Bob Nightengale: Sox Tell Phills They Want Thome

Wealz

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
If this all goes through with PK and Thome, I guess that puts the big "Kabash" on any chance of keeping all of us Frank Thomas fans happy next year. Pk at first, plus Thome at  DH equals a bye bye Frank. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We go through all this speculation stuff every year, and then KW pulls some sort of unexpected rabbit out of his hat that no one even saw coming.

Did I miss something? When did Frank get eliminated from the picture?

I think Frank will be back to DH and we'll have Paulie OR Thome, at 1B. I'm trying not to get too geeked about Thome, he might be my fav non White Sox player.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss something?  When did Frank get eliminated from the picture? 

I think Frank will be back to DH and we'll have Paulie OR Thome, at 1B.  I'm trying not to get too geeked about Thome, he might be my fav non White Sox player.

Let's take a look at the possibilities:

#3 Frank DH

#4 Konerko 1B

-------------------

#3 Thome 1B

#4 Frank DH

-------------------

#3 Thome DH

#4 Konerko 1B

:huh

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 16, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
The Sox should wait out on this trade as long as possible.  One Thome has a no-trade clause and will accept a trade to Sox and the more we lead on to the Phils that we won't give in to their demands, the less we have to give up.

If Pauly then signs with another team we have no leverage, it would be best to get a trade done for a 1b/dh as soon as possible.

The White Sox believe that Thome can help bring them another World Series championship. He not only provides insurance in case free agent first baseman Paul Konerko flees for a potential five-year, $65 million contract offer from the Angels, but he becomes the finest DH in the game if Konerko returns."

interesting, but who would we part with

From rotoworld:

"Twins GM Terry Ryan said he wouldn't consider dealing for Jim Thome until seeing him healthy and swinging the bat well in spring training.

He's apparently not the only GM who feels that way about Thome, who is recovering from elbow surgery. Ryan also said he's not interested in Alfonso Soriano or Doug Mientkiewicz, and that he doesn't see Jacque Jones or Joe Mays returning to Minnesota. Nov. 17 - 2:50 am et"

The sox are in a position to gamble a little bit, betting that Thome will be able to recover and hit near his 2004 numbers when healthy. Few other teams will be willing to invest in an injured player who may not be ready for opening day AND be a team Thome will want to play for. the sox can and probably should if the deal involves a lot of cash and few top prospects or players

If the Sox present Phillies GM Gillick any kind of decent offer, I bet he jumps at it

From rotoworld:

"Twins GM Terry Ryan said he wouldn't consider dealing for Jim Thome until seeing him healthy and swinging the bat well in spring training.

He's apparently not the only GM who feels that way about Thome, who is recovering from elbow surgery. Ryan also said he's not interested in Alfonso Soriano or Doug Mientkiewicz, and that he doesn't see Jacque Jones or Joe Mays returning to Minnesota. Nov. 17 - 2:50 am et"

The sox are in a position to gamble a little bit, betting that Thome will be able to recover and hit near his 2004 numbers when healthy. Few other teams will be willing to invest in an injured player who may not be ready for opening day AND be a team Thome will want to play for. the sox can and probably should if the deal involves a lot of cash and few top prospects or players

If the Sox present Phillies GM Gillick any kind of decent offer,  I bet he jumps at it

Another good reason to go after Thome -- to block the Twins from getting him. The Twins have the prospects to make the move if the Phillies pick up a lot of Thome's contract. If they trade for Thome, keep Hunter, and Morneau rebounds, they could have a potent 3-4-5 punch.

Seeing Thome wearing the high black socks like Podsednik and Crede would also be classic. :D

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Another good reason to go after Thome -- to block the Twins from getting him.  The Twins have the prospects to make the move if the Phillies pick up a lot of Thome's contract.  If they trade for Thome, keep Hunter, and Morneau rebounds, they could have a potent 3-4-5 punch.

