JUAN PIERRE

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a plug for Pierre from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Doesn't sound too bad--a workaholic:

BASEBALL: Marlins' sell-off can aid Braves

Terence Moore - Staff

Thursday, December 1, 2005

Juan Pierre. He's exceptional. He's available. He's exactly what the Braves need to push their streak of consecutive division titles to 15. Not only that, he's capable of doing enough with his bat, glove, legs and heart to end their annoying habit of vanishing each October.

We're talking about a guy who arrives at the ballpark five hours before most of his teammates. Prior to games on the road, he fires balls against the outfield walls to make sure that he knows all of the possible ricochets. He even spends time rolling balls from home plate toward first and third base, just to see how far to place his bunt attempts down the lines.

Here's the biggest thing: He's the ultimate winner. In fact, it was Pierre's considerable energy that did the most to propel the Florida Marlins to a world championship for the 2003 season. In other words, if the Braves take my advice about Pierre, the choppers and the chanters needn't worry about those gathering storms. You have the suddenly potent Mets, for instance, but this is only a mirage. They are doing what they always do after imploding in a New York minute, and that is, they are throwing a bunch of pennies at folks and praying that it works. They got Carlos Delgado to smash the ball, and they got Billy Wagner to keep hitters from doing so.

This isn't a mirage: Rafael Furcal is going, going, almost gone. All that he did during his six years with the Braves was provide a wonderful spark as a leadoff hitter and own a solid glove at shortstop that nearly was golden last season.

I mean, didn't he? And isn't it time to wonder if the Braves will vanish earlier next season than normal?

Jack McKeon chuckled over the phone on Wednesday from his home in Elon, N.C., between chomping on one of his eternal cigars. He's a baseball lifer who most recently managed the Marlins before retiring after last season. He chuckled, because the Mets and Furcal notwithstanding, he can't fathom how anybody can believe that the Braves will stop winning the National League East as long as John Schuerholz is general manager and Bobby Cox is manager.

"Listen. Everybody thought we were going to walk away with the thing last year after we picked up one guy, and that one guy was Carlos Delgado," said McKeon, still chuckling, whose Marlins finished seven games behind the Braves. "You know, I like Furcal, but there is nobody who is not replaceable. Look at how the Braves brought in all of those young kids [18 rookies] last year, and they just took off. It's getting the right players, and that's the knack that Bobby and John have. They're always able to get somebody who fits in and can pick them up."

Did I mention Juan Pierre? He's the Marlins' center fielder. With a phone call to those operating the latest fire sale for this sorry Florida franchise, Pierre is the Braves' left fielder (some guy named Andruw Jones already is in center).

Yes, Pierre slumped to .276 last season, but that still was just eight points lower than Furcal's batting average during what was considered a superlative year for the Braves' catalyst. And Pierre's lifetime mark is .305 as the leadoff guy that the Braves would have with a Furcal departure. He steals bases, and he rarely is caught (267 out of 363 attempts). He makes contact more often than not (never more than 52 strikeouts in a season). Mostly, since the Braves are traditionally a finesse team, they need as much grit as they can get, and Pierre is the grittiest player in the game. He never wants to leave the field.

Since Pierre's first full year in the majors with the Colorado Rockies in 2001, he hasn't played less than 152 games in a season. He has spent each of his three seasons with the Marlins playing every game, including every inning during the 2004 season.

"In all of the decades I've been in the game, I've only had two workaholics --- Tony Gwynn and Juan Pierre," said McKeon, still employed by the Marlins. As a result, he couldn't say how he thought Pierre would fit with the Braves. Then again, he didn't have to.

[email protected]

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Here's a plug for Pierre from the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Doesn't sound too bad--a workaholic:

BASEBALL: Marlins' sell-off can aid Braves

Terence Moore - Staff

Thursday, December 1, 2005

Juan Pierre. He's exceptional. He's available. He's exactly what the Braves need to push their streak of consecutive division titles to 15. Not only that, he's capable of doing enough with his bat, glove, legs and heart to end their annoying habit of vanishing each October.

