Mayor declares 'Julie Andrews Day' in Chicago

Mercy!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Then of course, there is this, also from Urban Dictionary:

An excuse for using the term "Gay" in a negative way, without seeming to be offensive. However, changing the spelling of the word doesn't change how offensive it can still be to homosexuals.

Person1: That's ghey!

Person2: Dude, don't use that word.

Person1: But I'm spelling it g-h-e-y.

Person2: Dude, that doesn't matter, it's still offensive.

Person1: Well, that's ghey!

Person2 thwacks Person1

:D

your jokes are ghey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
Then of course, there is this, also from Urban Dictionary:

An excuse for using the term "Gay" in a negative way, without seeming to be offensive. However, changing the spelling of the word doesn't change how offensive it can still be to homosexuals.

Person1: That's ghey!

Person2: Dude, don't use that word.

Person1: But I'm spelling it g-h-e-y.

Person2: Dude, that doesn't matter, it's still offensive.

Person1: Well, that's ghey!

Person2 thwacks Person1

:D

;)

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
This is a certified ghey-only thread.  Please, no lame wannabes or other trouble makers comin’ around talkin’ smack.

You say you didn’t know Ms Julie is a lesbian and gay icon?  Then clearly you’ve breached the ghey-only perimeter fence on false pretenses. But speaking from the distaff side, I can swear she is.  And it’s a little bit more than a Bea Arthur kind of thing, if you catch my drift, girlfriends.  So my hat’s off to you, Mr. Mayor.

Blake Edwards is a cover? Didnt know that.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
You don't have to be on the team to be an icon of the team.

See Babs, Liz Taylor, Sox4LifeinPa, and The Divine Miss M as examples.

There is clear indication she is on the team.. from the OP anyway.

I can accept if she were gay, its not a big deal. i just dont like when people in the public eye are labeled as being gay just because they dont have an obvious spouse, or because of their appearance, or just because the gay community appreciates their work. See Hilary Clinton, Oprah, Diane Keaton.

And I especially dont like when someone says "You may not think So and So is gay, but trust me she is. I know." I had a health class elective in my sophomore year of college, and a few members of the Gay, Lesbian and Bi club came to speak to us. It became a popularity contest based on who was gay and who wasnt, these people were actively trying to "recruit" people by listing off as many stars as they could in which there was doubt concerning their sexuality. It really bothered me.

I guess Mercy's opening statement struck me in the same way.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Icon.. I have no clue.. playing for the team is the question..?? :huh

I can understand Icon. But Andrews was clearly portrayed as a lesbian, and I just think that is something that certainly can not be proven.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Icon.. I have no clue.. playing for the team is the question..?? :huh

Not originally. Mercy's initial post only put Julie in the icon category, and not in the team clubhouse. Which is the same designation I would have given.

But I'm not on the team, despite owning the anniversary TOSM set.

I own Bette Midler albums as well. . . :unsure:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Not originally.  Mercy's initial post only put Julie in the icon category, and not in the team clubhouse.  Which is the same designation I would have given.

I own Bette Midler albums as well. . .  :unsure:

It's okay, I have indigo girls cds, ani difranco, tori amos. And I've seen ani in concert.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Not originally.  Mercy's initial post only put Julie in the icon category, and not in the team clubhouse. Which is the same designation I would have given.

Her initial post..

You say you didn’t know Ms Julie is a lesbian and gay icon? Then clearly you’ve breached the ghey-only perimeter fence on false pretenses. But speaking from the distaff side, I can swear she is. And it’s a little bit more than a Bea Arthur kind of thing, if you catch my drift, girlfriends. So my hat’s off to you, Mr. Mayor.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
I can understand Icon.  But Andrews was clearly portrayed as a lesbian, and I just think that is something that certainly can not be proven.

Where??

Reread the first post again. Yes, the post starting the thread I helped to hijack.

Julie = Not Gay

Julie = Gay Icon

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Not originally.  Mercy's initial post only put Julie in the icon category, and not in the team clubhouse.  Which is the same designation I would have given.

I think the interpretation can go either way

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Where??

Reread the first post again.  Yes, the post starting the thread I helped to hijack.

Julie = Not Gay

Julie = Gay Icon

I can see it being interpreted either way. I guess it is up to Mercy! to explain what she means.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Her initial post..

You say you didn’t know Ms Julie is a lesbian and gay icon? Then clearly you’ve breached the ghey-only perimeter fence on false pretenses. But speaking from the distaff side, I can swear she is. And it’s a little bit more than a Bea Arthur kind of thing, if you catch my drift, girlfriends. So my hat’s off to you, Mr. Mayor.

My interpretation (admittedly as one who didn't make the team call-up) was that Mercy was merely stating that from the female (= distaff) viewpoint in the gay community, Julie Andrews is near God-like, while poor Bea is, well... not.

Sorry, Rex. :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
My interpretation (admittedly as one who didn't make the team call-up) was that Mercy was merely stating that from the female (= distaff) viewpoint in the gay community, Julie Andrews is near God-like, while poor Bea is, well... not.

Sorry, Rex.  :)

Don't bother, he is probably rioting as we speak... :bang

Her role in the Sound of Music is legendary as the film is shown yearly & still remains a big event. She should be honored for that.

Having seen Chicken Little with my kids, the Pig is gay. They don't know that, but I do. Why? Because I've heard the Streisand reference so many times that's the first thing that comes to mind.

But to this day I still don't understand the connection! What if you are straight & happen to like some of her movies & her albums?