Seeing Thome wearing the high black socks like Podsednik and Crede would also be classic.  :D

Thome will be gone by ST. But I hear what you're saying. The twins prospects could land a very good bat, which they seem intent on doing. But if the sox keep adding to their roster and the AAA team, they won't have to worry about the twins

Thome will be gone by ST. But I hear what you're saying. The twins prospects could land a very good bat, which they seem intent on doing. But if the sox keep adding to their roster and the AAA team, they won't have to worry about the twins

All the Twins have to do is form a decent offense and they will be good again next season. They will have a very nice rotation of Santana, Radke, Silva, Baker, and Liriano and a studly bullpen. If they add some good offensive players this offseason, they will be back to winning 90+ games again.

Why not have them pay half of his contract... and give them Rowand and Marte? That way we have him cheap and we dont lose any prospects. And Anderson can step in for Rowand right away and give us just about what Rowand did last season.

Podsenick

Iguchi

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Pieryznski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

That would also allow us to be able to sign Mueller too for insurance if Crede either sucks or has the back problems. Basicly the lineup mostly the same but you judge if you think the difference between Carl and Thome is bigger than Rowand and Anderson lol.

Why not have them pay half of his contract... and give them Rowand and Marte?  That way we have him cheap and we dont lose any prospects.  And Anderson can step in for Rowand right away and give us just about what Rowand did last season.

Podsenick

Iguchi

Konerko

Thome

Dye

Pieryznski

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

That would also allow us to be able to sign Mueller too for insurance if Crede either sucks or has the back problems.  Basicly the lineup mostly the same but you judge if you think the difference between Carl and Thome is bigger than Rowand and Anderson lol.

I would make that trade in a second. Rowand and Marte will earn a combined $5.5 million in 2006. If the Phillies pay half of Thome's $43.5 million remaining contract, he would only cost an average of $7.25 million per season for 3 years. Anderson would replace Rowand and the lineup would be better all around. We would have a nice lefty #3 hitter that could play first base if Konerko leaves and also DH to stay healthy. Your lineup is wrong though. Thome would bat third and Konerko would bat fourth. Thome is more of a #3 hitter than Konerko is and it would also split up the lefties and righties that way. But you're right about the improvement to the lineup.

Jim Thome & Brian Anderson >>>>> Carl Everett & Aaron Rowand

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
I would make that trade in a second.  Rowand and Marte will earn a combined $5.5 million in 2006.  If the Phillies pay half of Thome's $43.5 million remaining contract, he would only cost an average of $7.25 million per season for 3 years.  Anderson would replace Rowand and the lineup would be better all around.  We would have a nice lefty #3 hitter that could play first base if Konerko leaves and also DH to stay healthy.  Your lineup is wrong though.  Thome would bat third and Konerko would bat fourth.  Thome is more of a #3 hitter than Konerko is and it would also split up the lefties and righties that way.  But you're right about the improvement to the lineup.

Jim Thome & Brian Anderson  >>>>>  Carl Everett & Aaron Rowand

OK, let me ask you this. Thome is coming off a major injury. What if he gets hurt again? Then what?

This would be huge.

1. I just do not believe Frank is coming back. Kenny has always been looking for a way to get rid of him. Now with the buy out and his health Kenny can do so and not look like a jerk. I have always loved Frank and I am happy he is getting his ring, but Kenny and I believe Ozzie doesn't just do not want him back.

2. I would think that a deal for Thome would get done quickly. His health is an issue, but Kenny has taken that chance before (Dye, Hernandez, Wells, Loaiza, ...). He would be the new super star in Chicago and I for one would buy a Thome jersey real quick. Everything I have read on the guy suggests he is a grinder. He comes to play everyday, he is great for fan relations, and he gets involved in the community. He would be a dream come true for Brooks.

3. Thome would be a killer at Comiskey (I will never call it the Cell). The home runs would land in the bar on a daily basis. Paul Konerko and Thome can exist together as well. I would think Thome would be a huge determining factor for Konerko to resign with the club. Who protected Konerko in the line up last year? Konerko would love to have that kind of protection, because he would see a lot of fastballs. Even if Ozzie decided to keep Konerko four and have Thome bat third Konerko is still better off.

4. Mr. Reinsdorf has the money and will spend it. The Griffey non-deal proves that. If Kenny can land a big named guy like he almost did Mr. Reinsdorf will "show him the money".

I have learned to trust Kenny Williams over the years and who ever he lands by trade or fee agency (It may be good or bad in my opinion) I will live with it especially if it gets us another Championship.

