JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
to quote the marx bothers, "you know what happens when you assume..you make an ass out of u and me."

i think there isnt much chance of that happening at all. I'll eat crow if im wrong, but i see us sticking with anderson. let the flubs have pierre.

He didn't say on the Southside. He said in Chicago. That could mean either place.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut tells me Guillen has already fingered Owens as the guy within the organization he would like to see in that two-hole. 

Guillen has said some very flattering things of Owens in the past--yes, they are on the internet, and no, I don't have them off-hand--and if getting exactly what he wants is any indication of how this will be handeled, I think we'll at least see Owens compete with Anderson despite his short length of time back in professional baseball.

That said, I don't know if that is really the answer.  Seeing as Chris Young looks to be the future at CF in this organization, they Sox very well might want to get a proven hitter MLB hitter in that spot for the next year or two--someone that can really handle the bat well enough to hit in that crucial two-hole in an offensive built like ours.

I would love Milton Bradley for center field and the 2-hole but there's no way Kenny adds a bad clubhouse guy like him. Although we did sign Pierzynski and he was supposedly a clubhouse cancer. But in Bradley's case, it's most likely true. But he's rumored to be available for next to nothing. The Dodgers may even decide to non-tender Bradley if no team offers them anything for him. This lineup would be sick though:

Podsednik LF

Bradley CF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

I couldn't really hold it against Kenny for not being interested in Bradley though. He's got a lot of skill but he's still a headcase.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I would love Milton Bradley for center field and the 2-hole but there's no way Kenny adds a bad clubhouse guy like him.  Although we did sign Pierzynski and he was supposedly a clubhouse cancer.  But in Bradley's case, it's most likely true.  But he's rumored to be available for next to nothing.  The Dodgers may even decide to non-tender Bradley if no team offers them anything for him.  This lineup would be sick though:

Podsednik  LF

Bradley  CF

Thome  DH

Konerko  1B

Dye  RF

Iguchi  2B

Pierzynski  C

Crede  3B

Uribe  SS

I couldn't really hold it against Kenny for not being interested in Bradley though.  He's got a lot of skill but he's still a headcase.

I think what would kill any chance of Bradley coming here is accusing of a player being racist(Jeff Kent). I don't think KW wants to come anywhere close to that drama. No doubt the guy is talented though. If it was just a case of him not getting along with some of his teammates, I could see Kenny taking a flyer, but that's not the case.

I know what we should do. Trade for Jose Guillen.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Did Hahn say that they could look within the organization for the #2 hitter that they desire or if it will be a free agent or a player from another team?  I'm just wondering if he is talking about Jerry Owens or making a trade for a guy like Juan Pierre.

Hahn said that it was a priority after getting PK signed. Inferred that it was from the outside.

He also said the #2 hitter didn't have to have speed.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
That sounds like Mueller.

Ya, I have long thought of Mueller has a good 2 hole hitter. I just don't know how that makes sense unless they really dont' think Crede has anything left and that his back injury is really serious.

My guess is the Sox will be quiet on the 2 hole front until the Konerko situation is resolved. Kenny is going to get that resolved before doing anything else.

From the Miami Herald.....

Texas expressed interest in arbitration-eligible CF Juan Pierre, who's very available. . . . We hear Luis Castillo -- due $5 million in 2006 -- will be unhappy if he's one of just a few veterans retained.

Ya, I have long thought of Mueller has a good 2 hole hitter.  I just don't know how that makes sense unless they really dont' think Crede has anything left and that his back injury is really serious. 

My guess is the Sox will be quiet on the 2 hole front until the Konerko situation is resolved.  Kenny is going to get that resolved before doing anything else.

i dont want mueller. how serious can this back injury be that crede has? did it happen during the season? if it did, why did he play so well in the playoffs? its just an unecessary move in my mind.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
i dont want mueller. how serious can this back injury be that crede has? did it happen during the season? if it did, why did he play so well in the playoffs? its just an unecessary move in my mind.

If the Sox go after Mueller, then that is a sign that Crede's back problem is more serious than any of us know. It may be an unnecessary move in your mind, but your mind doesn't have all the information Kenny Williams' has.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
If the Sox go after Mueller, then that is a sign that Crede's back problem is more serious than any of us know.  It may be an unnecessary move in your mind, but your mind doesn't have all the information Kenny Williams' has.

Something really bad must've happened in the last month since we won it all. Because I saw ZERO signs of a bad back from Crede in the post-season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Something really bad must've happened in the last month since we won it all.  Because I saw ZERO signs of a bad back from Crede in the post-season.

On the other hand...go look at his numbers from August...he was first diagnosed in July, and in August he had an OPS of .320 or so.

We don't know whether or not his back will heal...we don't know whether or not it might get worse, we don't know at what point the pain hurts his swing (and we don't know if the pain ever helps his swing by forcing him to keep his shoulder closed)

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
what is wrong with credes back? something about hernated discs?

Yes, two herniated discs in the lumbar spine. Sometimes these can be treated conservatively without surgery and there are no siginificant reoccurances. Without knowing the severity it's hard to tell. If it can be done without surgery, Hermy should be able to help him through it.

I think the we will know how severe it is by how much money they spend on a back up, as someone stated earlier.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
If the Sox go after Mueller, then that is a sign that Crede's back problem is more serious than any of us know.  It may be an unnecessary move in your mind, but your mind doesn't have all the information Kenny Williams' has.

Well Put.

I get the feeling Ozzie is in touch with people around MLB a lot more than the average analyst or fan realizes. I think he knew that Loria was gonna hold a fire sale. That's why I think he was up front well before any action in saying he wants a new #2 hitter.

If Loria is serious about fielding a team under $20M next year it won't cost us Cotts or even a starter to get Pierre. What Ozzie expects from Pierre is a guy who can hit leadoff when Pods can't & a guy willing to sacrifice his AB's to move Pods over. That role should allow Pierre to concentrate on his defense more.

Pods, Pierre, Dye, Kong, Thome, Iguchi, AJP, Crede, Uribe = WOW!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
I get the feeling Ozzie is in touch with people around MLB a lot more than the average analyst or fan realizes.  I think he knew that Loria was gonna hold a fire sale.  That's why I think he was up front well before any action in saying he wants a new #2 hitter.

If Loria is serious about fielding a team under $20M next year it won't cost us Cotts or even a starter to get Pierre.  What Ozzie expects from Pierre is a guy who can hit leadoff when Pods can't & a guy willing to sacrifice his AB's to move Pods over.  That role should allow Pierre to concentrate on his defense more.

Pods, Pierre, Dye, Kong, Thome, Iguchi, AJP, Crede, Uribe = WOW!

They want a team under 40 mil preferably, not 20.

I remember last year when KW was quoted as saying the White Sox are not interested in Tadahito Iguchi or AJ, also.

Exactly.

Personally I think we will see two more additions to this team. If Konerko doesn't re-sign, you'll see even more moves.