Pujols named NL MVP

Mplssoxfan

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Vlad is the best player in baseball.  Pujols doesn't have the arm and speed Vlad has.

Pujols doesn't need the arm...he possesses a good enough right arm to throw accross the diamond from 1B to 3B, he has versality, and can play both on all 4 corners, while still putting up ridiculous numbers.

And since when does Vlad have speed? A 40 for 60 campaign in stolen bases a couple years ago makes him fast? I guess Sosa's pretty fast then too.

Pujols is the best pure hitter in the game, and has an unbelievably smooth and powerful swing, where as Vlad just hacks and swings hard as hell. Pujols reminds me a lot of Thomas in his younger days in that it doesn't look like he's a guy that can ever get into a slump, he puts up a gawdy average, hits for a ton of power, and walks more often than he strikes out. There is no hole in his swing, and he is just fundamentally sound all around.

I'm not sure it's possible to convince anyone one way or another that Pujols is worse than Vlad. In fact, I'd say Pujols is the best player in the game by far.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Pujols doesn't need the arm...he possesses a good enough right arm to throw accross the diamond from 1B to 3B, he has versality, and can play both on all 4 corners, while still putting up ridiculous numbers.

And since when does Vlad have speed?  A 40 for 60 campaign in stolen bases a couple years ago makes him fast?  I guess Sosa's pretty fast then too.

Pujols is the best pure hitter in the game, and has an unbelievably smooth and powerful swing, where as Vlad just hacks and swings hard as hell.  Pujols reminds me a lot of Thomas in his younger days in that it doesn't look like he's a guy that can ever get into a slump, he puts up a gawdy average, hits for a ton of power, and walks more often than he strikes out.  There is no hole in his swing, and he is just fundamentally sound all around. 

I'm not sure it's possible to convince anyone one way or another that Pujols is worse than Vlad.  In fact, I'd say Pujols is the best player in the game by far.

Have you ever seen him play?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Have you ever seen him play?

Speed is overrated. Good baserunning skills are more important...and from what I have seen of Vlad, he's not the best baserunner in the world.

Besides that - if you're talking best all-around player, you're still probably looking in the wrong place. Beltran is the best all-around player in the game, I don't care that he got paid about $1 mill for each homer he hit this year. The guy can hit for a very solid average, has very good power, can walk and get on base, has speed up the ass and puts it to very good use, has very good range in the OF, and has a strong arm. I'll take either Pujols or Beltran before I take Vlad in both categories.

This is taking nothing away from Vlad - he's a very good player. He's just not Pujols.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Speed is overrated.  Good baserunning skills are more important...and from what I have seen of Vlad, he's not the best baserunner in the world.

Besides that - if you're talking best all-around player, you're still probably looking in the wrong place.  Beltran is the best all-around player in the game, I don't care that he got paid about $1 mill for each homer he hit this year.  The guy can hit for a very solid average, has very good power, can walk and get on base, has speed up the ass and puts it to very good use, has very good range in the OF, and has a strong arm.  I'll take either Pujols or Beltran before I take Vlad in both categories.

This is taking nothing away from Vlad - he's a very good player.  He's just not Pujols.

yes a guy who has a career .282 average is a great player. He hit .266 and last year he wasn't the reason Houston won the Wild Card. You know how great he was down the stretch: He had a stunning .235 Average in July, .257 in August, and .258 in September. He is the most overrated player in the game with the exception of Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
That he is better than Beltran.  He might not have the overall skills that Beltran does but he has produced consistently.  I was glad the Sox didn't try to sign him last off-season.

As I posted in another thread, Konerko and Beltran have been very similiar at the plate over the course of their careers. Konerko goes BA .279 OBP .349 SLG .488 vs. Beltran BA .282 OBP .350 SLG .479. OVer the last 7 years Konerko does average about 6 more HRs per year. Konerko also averages about 3 more RBI per season. However, Beltran scores 19 more runs per season so he does account for more of his teams runs. And the consistency argument is bulls***. Beltran has 5 100 RBI seasons in 7 years and one of those years that he didn't he only played in 98 games. So Konerko really isn't a whole lot better at the plate than Beltran. Add in the fact that Beltran is a better defender and is great on the basepaths and still tell me that Konerko is a better player than Beltran.

Lets not forget that Beltran also had one of the greatest postseason performances of all time last year.

If I was starting a team in baseball today, Pujols would be the player I'd choose to lead the team. Not a doubt in my mind about it either. Vlad could only dream of being the type of leader that Pujols is. Also, Pujols seems to play through a lot more injuries than Vlad does.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
I agree Pujols is great and probably the best player in the NL however that is not what this award is about.  It is about which player did the most for his team and IMHO Jones fits that category.  Nothing against Pujols.

So why didn't Konerko win it for the AL? He carried the White Sox offense to a World Series title..

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 09:27 PM)
i thought Hafner should've won it if the Indians did win the Wild Card.  However I thought Ortiz should've won it.

But that doesn't really answer my question. That just is who you think should have won it, not why Konerko didn't win it. (using your way of thinking for the MVP)