Another Day, Another Massacre

FlaSoxxJim

I don't believe the Second Amendment really was meant for a modern day Joe Sixpack and his handgun. At the time the Constitution was written, it was nearly impossible, and certainly inconvienent, to live without a gun. The country would not be able to afford a standing Army like any would be attackers, so a well regulated militia would come from the citizens.

I'm not anti-gun and would love to be on the range tomorrow with you, I've never had the pleasure of shooting a Glock. I love a piece of well made machinery. I think if gun owners were more responsible the world would be a better place.

I believe to be effective for home protection and gun must be readily available, loaded, and ready to go in seconds, so no complicated safety devices, no locked up ammo. That of course, is a recipe for disaster with children around, so I invested in a really good security system, and a home in a good neighborhood and leave my guns very well secured.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
I don't believe the Second Amendment really was meant for a modern day Joe Sixpack and his handgun. At the time the Constitution was written, it was nearly impossible, and certainly inconvienent, to live without a gun. The country would not be able to afford a standing Army like any would be attackers, so a well regulated militia would come from the citizens.

I'm not anti-gun and would love to be on the range tomorrow with you, I've never had the pleasure of shooting a Glock. I love a piece of well made machinery. I think if gun owners were more responsible the world would be a better place.

I believe to be effective for home protection and gun must be readily available, loaded, and ready to go in seconds, so no complicated safety devices, no locked up ammo. That of course, is a recipe for disaster with children around, so I invested in a really good security system, and a home in a good neighborhood.

Now you want to speculate about what the founders intent was when they wrote the 2nd Amendment. The answer is.......who knows. All we can do is abide by it. I think anyone who has proper training and obtains them through legal means should be able to own a firearm.

The biggest misconception about gun-rights advocates is that they are all about handing out weapons to whoever wants them. Thats not true at all. I find it funny that people rant and rave about the NRA but they dont realize that they are the strongest proponents of the type of responsible gun ownership I just outlined. They spend a trainload of money offering free classes to people about firearms ownership and marksmanship and also spend a great deal of time helping train soldiers going overseas.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
Now you want to speculate about what the founders intent was when they wrote the 2nd Amendment.  The answer is.......who knows.  All we can do is abide by it.  I think anyone who has proper training and obtains them through legal means should be able to own a firearm. 

The biggest misconception about gun-rights advocates is that they are all about handing out weapons to whoever wants them.  Thats not true at all.  I find it funny that people rant and rave about the NRA but they dont realize that they are the strongest proponents of the type of responsible gun ownership I just outlined.  They spend a trainload of money offering free classes to people about firearms ownership and marksmanship and also spend a great deal of time helping train soldiers going overseas.

I agree with you here. As far a speculation, that's almost a separate issue. I have some issues with the NRA, but they do a lot of good work. They have been over zealous at times in defending some laws and fighting others but they seem to have pulled back from the extremes. I am no longer a member so I'm back to just following some news reports.

Ah yes the gun control arguements.  It just amazes me that one side can see a slipperly slope arguement with gun control, but doesn't want to admit the samething when it comes to abortion.

Some may call it a slippery slope. I call it a nuanced point of view. I don’t care if my neighbor keeps a licensed weapon to go fulfill his desire to personally kill an animal for his dinner table. I do care if a convicted crackhead can get his hands on a handgun, or a major nutcase can stockpile armor busting weaponry.

Same way as I view a mother and her already-born child as having more intrinsic worth than an egg which just happened to get itself fertilized last night.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Ah yes the gun control arguements.  It just amazes me that one side can see a slipperly slope arguement with gun control, but doesn't want to admit the samething when it comes to abortion.

I'm not so sure I understand what you are implying.

GOP = no abortions, ever -and- no more gun controls than we already have.

DEM = abortion on demand -and- more gun controls.

I guess I'm one of the twin siders. I believe there should be some restrictions on abortions and some restrictions on guns.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm not so sure I understand what you are implying.

GOP = no abortions, ever -and- no more gun controls than we already have.

DEM = abortion on demand -and- more gun controls.

I guess I'm one of the twin siders. I believe there should be some restrictions on abortions and some restrictions on guns.

What I am implying???

Ah yes, I posted it so there must be some sinster evil conservative undertow that Dick Cheney told me to put there... :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
What I am implying???

Ah yes, I posted it so there must be some sinster evil conservative undertow that Dick Cheney told me to put there... :ph34r:

Which side isn't seeing a slippery slope for abortion and which side isn't seeing the slippery slope for gun control? I'm not getting your point, and I assume it is a good one.