We're talking about a guy who arrives at the ballpark five hours before most of his teammates. Prior to games on the road, he fires balls against the outfield walls to make sure that he knows all of the possible ricochets. He even spends time rolling balls from home plate toward first and third base, just to see how far to place his bunt attempts down the lines.

Here's the biggest thing: He's the ultimate winner. In fact, it was Pierre's considerable energy that did the most to propel the Florida Marlins to a world championship for the 2003 season. In other words, if the Braves take my advice about Pierre, the choppers and the chanters needn't worry about those gathering storms. You have the suddenly potent Mets, for instance, but this is only a mirage. They are doing what they always do after imploding in a New York minute, and that is, they are throwing a bunch of pennies at folks and praying that it works. They got Carlos Delgado to smash the ball, and they got Billy Wagner to keep hitters from doing so.

This isn't a mirage: Rafael Furcal is going, going, almost gone. All that he did during his six years with the Braves was provide a wonderful spark as a leadoff hitter and own a solid glove at shortstop that nearly was golden last season.

I mean, didn't he? And isn't it time to wonder if the Braves will vanish earlier next season than normal?

Jack McKeon chuckled over the phone on Wednesday from his home in Elon, N.C., between chomping on one of his eternal cigars. He's a baseball lifer who most recently managed the Marlins before retiring after last season. He chuckled, because the Mets and Furcal notwithstanding, he can't fathom how anybody can believe that the Braves will stop winning the National League East as long as John Schuerholz is general manager and Bobby Cox is manager.

"Listen. Everybody thought we were going to walk away with the thing last year after we picked up one guy, and that one guy was Carlos Delgado," said McKeon, still chuckling, whose Marlins finished seven games behind the Braves. "You know, I like Furcal, but there is nobody who is not replaceable. Look at how the Braves brought in all of those young kids [18 rookies] last year, and they just took off. It's getting the right players, and that's the knack that Bobby and John have. They're always able to get somebody who fits in and can pick them up."

Did I mention Juan Pierre? He's the Marlins' center fielder. With a phone call to those operating the latest fire sale for this sorry Florida franchise, Pierre is the Braves' left fielder (some guy named Andruw Jones already is in center).

Yes, Pierre slumped to .276 last season, but that still was just eight points lower than Furcal's batting average during what was considered a superlative year for the Braves' catalyst. And Pierre's lifetime mark is .305 as the leadoff guy that the Braves would have with a Furcal departure. He steals bases, and he rarely is caught (267 out of 363 attempts). He makes contact more often than not (never more than 52 strikeouts in a season). Mostly, since the Braves are traditionally a finesse team, they need as much grit as they can get, and Pierre is the grittiest player in the game. He never wants to leave the field.

Since Pierre's first full year in the majors with the Colorado Rockies in 2001, he hasn't played less than 152 games in a season. He has spent each of his three seasons with the Marlins playing every game, including every inning during the 2004 season.

"In all of the decades I've been in the game, I've only had two workaholics --- Tony Gwynn and Juan Pierre," said McKeon, still employed by the Marlins. As a result, he couldn't say how he thought Pierre would fit with the Braves. Then again, he didn't have to.

[email protected]

Seems to contradict what most of SoxTalk thinks....

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
And the Braves got to see a lot of Pierre with both teams being in the NL East.

Exactly.

Honestly, I'd love Pierre on the Sox. The defense takes a step down but his range makes up for his arm. The speed of Pods and Pierre would make it the rangiest (if thats a word) LF/CF combo in the AL (Toss up with Gathright or Baldelli and Crawford in TB) and not to mention Dye who is a great defensive RFer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...phil&id=2242443

this is a great article regarding KW's aggressiveness. And the possibilities of going after Pierre. Phil Rogers thinks its a good possibility despite the downplay from KW and other executives. I've mentioned it before- it excites the hell out of me thinking of Pods and Pierre at the top of the lineup and Thome/Konerko/Dye in the middle of it, not to mention Gooch, AJ, Crede and Uribe solidifying the lower half. If we get Pierre I don't see how we couldn't be favored to win it all again.

