Mayor declares 'Julie Andrews Day' in Chicago

Mercy!

This is a certified ghey-only thread. Please, no lame wannabes or other trouble makers comin’ around talkin’ smack.

You say you didn’t know Ms Julie is a lesbian and gay icon? Then clearly you’ve breached the ghey-only perimeter fence on false pretenses. But speaking from the distaff side, I can swear she is. And it’s a little bit more than a Bea Arthur kind of thing, if you catch my drift, girlfriends. So my hat’s off to you, Mr. Mayor.

That’s all. There’s nothing kinky here. It’s all as pure and sweet as Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.

Mayor Daley declares 'Julie Andrews Day' in Chicago

November 15, 2005, 5:08 PM CST

Mary Poppins dropped by Chicago's City Hall on Tuesday.

Julie Andrews is in town with the national tour of the musical comedy "The Boy Friend," which is scheduled to run at the Chicago Theatre through Saturday.

Andrews is directing this version of the musical comedy, but in 1954, "The Boy Friend" was the show that first brought her to Broadway from England. She turned 19 the day after her Broadway debut.

Mayor Richard Daley proclaimed Tuesday "Julie Andrews Day" in the city, calling her an "entertainment legend."

Andrews, 70, gave the mayor copies for his grandchildren of several children's books she's written.

"I love your city, and I'm very proud to bring our show to your theater and hope to come back many, many times," she said.

After "The Boy Friend," Andrews went on to star on stage in "My Fair Lady" and "Camelot." In film, she received a best-actress Oscar for 1964's "Mary Poppins" and is also remembered as Maria von Trapp in 1965's "The Sound of Music."

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ll=chi-news-hed

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a gate crasher but I think I have all of you beat on this one.

I actually ponied up and bought the 2 disc 40th anniversary edition of the Sound of Music that just came out yesterday. I almost started a poll on SL&P about it yesterday to see if the concensus was that the puchase suggested I was less than a real man, too cool to worry about what anybody thinks, or somewhere in the middle.

My wife detests musicals and has already stated in no uncertain terms that she will NOT be watching it woth me this weekend.

OK, back to the ghey.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)

I actually ponied up and bought the 2 disc 40th anniversary edition of the Sound of Music that just came out yesterday.  I almost started a poll on SL&P about it yesterday to see if the concensus was that the puchase suggested I was less than a real man, too cool to worry about what anybody thinks, or somewhere in the middle.

My wife detests musicals and has already stated in no uncertain terms that she will NOT be watching it woth me this weekend.

OK, back to the ghey.

f**.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)

I actually ponied up and bought the 2 disc 40th anniversary edition of the Sound of Music that just came out yesterday.  I almost started a poll on SL&P about it yesterday to see if the concensus was that the puchase suggested I was less than a real man, too cool to worry about what anybody thinks, or somewhere in the middle.

OK, back to the ghey.

Jim, can I come over and watch it with you . . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
About half of my female friends in college were lesbians--does that count?

And, by the way, I love Julie Andrews. I think she's awesome. I am all for Julie Andrews day.

Trivia: Name the film featuring a scene with a bare-chested Julie Andrews.

Is there a reason there is masked spelling here.. ?

Could it be that the word "gay" has caused trouble here before so most of us have refrained from using it at the request and respect of the mods and admins who run this joint.. ?

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Is there a reason there is masked spelling here.. ?

Could it be that the word "gay" has caused trouble here before so most of us have refrained from using it at the request and respect of the mods and admins who run this joint.. ?

Who cares about history?

Then of course, there is this, also from Urban Dictionary:

An excuse for using the term "Gay" in a negative way, without seeming to be offensive. However, changing the spelling of the word doesn't change how offensive it can still be to homosexuals.

Person1: That's ghey!

Person2: Dude, don't use that word.

Person1: But I'm spelling it g-h-e-y.

Person2: Dude, that doesn't matter, it's still offensive.

Person1: Well, that's ghey!

Person2 thwacks Person1

:D