refer to Jimmy Carter as Great. :bang

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
Conservatives, especially the Christian wing, have a real problem with the fact that it seems to be ok to bash Christians.  Its ok to ridicule Christians about their faith, ok to ridicule those who preach family values and most of all its ok to ridicule those who think that certain things ( kids having kids, parents killing their unborn children, music that denigrates women while promoting violence against cops AND women, drug abuse.....etc...etc ) are wrong and should not be tolerated. 

Don't get me wrong.  I believe that those who believe in Old Testament fire and brimstone for "sinners" are an embarassment and constitute a small percentage of people of faith. However, the question that remains unanswered by the left is:

Why is it that in this tolerance obsessed society we live in that there seems to be no tolerance for people who hold traditional values dear?

I actually have several friends that are really conservative Christians. No pre-marital sex, no swearing, church every Sunday, volunteer, etc. And they TRULY TRULY TRULY act with love and Christian compassion to their neighbors.

They rarely if ever get any guff from the "lefties."

Who gets the guff? The "sinless" ones that throw the first stone. The ones would would rather tell you that you're going to hell before turning the other cheek.

Also, who here has ripped on SS2k5 for his religious beliefs? Or mreye for being Catholic? I'm pretty religious and I work in academia and I am NEVER taunted or mocked for it. Why? Because I am respectful of other people's beliefs, just liek the guys I mentioned early.

And they shall know we are Christians by our love. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Who gets the guff? The "sinless" ones that throw the first stone. The ones would would rather tell you that you're going to hell before turning the other cheek.

BINGO!

And that fishy thing on our cars. . .

IKBIC®

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
I actually have several friends that are really conservative Christians. No pre-marital sex, no swearing, church every Sunday, volunteer, etc.  And they TRULY TRULY TRULY act with love and Christian compassion to their neighbors.

Also, who here has ripped on SS2k5 for his religious beliefs? Or mreye for being Catholic? I'm pretty religious and I work in academia and I am NEVER taunted or mocked for it. Why? Because I am respectful of other people's beliefs, just liek the guys I mentioned early.

:notworthy :notworthy

Great post, Soxy.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Bet you never thought you'd ever refer to Jimmy Carter as Great.  :bang

:lol: Good point. Seriously, Jimmy Carter, post-presidency, has done more for our country then almost any other "ex-president". He's been brilliant when called upon. He's a great ambassador.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
:lol:  Good point.  Seriously, Jimmy Carter, post-presidency, has done more for our country then almost any other "ex-president".  He's been brilliant when called upon.  He's a great ambassador.

Bite your tongue. The X-Presidents KICK ASS!

0679783628.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Thank you for saying that. That is the message that gets lost in all of this. If any Christians read the words of Jesus Christ, THAT is the message right there. When they asked Jesus what the most important thing was, after love your God, it was love one another as I have loved you. If you live by that right there, none of the rest of that crap matters. For many it is the hardest tenet to live by, but it is clearly the most important. If you follow it, the rest of the noise wouldn't be happening.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 08:24 AM)
I also used that very justification as well.  The point is that it COULD be derived from racist remarks and it wouldn't shock me if that was the case.

Of course, they could have been talking about shovels.

You are exactly right.

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorc.htm

Several people have emailed me and questioned whether or not the phrase call a spade a spade is racist in origin. It is not. Spade is a derogatory term for a black person, but that is not the spade referred to in the phrase in question.

The phrase dates to at least 1542 and the spade in question is a shovel. The phrase simply means to speak directly, without euphemism. The British phrase to "call a spade a bloody shovel" is derived from this, not vice versa. This British phrase means the same, only it is more forceful.

The racist usage of spade dates from the 1920s and is American in origin. It probably derives from the card suit, as in black as the ace of spades.

Even though "call a spade a spade" is not racist in origin, it is probably best to avoid using it in situations where it could be misinterpreted. In fact, since it is so hackneyed it is probably best to avoid using it altogether. But that is a stylistic and not a racial reason.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Thank you for saying that.  That is the message that gets lost in all of this.  If any Christians read the words of Jesus Christ, THAT is the message right there.  When they asked Jesus what the most important thing was, after love your God, it was love one another as I have loved you.  If you live by that right there, none of the rest of that crap matters.    For many it is the hardest tenet to live by, but it is clearly the most important.  If you follow it, the rest of the noise wouldn't be happening.

.....hippie.....

:P :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Thank you for saying that.  That is the message that gets lost in all of this.  If any Christians read the words of Jesus Christ, THAT is the message right there.  When they asked Jesus what the most important thing was, after love your God, it was love one another as I have loved you.  If you live by that right there, none of the rest of that crap matters.    For many it is the hardest tenet to live by, but it is clearly the most important.  If you follow it, the rest of the noise wouldn't be happening.

