Prospect Smackdown: McCarthy vs. Baker

maggsmaggs

I think he underestimates how dominant BMac can be with that changeup too...but he's right on when he says Brandon needs to throw it more. God did that pitch destroy the Red Sox.

If he can add in something else with a speed somewhere between the fastball and the changeup/curveball, either just a 2 seamer or a cutter that he throws for an occasional strike, I don't know if anyone in baseball will be able to hit him (maybe Pujols).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
below that is some great ratings on our prospects.

Where are broadway and valido in his top 20? I think broadway would be ahead of lumsden on down and valido would be ahead of lopez. I like that antoin gray cracked the top 20 though.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Where are broadway and valido in his top 20?  I think broadway would be ahead of lumsden on down and valido would be ahead of lopez.  I like that antoin gray cracked the top 20 though.

I'm assuming he was reviewing the top 20 that he had at the start of the 2005 season, hence why Broadway wasn't on it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 15, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Ya, it must have been a review of his pre-season 2005 one and not his 2006 one.  If it was a new one I'd be worried.

Not having Valido on last year's list is an indictment enough, no? Borderline top 10 last year and he rated him behind Pedro, Ricks, Spidale, Gray, and Ulacia, all fringe prospects???? eeeek.

He can't use level of play as an excuse, either, having rated Hernandez at #6, overzealously, IMO.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Not having Valido on last year's list is an indictment enough, no?  Borderline top 10 last year and he rated him behind Pedro, Ricks, Spidale, Gray, and Ulacia, all fringe prospects????  eeeek.

He can't use level of play as an excuse, either, having rated Hernandez at #6, overzealously, IMO.

He wasn't the only one talking up Hernandez before the season though, right? IIRC, Phil Rogers as well as the guys at Baseball America liked him quite a bit...

Hernandez will start the year at Kanny I assume, right? I mean, eventually (he's only 19, though) he has to do something outside of Great Falls and Bristol.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
He wasn't the only one talking up Hernandez before the season though, right?  IIRC, Phil Rogers as well as the guys at Baseball America liked him quite a bit...

Hernandez will start the year at Kanny I assume, right?  I mean, eventually (he's only 19, though) he has to do something outside of Great Falls and Bristol.

I talked him up before any one of those guys and just about nobody had ever heard of him outside of the Sox scouting department prior to that in very early August last year. I just don't think it's responsible to put a kid that age, at the catching position, having only ever played at a rookie level, and that raw, in that position. I though he was borderline top 10 based on pure potential having seen him play in person several times in 2004. However, given these and other factors, I was more than reluctant to place him in a top ten. It's not fair to the kid to place that level of expectation on him at that point.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
I talked him up before any one of those guys and just about nobody had ever heard of him outside of the Sox scouting department prior to that in very early August last year.  I just don't think it's responsible to put a kid that age, at the catching position, having only ever played at a rookie level, and that raw, in that position.  I though he was borderline top 10 based on pure potential having seen him play in person several times in 2004.  However, given these and other factors, I was more than reluctant to place him in a top ten.  It's not fair to the kid to place that level of expectation on him at that point.

my bad , thought it was about Gio. :chair

Edited by Soxpranos