Counting on Wood to be healthy is "stupid"

RockRaines

Larry Rothschild is fed up with the excuses and the lack of foresight regarding recurring Cubs injury problems.

For the organization to count on Kerry Wood being fully healthy next spring, for instance, would be "stupid," the Cubs' pitching coach said.

One of the reasons Rothschild turned down an offer to move to the Detroit Tigers to be Jim Leyland's pitching coach is he wants to see his starters fulfill their potential under his watch.

"I don't like to use excuses," he said. "It's time for us to look at it that whoever is healthy and on the field needs to play the game right and play the game well. I don't know that that happened all the time last year.

"When you keep having to shift guys because of injuries, you don't always get the performances you want. Whoever is on the field, we need to play the game well. If we do, we will win games. Dusty [baker] is a big believer in fundamentals and we need to get to the point where we execute on the field day in and day out. Any excuses that are out there . . . it really doesn't matter."

The marquee members of the starting staff, Wood and Mark Prior, have been slowed by significant injuries over the last two seasons. Wood landed on the disabled list three times with arm and shoulder-related problems. He underwent surgery in September and said he is on schedule with his rehabilitation.

"I think, as an organization, we look at it that if Kerry comes back, when he comes back, it's going to be a bonus," Rothschild said. "We have to plan that he's not going to be back at any certain level we can predict.

"The surgery indicates that everything is very positive. But if we sit here and say we're going to depend on him going into spring training . . . it's just stupid on our part. I think we go in thinking we're going to build that staff as strong as we can. If Kerry is back, we're that much stronger. I believe he will be [back], but I'm not going to depend on it."

After Wood was sidelined and Prior went on the disabled list after being hit on the elbow with a line drive, the Cubs scrambled for starters and finished four games under .500.

"I would much prefer having a couple of extra guys going into camp than getting caught light," general manager Jim Hendry said. "The possibility of adding another starter . . . it would have to be the right fit

Since when does Dusty baker teach fundamentals?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
This proves Rothschild may be the smartest man in the Cubs organization.  That being said, why is he still there?

you haven't seen the larry/ronnie woo-woo video? frightening.

I didn't see it as ripping Wood.

I saw it as ONE GUY in the Cub organization realizing that Wood will probably never be fully healthy again.

As for why he stayed, well, don't forget that next year is the Cubs' year.....after all, Boston won it, then the White Sox won it, so it stands to reason..... :bang

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Yes, Ronnie Woo-Woo.  If there was capital punishment for being a Cubs fans, I vote that we start with Ronnie.

Well you have to admit, its pretty nice of the cubs organization to glorify a homeless crackhead.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
Well you have to admit, its pretty nice of the cubs organization to glorify a homeless crackhead.

I thought I was rough on Ronnie. Oh well, I guess it is proof that anybody can be a Cubs fan. Sox fans are a class above by far. Our most noted fan is not a crack head.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:11 AM)
Yes, Ronnie Woo-Woo.  If there was capital punishment for being a Cubs fans, I vote that we start with Ronnie.

Oh. Name is Ronnie Woo Woo. I saw his name on "The Heckler" website in the comments section. You should hear all the bad stuff he's talking about. He said that Garland really isn't all that good. I'm NOT gonna take that from him. :bang What kinda name is Ronniw Woo Woo. Sounds kinda cutsie. Like all the Cubbie names. Ronny Cedeno and Ronniw Woo Woo??? :finger

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
Wood will always be known for being the 20 K guy... The trib sold him to be the next Roger Clemens and he just didn't have it upstairs to get it done...

Poor mechanics and abuse by a high school coach didn't help either.