The Apostle John was known to say in his later years of live "all you need is love."

(I swear I didn't make that up :lol: )'

by the way, this thread has turned out beautifully, IMO. Rex, Soxy, Nuke, Annette, Tex, and YOU! thanks for keeping things on track. (although I give out a special award to Gene Honda Civic for funniest near thread jack)

For me, I guess I need to say that I am just as pissed off at people like Rex and soxy were talking about as I am Green Day.

But as to what Nuke was saying, I think unfortunately both sides of this issue cause problems for the rest of Christians. I'd like to say that Falwell and Robertson only represent a small minority, but I have a feeling, just from my own limited perspective that there are a lot of sunday morning Christians than we'd like to count.

Life is made "difficult" by the yahoos who claim they're Christians and by the yahoos who encite prejudice against ALL christians because of those apparently representative vocal ones.

I thought this was interesting:

So you're saying n*****, f**, k*** or gook

One can type out k*** or gook and not the others?? They are all slurs. Just like people say dago or wop with no regard or they say white trash even. All of these are slurs, why do some carry more weight than others?

If I am speaking in reference to the word 'n*****'. Why can't I use it? Can I not even type those keystrokes together?? What the heck? If a person isn't using a word in a derogatory way why can't it be typed.

For the record, I'm not talking about the rules at soxtalk, I'm talking about society's rules in general. This is pretty much standard.

If just the sound of the word is offensive to hear, perhaps the african american community have some work to do.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
CC, you've said what I've said. I understand the rules here at soxtalk, but isn't it interesting that people think like Cerbaho and condone certain slurs while condemn others.

It's not very Christian like to judge others.. :nono

Yes.. going to hell :lolhitting

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Judge and condemn as you want to be judged and condemned...God also gave me a brain. (believe it or not, jackasses :lol: )

I'm definitely judged and condemned quite often here, but I ask for it. Just not from you steff.... :P

Would I ever do such a thing... chip, chip.. :P

Don't you go changin PA... I love ya just the waaaaaayy you are.. ;)

I can't believe you are picking on Green Day. How many of us can list at least 50 bands over the years that have produced controversial songs, violent songs, songs of warfare, songs of strife, songs of gang violence, songs of mob violence, etc?

Rock has a long history of being OUT THERE in political though & consciousness. Are you too young to remember Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Dio, Scorpions, U2, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Styx, YES, Rush, REO, Aerosmith, G&R, Motley Crue, etc, etc, etc.

Though I don't appreciate the excessive use of the N-word by many of today's rap artists I do respect their right to use it. I will never understand how this word went from being taboo to a term of endearment for some people. I can understand some people's need to remember their history of enslavement but they can't possibly think that wide-spread exposure of this word can remain confined to just their group. The more they use it the more it will grow in use beyond their group. Their term of endearment will just resort back to a purpose to denegrade another.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I can't believe you are picking on Green Day.  How many of us can list at least 50 bands over the years that have produced controversial songs, violent songs, songs of warfare, songs of strife, songs of gang violence, songs of mob violence, etc?

Rock has a long history of being OUT THERE in political though & consciousness.  Are you too young to remember Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Dio, Scorpions, U2, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Styx, YES, Rush, REO, Aerosmith, G&R, Motley Crue, etc, etc, etc. 

Though I don't appreciate the excessive use of the N-word by many of today's rap artists I do respect their right to use it.  I will never understand how this word went from being taboo to a term of endearment for some people.  I can understand some people's need to remember their history of enslavement but they can't possibly think that wide-spread exposure of this word can remain confined to just their group.  The more they use it the more it will grow in use beyond their group.  Their term of endearment will just resort back to a purpose to denegrade another.

You know Juggs, when I saw that you were the last response in this thread, I thought to myself "Here we go again". But I agree 100% with what you just said. :cheers

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Rock has a long history of being OUT THERE in political though & consciousness.  Are you too young to remember Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Dio, Scorpions, U2, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Styx, YES, Rush, REO, Aerosmith, G&R, Motley Crue, etc, etc, etc.

Agreed, Rock and controversy have been joind at the (swiveling) hips since the beginning.

But YES? I don't think John Anderson ever wrote a coherent lyric (not a knock). What was socially or politically incendiary in their catalog?

Now, I agree that putting out a double album that four song that were each an LP-side long was not a way to get radio airplay. But I never thought any of their music had much of a sociopolitical message.

I actually have several friends that are really conservative Christians. No pre-marital sex, no swearing, church every Sunday, volunteer, etc.  And they TRULY TRULY TRULY act with love and Christian compassion to their neighbors.

You hit the nail right on the head. Great post!

As for those of you who are complaining about Green Day's album title: Don't buy it. If it comes on the radio, change the station.