Edited by Soxman72

Who will protect Konerko if Thome gets hurt? Thats a serious question we need to have answered. Thome would be the best hitter on the team if we got him to DH. And our lineup would be more dangerous. But for the same money we could have Frank and maybe one more hitter to back him up.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
So if your saying if we save money by just re-signing Frank, and sign a good backup like you say, who is going to sit on teh bench and wait for Thomas to get hurt? Obviously your saying that we need to save money for this backup hitter, so who is going to cost alot to sit on the bench?

Just trying to fuel the debate fire Tony........ :ph34r:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
Just trying to fuel the debate fire Tony........ :ph34r:

With PK at 1B, and Thome at DH, we do have a suitable backup in place. He's not nearly the cailber of hitter either of them are, but he's suitable for a LH 1B backup: Ross Gload.

:ph34r:

...waits for Rock to go ballistic...

Just trying to incite a riot. :P

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
I know Rock, and im giving you the fire.  :P

Heres the deal, IMO.

Frank is just as much as an injury risk as Thome is, if not more. So obviously in both cases, you need some insurance. However, your argument is instead of getting Thome for lets say 8, 9 mil a season(obviously Philly is paying alot of it) we get Frank for about 3 mil. We now have 4 or 5 million dollars that we can play around with because Thome is not here. We can spread that money out, but what else do we need? Really the only thing that needs to be addressed is DH, 1b, and a LHRP if Marte gets moved.

So my next question would be if we have that 4 or 5 million to spend on a backup for Frank, what player are we going to pay 4 or 5 million to sit on the bench and wait for Frank to break his ankle....

You follow me?

Seriously though, I'd like to see use re-sign PK, trade for Thome with some salary taken by Philly, and re-sign Big Frank to an incentive-laden contract. One of those two DH's (Thome or Thomas) will be healthy, most likely. If both are, great. Thome can spell PK at 1B and Thomas can DH behind Thome and pinch hit. Yes, I realize this is an expensive option, but to me it's the best-case scenario right now.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Seriously though, I'd like to see use re-sign PK, trade for Thome with some salary taken by Philly, and re-sign Big Frank to an incentive-laden contract.  One of those two DH's (Thome or Thomas) will be healthy, most likely.  If both are, great.  Thome can spell PK at 1B and Thomas can DH behind Thome and pinch hit.  Yes, I realize this is an expensive option, but to me it's the best-case scenario right now.

And completely against Ozzie's style...

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
And completely against Ozzie's style...

Probably so. And I don't think it's the LIKELY scenario.

I am thinking a likely outcome is that it's Thomas OR Thome at DH. And Gload is the backup 1B/DH on the bench. And I think we'll re-sign PK. Rowand goes with a pitcher or two (Marte, maybe El Duque) to Philly, and we promote Anderson to starting in the OF, and Owens on the bench.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I know Rock, and im giving you the fire.  :P

Heres the deal, IMO.

Frank is just as much as an injury risk as Thome is, if not more. So obviously in both cases, you need some insurance. However, your argument is instead of getting Thome for lets say 8, 9 mil a season(obviously Philly is paying alot of it) we get Frank for about 3 mil. We now have 4 or 5 million dollars that we can play around with because Thome is not here. We can spread that money out, but what else do we need? Really the only thing that needs to be addressed is DH, 1b, and a LHRP if Marte gets moved.

So my next question would be if we have that 4 or 5 million to spend on a backup for Frank, what player are we going to pay 4 or 5 million to sit on the bench and wait for Frank to break his ankle....

You follow me?

Frank is a MUCH bigger injury risk than Thome. I love Frank, but there is no comparison there. How much longer will he be able to put all that weight on a surgically repaired ankle/foot? I am not saying he is out of shape or overweight. I am just saying he is a big huge man. I strongly doubt he will last the entire year. I just don't see how it is possible. Especially at his age.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 17, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I think your right about that, expect for the Owens. I dont think Owens is ready, and has no spot on this yet, so it would be dumb to let him rot on the bench.

I

I still think Owens could be the added speed that everyone says Ozzie is looking for. The guy can fly, and gets on base.