Seems to contradict what most of SoxTalk thinks....

Juan Pierre is an excellent player, period. He would be a huge asset to the White Sox, and further, I believe the White Sox will get him unless some other team blows them out of the water.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
Juan Pierre is an excellent player, period.  He would be a huge asset to the White Sox, and further, I believe the White Sox will get him unless some other team blows them out of the water.

With Pierre going into his FA year, the price should be a lot lower than most of us are expecting [though if the sox did pick him up, people would still be calling it the newest "worst trade ever"]

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
With Pierre going into his FA year, the price should be a lot lower than most of us are expecting [though if the sox did pick him up, people would still be calling it the newest "worst trade ever"]

The Marlins want young pitching and young OFs. We have pleanty of both in our system. We should be the front runners on this if KW wants it.

Juan Pierre is an excellent player, period.  He would be a huge asset to the White Sox, and further, I believe the White Sox will get him unless some other team blows them out of the water.

I wouldn't call Pierre an excellent player. He doesn't play good enough defense in center field to be an excellent player. He's an excellent leadoff hitter though.

I wouldn't call Pierre an excellent player.  He doesn't play good enough defense in center field to be an excellent player.  He's an excellent leadoff hitter though.

Fine, don't call him an excellent player then. Must you nitpick every little statement I make, my goodness.

Fine, don't call him an excellent player then.  Must you nitpick every little statement I make, my goodness.

Wow, take it easy. My whole point was that Pierre isn't a top tier player. Your last post made him sound like he is. You also have to factor in things like how many runs he gives up because of his defense and weak arm in center field. If he played center field like Rowand, I would agree with you.

Edited by SSH2005

Wow, take it easy.  My whole point was that Pierre isn't a top tier player.  Your last post made him sound like he is.  You also have to factor in things like how many runs he gives up because of his defense and weak arm in center field.  If he played center field like Rowand, I would agree with you.

Wow, I think he's an excellent player, I did not say top tier and I did not know this was hair splitting class. The word excellent isn't quantifiable anyways, so it's not worth a debate, don't know why you found the need to challenge what I posted, it was totally harmless and completely non quantifiable, totally opinion based.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
Wow, take it easy.  My whole point was that Pierre isn't a top tier player.  Your last post made him sound like he is.  You also have to factor in things like how many runs he gives up because of his defense and weak arm in center field.  If he played center field like Rowand, I would agree with you.

Ok, let's be fair. 1st off, Rowand wasn't exactly an accurate cannon in CF either BUT he is far greater defensively than Pierre ever will be. 2nd of all, Rowand is not a top-tier guy. Nor is Rowand, so you have no point. But basically, there is no point in comparing because there is no direct connection between the 2. Right now, I'd rather have Pierre than Anderson for 2006 but I hope Ando changes my opinion.

Ok, let's be fair. 1st off, Rowand wasn't exactly an accurate cannon in CF either BUT he is far greater defensively than Pierre ever will be. 2nd of all, Rowand is not a top-tier guy. Nor is Rowand, so you have no point. But basically, there is no point in comparing because there is no direct connection between the 2. Right now, I'd rather have Pierre than Anderson for 2006 but I hope Ando changes my opinion.

I never called Rowand an excellent or top tier player either though. I said that if Pierre's defense was as good as Rowand's, he would be an excellent player. I consider Pierre an excellent leadoff hitter but I don't think he's an excellent player because his defense in center field is shaky. And you guys shouldn't take offence to my opinions because I actually like Pierre. :)

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I never called Rowand an excellent or top tier player either though.  I said that if Pierre's defense was as good as Rowand's, he would be an excellent player.  I consider Pierre an excellent leadoff hitter but I don't think he's an excellent player because his defense in center field is shaky.  And you guys shouldn't take offense to my opinions because I actually like Pierre.  :)

So then it's all cool. I like Pierre too and I think the addition of him (for the right price) would solidify another run at a WS ring. Pods, Pierre, Thome, PK, Dye, Gooch, AJ, Joe, and Juan....how sick is that lineup???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)

That's nice and all.

What about Juan Pierre? :huh