B.Woodward told of Plame by Bush admin official

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/16/cia...d.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Post editor Bob Woodward testified that a senior Bush administration official told him about CIA operative Valerie Plame about a month before her identity was publicly exposed, the Post acknowledged Wednesday.

Woodward told Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, who is investigating the leak of Plame's identity, that the official talked to him about Plame in mid-June 2003, the Post said. Woodward and editors at the Post refused to identify the official other than to say it was not I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff.

Libby was indicted last month on one charge of obstruction of justice and two counts each of false statement and perjury in connection with Fitzgerald's investigation.

Plame's husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, had criticized U.S. intelligence efforts before the Iraq war. On June 23, Libby told The New York Times reporter Judith Miller that Wilson's wife might work at the CIA. Robert Novak, in a column published July 14, identified Plame as a CIA operative.

Woodward's testimony in a two-hour deposition Monday would mean that another White House official told a reporter about Plame before Libby revealed her identity to Miller. A spokesman for White House adviser Karl Rove told the Post that Rove did not discuss Plame with Woodward.

William Jeffress Jr., one of Libby's lawyers, told the Post that Woodward's testimony raises questions about his client's indictment. "Will Mr. Fitzgerald now say he was wrong to say on TV that Scooter Libby was the first official to give this information to a reporter?" Jeffress said.

Woodward, famous for his investigation with Carl Bernstein of the Watergate scandal during the Nixon administration, is now assistant managing editor of the Post. In October he was dismissive of the outing of Plame, telling CNN's Larry King that the damage from her exposure was "quite minimal."

Edited by kyyle23

National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley was the senior administration official who told Washington Post Assistant Managing Editor Bob Woodward that Valerie Plame Wilson was a covert CIA officer, attorneys close to the investigation and intelligence officials tell RAW STORY.

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/National_Sec...ource_1116.html

also

In his most recent book, Bush at War, Woodward says he was given access to classified minutes of National Security Council meetings. Both Rice and Hadley were major players in these meetings.

President Bush sat for lengthy interviews for his book, often speaking about classified information, Woodward later said. The Post editor added that he was surprised by Bush’s frankness.

"Certainly Richard Nixon would not have allowed reporters to question him like that,” he said. “Bush's father wouldn't allow it. Clinton wouldn't allow it.”

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/National_Sec...ource_1116.html

more at link

And if this paraphrased account is true, it removes any doubt as to whether the outing was intentional:

According to the attorneys, he said Hadley dismissed the trip ,by saying his wife, a covert CIA officer who worked on WMD issues, had recommended him.

EDIT to add update: That original wording above has been backed off of, and it is now not sure whether Plame's cobert status was leaked as the original story suggested:

Clarification: Due to an editing error, the first edition of this article was unclear about whether Woodward was told Plame was covert. Woodward was only told she was a CIA analyst.
Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Plame's husband wants Post to probe Woodward

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Joseph Wilson, the husband of outed CIA operative Valerie Plame, called on Thursday for an inquiry by The Washington Post into the conduct of journalist Bob Woodward, who repeatedly criticized the leak investigation without disclosing his own involvement.

"It certainly gives the appearance of a conflict of interest. He was taking an advocacy position when he was a party to it," Wilson said.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20051117/...SH-LEAK-DC.html

more at link

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Why is it that quite a few people in Washington knew she was a CIA agent BEFORE the information was "leaked", and these people are willing to testify UNDER OATH about that fact?

Just curious.

First of all...if the information was leaked to Woodward first...it's still an illegal leak no matter who did it.

And second...thus far no one has come out in Washington who is actually able to say that they knew Plame was a CIA agent before the White House began spreading that she was (scroll down at this link just over 1/2 of the way).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
First of all...if the information was leaked to Woodward first...it's still an illegal leak no matter who did it.

And second...thus far no one has come out in Washington who is actually able to say that they knew Plame was a CIA agent before the White House began spreading that she was (scroll down at this link just over 1/2 of the way).

Ok, I read it. And I have also heard an interview with at least one person who said that he knew and he would testify to that fact.

A serious question: Why is there a document for EVERYTHING that 100% discredits ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING George W. Bush ever does? Don't you think that's a little over the top?

I could probably find an article, if I wanted to spend the time, that would counter-counterpoint every single claim (falsehood) on the document you refer to here.

When does it stop?

Again, for the 1,000th time in the last week (or so it seems), the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

When I watched Bush field questions on the Plame affair a year or so ago, and heard him say essentially that there was going to be an investigation, and we had to let it run its course, but that he wouldn’t have anyone working in the White House who broke the law about this – I can remember thinking - If he were a man of any spine and honesty, all he would have ever had to do was call in his chief of staff, and tell him he wanted the names of anyone in his administration who was involved on his desk by the end of the day. Period. Then they could have decided who was going to have to fall on their swords, kick them to the curb, and be done with it. But no. Don’t they ever learn? How stupid do they think we are?

I hate that I have no respect for my President. And don't even get me started on his let's ammend the Constitution so my marriage to Laura will be safe from all those awful queers. (which even HE doesn't believe)

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)
When I watched Bush field questions on the Plame affair a year or so ago, and heard him say essentially that there was going to be an investigation, and we had to let it run its course, but that he wouldn’t have anyone working in the White House who broke the law about this – I can remember thinking - If he were a man of any spine and honesty, all he would have ever had to do was call in his chief of staff, and tell him he wanted the names of anyone in his administration who was involved on his desk by the end of the day.  Period.  Then they could have decided who was going to have to fall on their swords, kick them to the curb, and be done with it.  But no.  Don’t they ever learn?  How stupid do they think we are?

I hate that I have no respect for my President.  And don't even get me started on his let's ammend the Constitution so my marriage to Laura will be safe from all those awful queers. (which even HE doesn't believe)

One issue, if you've read some of my thoughts, that I agree with you 100% on is the "gay marriage" amendment. I become incensed that our government has to be involved in this. Truthfully, I hate it that our government is involved in about 90% of what they are involved in.

I'm definitely a "people's rights" kind of person. For property, marriage, taxes, etc. I know that we have to have some support from our government... but certainly not the bloated cow that it is now.

I see last night that they had a midnight vote - you know - the ones that will get their ass in trouble if they have it in the middle of the afternoon - ... (f***ers) ... they voted to carve out education, health care, etc. But they can pass the biggest pork bill two months ago in HISTORY on the highway bill. This is the kind of stuff that sends me into orbit.

Now MY costs are going to go up because they didn't have the restraint in so many other areas where they needed to, and the thing is I can do NOTHING about it... because MY representative doesn't matter. It's the rotten core of the whole little corruption center we like to call Washington, DC.