Mike Cameron

redandwhite

Good trade for Padres and Cameron, should this be true. the padres have been looking for an OF that can cover all of that ground in that park, and Cameron is definitely that type of player. Cameron didnt need to be playing in RF at Shea, he is a true CF.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
On the Padres' board, even though it's just the MLB board, they have a rumor that it's Nady for Cameron.  Sounds like the Mets would be getting the best of this one.

I think you're underestimating what a healthy Cameron can provide to a team with a big CF.

USSMariner noted that Mets pitchers gave up something like 25% fewer Xtra base hits at Shea in the first two years of Cameron compared to the previous years without cameron.

They also showed a 10-15% increase in Xtra base hits allowed by Seattle pitching in Cameron's absense. That's substacial.

Now weather Cameron is healthy or not is a big question, but otherwise, that's a great fit for SD.

I noted in my blog back in May(whenever it was that we played them) that they looked like the best team we had played until that point, and their lone deficiency seemed to be OF defense in that large stadium. Obviously they went on to show a whole lot more holes, but the OF defense was always at the forefront.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Wow.

Nady is >>>>>Cameron.

Cheaper too.

I hope that the Pads got something else besides just Cameron for him.

I'll give you cheaper, but why is he even > than Cameron, let alone multiple >>>?

Nady's entering his age 27 season. He hasn't accomplished s*** at the major league level. '05 was the first season when he was above leage average in OPS+, and that's harldy something to brag about from a 1B. -- Nady is living off of his prospect status and the inflated numbers he put up in the hitter friendly PCL. Meanwhile other real first baseman (like fellow 27 yo Nick Johson) were putting up solid numbers in the MLB.

Cameron meanwhile is one of the best defensive CFers in the game, (CF being the position where the most runs stand to be gained/lost on the defensive side of the ball) has power, speed, and a better batting eye than Nady.

Hmph...I find this most interesting in that Cameron's name has come up as one of the names in any possible Ramirez to the Mets deal...with Boston considering using him as mainly a defensive replacement for Damon in CF if Damon were to leave. In fact, the rumor over the summer was that Cameron was involved in the previous Manny to teh Mets talk.

If this is going down, then that makes me think the Mets may well be out of the Manny sweepstakes.

Oh, and given how big the S.D. outfield is, this makes a ton of sense from their perspective.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
As of a few weeks ago, the Pads we very concered in finding a CF that was great with the glove. Looks like they got him.

Like Milkman just said however, Nady does seem like a pretty prized player to give up, but we shall see.

Nady is a good player with potential, but he's yet to play everyday and a healthy Mike Cameron is one of the better offensive outfielders in the game. My guess is you'll soon see Ryan Klesko on his way out. In fact, Klesko may not be a bad backup plan if the Sox can't find any other DH's (he'll come cheap in terms of players given up and the Pads would probably eat a bit of his contract).

As far as I'm concerned, if Mike Cameron is healthy this is an outstanding trade by the Pads.

I realize that Klesko is a low risk/high reward guy, provided of course that San Diego pays his entire salary which they'll do unless they take back another bad contract. That said, I just don't know if he has much left, plus he's not been an AL guy which will provide a tough adjustment anyways. There are worse DH options out there but I tend to think of him more as a Plan D guy