Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I think your right about that, expect for the Owens. I dont think Owens is ready, and has no spot on this yet, so it would be dumb to let him rot on the bench.

I

Well, you go into spring training, assuming Brian Anderson will be the centerfielder (if Rowand traded) and then if Owens impresses, maybe he beats him out or is a backup...if not, off to Triple A

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about trading for Thome after reading this:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spor...407_mari17.html

"If they want to upgrade their pitching, they'll have to bite a bullet and give up obvious value. We like those kids, [Felix] Hernandez and [Yuniesky] Betancourt. And if a team has money, they'd have to go for Sexson. If he hit 40 homers [39] in Seattle, he'd be close to 50 in most other parks."

The Phillies reportedly tried to sell Seattle on Jim Thome, playing on manager Mike Hargrove's history with him in Cleveland. Those talks supposedly ended when the Phils brought up Hernandez's name.

The Phillies want Felix Hernandez for Jim Thome? Okay. :headshake

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
That means that Gio, Liotta, Haig, maybe ever BMAC is in their sights for Thome.  And I wouldnt do that deal.

Meh, they're just trying to get as much as they can, they obviously know they won't get a ton for Thome. We'll see, I like our chances to land Jim for a reasonable price.

In order for the Sox to get the Phillies to pick up a good chunk of his contact, they're going to have to offer a top prospect or two. I have a feeling that the prospect they'll want is Gio. If it equates to the Phillies picking up like 20 million over the next 3 years, I'd be all for that deal.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
It's going to be give or take, and thats fair. I could see the Sox trying to get rid of one of the OF prospects as well, which I would not be against. I try to hold on to Mac, Gio,Haigwood, ect. I would not be upset if Owens or Sweeney went and the Phills picked up a bunch of Thomes contract.

Yep, it's definitely going to take something of value to get something of value. The Phillies are the type of team that could always use more pitching prospects.

It's going to be give or take, and thats fair. I could see the Sox trying to get rid of one of the OF prospects as well, which I would not be against. I try to hold on to Mac, Gio,Haigwood, ect. I would not be upset if Owens or Sweeney went and the Phills picked up a bunch of Thomes contract.

We shall see what happend.

I don't see Phils wanting another OF prospect compared to a SP one. They have the offense they need pitching...IMO

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
Its always better when assessing a situation to look and see whats going happening on the other side of the fence

Phils fans

Interesting to see what they want

Because Philly fans on the MLB board are going to pull the trigger on this deal and all :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Because Philly fans on the MLB board are going to pull the trigger on this deal and all :bang

Do you want the wet blanket award.

It interesting to see what they value, kind of like someone reading what YOU want in a trade, you over posting Beyotch!!!!!!

Its always better when assessing a situation to look and see whats going happening on the other side of the fence

Phils fans

Interesting to see what they want

This is the best deal, we should do it

The Sox are probably willing to part with Aaron Rowand, Damaso Marte, Luis Vizcaino, and/or Orlando Hernandez, maybe Garland if the deal is right.

If Thome gets traded it should be interesting to revisit those boards, because no matter where Thome goes I have a feeling it will be for very little current major league talent.

The Phils don't have to pay Ryan Howard for awhile, so they can still eat a good portion of that contract and Howard will likely be a bargain.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
If Thome gets traded it should be interesting to revisit those boards, because no matter where Thome goes I have a feeling it will be for very little current major league talent. 

The Phils don't have to pay Ryan Howard for awhile, so they can still eat a good portion of that contract and Howard will likely be a bargain.

I think we as Sox fans learned how much talent it costs to aquire fiscal flexibility last year in the Carlos Lee deal. Maybe Philly fans haven't learned this yet.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
I think we as Sox fans learned how much talent it costs to aquire fiscal flexibility last year in the Carlos Lee deal.  Maybe Philly fans haven't learned this yet.

awesome post/point

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
I think KW knows he can't risk trading one of our starters. NONE of them are expendable. If he can somehow bring Thome here by paying little and giving up very little- he shall be praised once again by White Sox nation!

There is NO such thing as a White Sox nation..

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Think they would settle for Liotta?

Liotta is too much. The sox shouldn't be trading away very good starting pitching prospects. Position players, maybe. Esp. if the sox take on a good bunch of his contract.

The Phils could use bullpen help. And the sox have shown that even a guy like Gary Majewski could play a part of getting a bat. Arms like Baj, Adkins and Munoz could play minor roles.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Ummmm something i dont think anyone has pointed out yet.  But I DO believe that Thome is the most dangerous opposing team hitter who has ever played at the Cell.  At least one of the most dangerous, I think he has hit the most Hr's there by an opposing hitter, i could be wrong, and im not going to look it up but I think its around 18

He absolutely rakes at the Cell.